Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Decided to pick this up and have spent a couple of hours fooling around with Reina because I love her. Also I am bad at Electrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

is there a slight graphical bug on pc with custom costumes? during the win pose it's over exposed, like someone is busting out a highlight on them

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I love Yoshimitsu's entrance in story mode: "Is a sword against the rules? OBVIOUSLY. But ninjas don't abide by the rules!!!"

The follow up is even better where after declaring a sword is technically illegal, Bryan opens their match with a loving minigun

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Who designed (what I presume to be) Tekken 8's final story mode battle what is thissssss

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a guide to EWGF, or even just the dash part? I feel like my dashing itself is inconsistent; some days I just "get" the timing and nail it most of the time, other days I feel like I'm doing the same thing but nothing comes out so clearly it's not sticking in my head somehow.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a video guide to hitting electrics on leverless/hitbox? Maybe less the electric, more the dash part with the reset to neutral bit. I'm playing a Junkfood Arcade Micro XL with the "opposing directions = neutral" setting which I believe is the tournament or at least Evo standard right now, and I'm struggling to get the dash consistently.

I'm pretty sure this is a rhythm issue, so if there's a video out there explaining this maybe with like a hand camera or real legible clickclacks when the buttons are pressed that'd be great. While I have played Tekken casually in the past, I never put much time with a Mishima and even if I did, it was on a stick or pad. I've translated most of my movement from stick to leverless no issue but I'm struggling with this specific one (and consecutive ROM-style superjump airdashes in Marvel but that's a different issue)

Maybe there's a leverless-specific shortcut too? I tried doing hold forward for a brief second then piano back to forward, but this felt unreliable, at least the way I was doing it. But even doing it normally for me is unreliable so what do I know.

Also while I'm at it, if there's a similar video for Korean backdashing that would be good.

Any tips is appreciated, thanks!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks everyone for EWGF on leverless tips! In looking up the guides and testing the solutions, I accidentally found a not-so-viable-but-works thing for me, which only works on facing right.

Basically, for the df+2 part, the d is held by my left hand like usual, but f and 2 is using my right hand. Since it's the same hand, timing it together is easy. Bam, easy electric. But of course, that's only in practice mode, and only facing right. In the heat of a match, going out of my standard hand positioning will be trickier.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

That's a good cue for me to ask; when is it a good idea to sidestep? I understand there are moves that track sidestep and those that don't, and some attacks hit to the side in only one direction. But I'm not sure when to deliberately sidestep (I assume it's some sort of educated guess?) - and also, if I'm right, I shouldn't be sidestepping right next to the opponent if they're in neutral since most moves are going to hit anyway it feels?

Like I see people doing dash in/out and sidestepping and looping them and that looks effective. But I'm not sure when to raw sidestep, if ever. Or reasons to do one over the other.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Leverless EWGF update: I've decided to abandon the use right hand to press right + 2 while facing right method because I wanted a uniform method that works on both sides without switching hand positioning that much.

After experimenting the best method I have personally is to think that I need to try and press 2 while pressing down instead of on down forward. I've gotten quite a few electrics, and I had small bursts where I did 2-4 of them in a row! I think this is probably the technique that'll work out for me in the long run. Only one session in so far but it's starting to "make sense" for me and I'm hoping that after sitting on it for a day or two I'll be more consistent. I'm feeling confident!

That said...

1 frame off is still more common aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

EDIT: Thinking about it a little...what if I went back to my initial method could make one of the face buttons left input and another right input..................................

EDIT EDIT: Wait hold on, am I tripping or does f, neutral, df+2 work? I feel like it works.

Couldn't figure out how to embed, but here's a clip that clearly shows f, df+2 in input history unless I'm misreading: https://imgur.com/a/P7kxAX8

Artelier fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 9, 2024

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oh for sure. This is day one of practice so I'm just going ham with the thoughts and ideas.

I think I've settled on f, neutral, df+2, and mentally trying to press 2 during the neutral bit. Got it quite a bit at the end of the practice session, relatively easy to do the motion on leverless, and less taxing on my fingers too just doing two inputs instead of three. Got like 7 electrics in a row once so pretty happy overall.

My end of day one note is that I'm definitely more comfortable doing it to the right instead of the left because towards the right I'm index and middle fingering while towards the left I'm fourth and middle fingering. But still can both ways, and got it in the few matches I did play. Whether it was wise to throw an electric then is a different story, but hey! Starting out.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Autsj posted:

Kazuya and Reina can do f,n,df+2 due to their mist-step/wind-step, Jin and DJ cannot. You might also find wavedashing and wavedash electrics more clumsy doing f,n,df,f but mileage may vary there.
Guess that means I'm not playing Jin, sorry main character. (I kid I'll try him out at some point)

Nice Van My Man posted:

Seriously if EWGF was supposed to be hitting 2 1 frame after df I'd have it beat by now. Why is it always exactly one frame late? How is that possible?

