Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Bryan combo video I made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQroBV-sICY

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Spamming backdash (bb, bb, bb, bb) is better than it was previously and will cover more ground quicker than it did in 7, but kbding is still faster. So you can kick the can down the road a bit and get by with regular backdashing for longer than you could in previous games, but you should probably still eventually learn to kbd. A bigger thing is when you should kbd compared to regular backdashing, because even at high levels both have their uses.

For general thread use, here's still probably the best kbding guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHur59-dhCo

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Weasling Weasel posted:

As someone who is more confident in taking time and waiting to punish and counter rather than rushing down and going on the offence, is there a particular way I should go for my first character. Feeling Leo and Jun's vibes and I think like everyone I think Reina is cool, but she looks like she's going to be the Tekken 8 Ken and also seems a little bit more difficult to start with?

Also I appreciate that the ranking percentiles may be difficult, but in terms of Tekken 7 how difficult is the trophie for ranking up to Vanquisher going to be for a beginner?

If you are leaning towards Leo and Jun and want punishment heavy gameplay, I would lean farther towards Jun. She has very good punishment across most frames (including the best? i10 punisher) and will reward patience and has a neat heat gimmick. RE: hitting Vanquisher, in T8 there is no ranked demotions below yellow rank and if it follows the same structure as 7 (it does, but with less ranks) then Vanquisher is just a few ranks higher than that

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

unattended spaghetti posted:

If I love guile because counter play is fun, who's good to try out? Long pokes, baiting mistakes, and being a wall for someone to overcome is kind of my style.

Dragunov probably? Good pokes, long limbs, great frames and not overly committal

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

That's not true I see u all the time in the painting thread. Anyways RE: Goons to play with regularly, the Tekken channel on the Goonsgarden discord is pretty active and we will all be playing 8 regularly so pull thru

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Happy launch day, this video is pretty good and goes over the systemic changes from 7 if you want to see some of the smaller tweaks.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Made a Bryan combo tutorial since online doesn't work anyways, give it a watch if you want to get his bnbs down quickly.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

finished opening weekend in mid oranges, won my area's first t8 local, then choked and came in 5th in the second. Game owns big time, looking forward to playing it for the next 10 years or whatever they said they were expecting to get out of it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

brainSnakes posted:

I wish I was cool enough to do taunt jet upper bullshit

He lost his most potent knockdown tool that was a setup for TJU anyways so it's just all in on taunt b4 or taunt db1+2.

RE: seeing a lot of characters, my play session last night was almost entirely Ravens. Not exaggerating I think out of 20 opponents 15 were playing Raven.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

RE: Bryan's difficulty, taunt is usually pointed to as the reason for his perceived difficulty but as mentioned he is missing some pretty generic Tekken tools that just make him harder to play. If someone does something -14 awesome you are one of the few in the cast able to launch it but it is locked behind a motion input. If someone does something -15 you don't get to df2 or hopkick it, you have to do a motion input. You have a backsway so if you try to do the simpler qcb b qcb b shortcut to kbd you won't be able to. His primary low is locked behind a motion input, his new extremely powerful pseudo electric is locked behind a motion input, his launching mid you mix the low with is on a motion input, his most damaging ws launcher involves a sideswap, etc. I don't think any of these things are hard and in exchange for not having some pretty basic tools you have Bryan poo poo that more than makes up for it, but then you are learning Bryan poo poo and not generic Tekken tools.

Also RE: TJU, it lost one of it's main setups now that 3+4 doesn't knd on normal hit so you won't be seeing it as much anyways but taunt b4 is basically an essential tool and you can't watch a comp Bryan game without either seeing it land or seeing the threat of it keep an opp down at the wall.

Sorry for the Bryan wall of text I love this character more than pretty much anything gaming related at this point.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Autsj posted:

Yeah, so this is a Tekken thread, please let your nerd out without apologies.

I actually forgot about the motion input on his hatchet kick, which is actually a very fair point. He does still have his d3 or whatever the input was for is long range low poke? It's been a very long time since I dabbled with Bryan.

His d4 has very long range as a good non-committal low poke, d3 is a bit stubbier and has worse frames but in exchange on CH you get d3,2 for decent damage and in 8 if you hold 1+2 on the 2's hit he goes into his install state

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I see. I’m a little disappointed then that Lili’s unlockable costumes are “Asuka’s default” and “Lili’s default without the dress” … but I guess most characters unlockable costumes are like that now that I think about it

Bryan's is just his p1 default but with a black tshirt on which sounds lame, until you put a little red beret on him and have Krauser

Tibbeh posted:

So I've been a Julia main for years and pretty much stuck to couch matches against friends exclusively. If I pick up T8, who would feel closest to Julia for me to try?

Probably Leo

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Orv posted:

Story mode was great but honestly the best part of it was them giving Dragunov an in-universe reason to crawl into a fight. Absolutely broke me.

Yeah this bit was really good

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think so, you can just set it to one or the other in the restart settings.

If you want to keep flipping I think the fastest is using a side switch throw

Edit: oh actually you can use the "record status" to set it to the other side and just push restart or reproduce to get each side

Lol cool, I think I asked if this was possible in the original T7 thread when I was first starting, or maybe it was in the discord

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Can I help you find anything today?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Zafina was never popular anyways in 7 even when she was one of the best characters in the game, something about her has always kept her in the bottom few characters in every single Tekken game. I don't know if people are scared of her stances or just don't like her aesthetic or what, but regardless of her power level no one plays her.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Spuckuk posted:

Bryan is probably the biggest rear end in a top hat for playing keepout, 3+4, qcb1, are safe or plus and ch into full combos

This, Bryan is *the* keep out character. Aforementioned 3+4 and qcb1 are great keepout tools, and he also has orbital heel which has almost the same range as 3+4 to stuff out low approaches like slides. Qcf1+2 is also a very sick gently caress Off button and is a heat engager, and once he's in heat he gets to party for a few seconds with 3+4,2 and Neo Mach Breaker (ff1+2). Once heat runs out as long as you weren't using a Snake Eyes move during it fizzling out you get one more free charge of Snake Eyes and you can run back out with your new life lead and resume keepout or press your advantage near a wall and switch to his still crazy wall pressure.

I will say once they are in on you though, Bryan is sorta struggling right now to get them back off without burning heat.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

That Gwd of Destruction guy does have a nasty Bryan and I do like his combos from a pure damage point of view, but one thing I never like when I watch other Bryans do combos or in combo videos is the lack of getting Snake Eyes mid combo. That to me is worth the reduction in damage. I haven't watched Ty's combo video. I'll have to see if he does the same.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Jeremor posted:

Is Paul a difficult character to learn tekken with? For some reason his stuff is difficult for me to pull off. Can't put my finger on it. Any tips?

As mentioned above he's a motion input character so depending on your fighting game background he's either very easy or way more difficult than some of the others in the cast. He has a backsway out of qcb which is going to force you to backdash correctly as you improve otherwise you will get random backsways that you can be hit out of rather than proper backdashes. His actual bnb combos aren't high damage contrary to peoples perceptions of Paul as a Damage Machine but he gets a whole lot of damage out of guaranteed follow-ups, heat, and standalone strong buttons. If you feel the call of Paul stick with him and as you improve he's a very deep character you can stick with basically forever, any character you try to learn with is going to have some sort of hard thing so you might as well get through it with the character you like.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Round start in Tekken is basically a quick time