That's why I started thinking of pressing 2 during the neutral or the down input (back when I was doing down inputs, a couple hours ago)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Day 2 of EWGF training with Reina, and I did a few online matches after warming up in training mode. Result: 0 EWGFs hit, 100% winrate.

Funniest part was mirror matching with another person who could definitely hit EWGF...from one side, and they kept fishing for it. Had an especially fun round where I opened with immediate run up side switch throw (since they always backdashed at the start), and then just ran the clock out on them as they desperately tried to fix it, ducking like 20 throw attempts to side switch again. Really appreciate that anti-EWGF tip!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This video popped up on my feed and I gotta say even just the first five minutes or so made me understand Tekken far better than I did previously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEw98pnmtyo

Anytime BoxBox went "But wait, whuhhhhhh?????", that was me irl

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Day 3 of practicing EWGF, except I was too lazy to plug in my leverless so I'm playing on pad just to kill a bit of time.

....anyway I'm much, much better at hitting electric on pad it turns out. No button fuckery, just raw df+2 at the right timing. It's not 100% but we're about 60% or so in the last five minutes what did I do all that practice on leverless for

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Update: I feel like I am actively destroying my left thumb

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Day 4 of learning EWGF, back on leverless, and it's still not really consistent, but I'm starting to get the feel of when I got it or not. Most of the time it's no, but my body is starting to understand the feeling of when I do get it.

Also went into ranked for a bit and managed to hit double EWGF combo in for the first time wheeeee. Did I win the match? No, but hey, I hit it!! (I need to learn when do people actually use this)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Seltzer posted:

I'm going to steal and quote this whole post from the tekken reddit of Knee breaking down how he feels about every character right now

Reina:

Has a bugged wall combo (note: likely talking about this co

What is this bugged wall combo please?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Day 5 of EWGF training, and it's starting to come together. Starting to get a real feel for "I really want an electric" vs "eh either one is fine" so I've been pulling it off in training mode and matches far more consistently today. Managed to frame trap and whiff punish with it too! Really grateful for everyone's tips and suggestions.

After a few more days I hope I'll be able to weave it in between dashes and sidesteps, and hopefully one day maybe do that multi-crouch dash consecutively thing if it's possible with Reina

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Day 6 of EWGF training and the streak of getting more consistent is broken; my hit rate is faaaar lower today than the last couple times of play, oh well.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, generic throws can be broken with either 1 or 2 but if you're practicing breaks might as well try to do them "right" for when it matters. Any weird looking throw I try 1+2 to see if it works first, if i can even react to it in time lol. Most of my "throw breaks" are me accidentally getting them because I was mashing an attack lol

Why is breaking 2 better than 1? Or is this like a "There are more 2break specific throws than 1 thing so might as well practice that"

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Took a break for a few days but back with Day 7 of practicing Electrics. Hit quite a bit of them in training, and spent more time than usual playing ranked and trying to hit them. About half of them were Electrics, but right now using them in places where I don't mind if the regular uppercut comes out.

Speaking of ranked, is it normal to fight people like, way outside your rank? Like I fought a Mighty Ruler; took a couple of rounds over the two matches but basically got smoked, which is to be expected, but uh...based on my +-3 ranking limits, I don't think I should be encountering them when I'm still a Warrior right?

I don't really mind playing people much better than me but the whole point I was trying it out in ranked and keeping it to a relatively tight ranking gap was so that I could practice how to hit electrics more consistently in real match settings while fighting people more or less around my skill level.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 1, 2024

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

great big cardboard tube posted:

Fuckin revelation for perfect electrics on keyboard or hitbox: Tekken let's you bind dpad and left stick separately, if you have your asd/space or wasd or hitbox set to dpad, add a left stick right and left next to your 2 and 4.

Tap forward, hold down, 2+the button beside it for p1 side, 2+the button beside 4 for p2. I'm instantly getting 100% electric accuracy and the speed is picking up so much for punishes.

quoting for checkinglater

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fuckin revelation for perfect electrics on keyboard or hitbox: Tekken let's you bind dpad and left stick separately, if you have your asd/space or wasd or hitbox set to dpad, add a left stick right and left next to your 2 and 4.

Tap forward, hold down, 2+the button beside it for p1 side, 2+the button beside 4 for p2. I'm instantly getting 100% electric accuracy and the speed is picking up so much for punishes.

So I tested this with my Junkfood Micro XL and from what I can tell on controller, you can't rebind analog stick keys unless it's to another analog stick key, so I guess what that means is I guess I'm a keyboard player now

(I'm kidding. Probably)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Late update for you since I randomly saw it pointed out elsewhere: you can change controller settings in your Steam library to do exactly this on any device without rebinding the buttons themselves if you're on PC.

My Haute came in last night, really loving this thing so far, I'm still not a good player but now I'm a bad player who can very easily kbd and fast electric so I can spend more time learning other things.

The power...THE POWER

Thank you!! Just went online and hit alllll the electrics. Played a few Reina Ranked matches and hit quite a few of them, and since they were mostly reliable (still flubbed a few) I suddenly could "see" when to use it and whiff punished so much.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

For sure try out keyboard first and I'd recommend using asd/space to get used to the thumb for up.

i recommend this too but i went with wef space over asd space to simulate how my finger placement would be angled on a leverless

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Please ranked I beg of you, don't match me up with people 80000 points above me let me test stuff among people around my skill level please

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Char posted:

(Videos)

I was idly watching some of the matches while doing work, and I agree with the posters before; your punishes should be accompanied by a combo if at all possible. Especially that Lars sweep; there are so many moments where you hit it, and you could probably do at least some sort of basic thing, but you just let the opponent fall and get back up (sometimes you follow up with a grounded sweep). And you keep going for the sweep, which gets blocked and punished sometimes too.

Like, from my POV if I was the opponent, that means I need to get tagged with that sweep like 20 times before I lose a round, even if you counter hit me. But if I make like 3-4 good reads into say, a hop kick which goes over lows, I win that round. But if you had a combo associated with it, even if it's unoptimal, then I gotta look out for it since I might have 20% or more of my health depleted with one bad guess.

Eventually, you would probably want everything to do massive damage of course. But right I would advise to figure out specifically that, since it's a move you seem to like, and a move you managed to tag quite a few opponents with. Doesn't need to be optimal, but just something that you can reliably do once you see that you landed a counterhit sweep.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Char posted:

IIRC Leo's db+4 doesn't do anything on CH.
You mean I should be using the fastest wr I have if I hit with the sweep only?

I should have specified, sorry! I don't play Leo so I don't know the specifics, but specifically on counter hit sweep (where the opponent falls down, which you hit quite a few times in the matches that I saw, there's a combo opportunity. Most of the time when I saw you hit that, you just kinda stood there, maybe you did a follow up sweep (which did minimal damage or was blocked)

I went into training mode, and from db+4 counterhit, I can definitely do 4, df+1 3, dash in, f+2 2 for 52 damage (about 20ish percent health). I'm sure this is not optimal, not my character and I barely experimented. But with this, that means if I hit 5 counterhit sweeps, theoretically, I win the round. If I skip doing the counterhit combo, I need to hit the sweep what, 25 times or so before I win a round.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Are certain moves guaranteed if the opponent is face down? I've been messing around with some Reina combo variations, and one specific one with the wall at a certain distance leaves them face down, with me at frame advantage.

I thought I could do d+4, 1 but the punch whiffs. Then I tried crouch dash 3 and that seems to work, all the time, but it doesn't count in the combo counter, so I'm not sure. I manually tested a little by setting the opponent's get up recovery to random and went down the list and it feels like it works all the time, but I'm not certain if there's a correct methodology to test this.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Okay, can someone explain how sidestepping works to me like I'm a five year old? I just can't get it.

Like I just did a Reina/Reina mirror match and they sidestepped some of my moves, and when I tried to induce the same situation, sidestepping the same way, I get stuffed or forced into block (I normally tap sidestep then holding block normally). What am I not getting?

Every time I'm matched up against someone better than me, it almost always comes down to better movement in general most likely, but pretty much all of them definitely have better sidestepping. Is it a hitbox thing, I'm too close? Am I inputting it too early? Too late? Do I have to do a full sidestep? (Which I tried, but I got stuffed every time I tried it too)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Autsj posted:

Sidestep tips

Thank you so much for this detail! I didn't know most of these rules (except one side hurtbox bigger than other), so it's making more sense to me. Especially the ones about realignment and how dash attacks (like Reina's f, f+2) can have limited realignment. Back to the lab to test problem moves more in depth!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Guys, I did it!

I purposefully sidestepped a linear move!

In a match!!!!!!

I AM UNSTOPPABLE

Narrator: He was very stoppable

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a way to filter by types of players? I was on a series of good, relatively even matches, but suddenly I fought three players, all PC, and all of them had super horrible lag in game (though the connection said it was 5 bars). Not sure what's up.

Not to say that this happens with all PC players, but I feel like I haven't seen this issue with console players. But PC will be like 5 bars full connection also it suddenly stutters when the match starts

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

there are some psychopaths who are doing netplay with computers that can barely get 30 fps. there's not much you can do except not rematch them afterwards

Oh right, I didn't even think about underpowered PCs, yeah that was probably it for at least one of those bad matches. The guy was playing King and just did a million armour moves and throws and big hits, and with everything jittering so bad I couldn't really do much, even if I did land a hit I couldn't follow up.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Please pitch me a second character to play! I've been maining Reina all this time, and I've made it to the bottom of the purple ranks thanks to everyone's advice and now Every Fight Is Brutal so I want to take a break for a bit by dipping elsewhere. Like they're still matches that could go either way, but they're sweaty as hell now.

I'm not too particular on what this second character is and almost everyone looks kind of fun tbh! But here are things that appeal to me right now when I think of switching:
- Has a good low in there somewhere; Reina only had okay-okay lows
- Maybe doesn't go from one stance to another all the time - some stances is fine, more like I don't wanna do the "f, f+2 or 1, 1, 2 or df+1 into Sentai stance" that Reina did all the time
- Fun combos I guess? Stylish, or satisfying to hit, or both, or anything really that is "fun" to you

I realise this is likely most of the cast, but I dunno, it's still hard for me to pinpoint what I want. I picked Reina initially because her trailer showed off her stompy stomp gameplay (which turned out to be in the movelist but doesn't trigger as often as the trailer would imply). By the time I realised I wasn't gonna be stomping all the time I kind of was all-in on learning her.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Umbreon posted:

Like ideally you want to make sure your opponent doesn't get to play as much as possible

just so you know, this is pretty much the ideal high level play across fighting games in general

it's okay to not like tekken or think it's not for you or you don't enjoy it! but this aspect is common, especially as you get into the more competitive levels - this iteration in particular has very strong tools to keep the initiative and i think it's acknowledged across the player base

a lot of people will find a thing that works, hopefully it leads to a situation where they get to force you to guess, and hopefully, they themselves don't have to guess and even if you guess right, they are at best, back at even between the two players - the genre is oppressive like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I get the frustration, and unfortunately, maybe Tekken 8 is just not the game for you? This one has the Heat Smash, has the Heat Dash, and has quite a number of armour moves, which makes it even extra oppressive over regular Tekken. Like previous games also did massive damage (cue infamous Tekken 7 Akuma/Geese) but they didn't really have any real get out of jail free cards.

But also, this part shows a difference between how you think and how I think at least:

Umbreon posted:

Combos are cool as hell, I just wish they weren't so lethal for how little it takes to do them.

Ah, I was signing myself up for posts like this when I was being honest, so I can't blame you for it.

It's the feeling of being juggled and losing control for so long. Another fighting game I've played in the past and enjoy a lot is Blazblue, where they have a combo breaker system that allows you to free yourself out of a combo once per match(roughly) as it can be done during hitstun and launches your opponent backward and away from you when it hits. At a minimum, it gives you some agency even when you're getting trashed, you at least have one more chance to try again. For a game as lethal as Tekken, I think something like that would be cool. If not that, then safer options on wake-up would be cool too, to reduce the amount of getting comboed and then reset into another combo and then the match ends without you ever actually doing anything.

When I'm getting combo'd, I don't like hang onto the feeling that I've lost control, I'm normally spending it thinking.
- Do I know the character? What's the common ender at the end, and how are they likely to follow up, and what should I do?
- Do I have data on the player? Are they likely to drop and I need to react fast if they do? Do they have a certain mixup that they favour over others (almost always the answer is yes) and what can I do about it? Are they steadfast and risk averse (probably should play it safe) or are they greedy at this moment in time (they might go high risk, what can I do to punish them for it)?
- How fancy is the combo? (A good gauge of their confidence level, especially if they're doing a fancier than usual one)
- How did I get into that situation in the first place? It's a hit yes, but was it because I was trying to mash at a time I shouldn't have been mashing? Am I sure - should I attempt to induce the same situation and try a different response on my side? Or should I try to make sure it never repeats again, and if so, how?

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think of myself as not playing the game even though I've lost control or gotten punished for guessing wrong or anything like that. I'm mostly "Ah, drat, okay. Let's see....."

Not saying necessarily that you have to think this way or to engage the game on this level either. If you've already hit your tipping point, maybe talking it out and possibly dropping the game is best. I'm just saying this is how I approach fighting games in general, and if you try maybe there's still fun to be had there. Or maybe it feels like it's too much effort and that's it for Tekken 8. That's okay too.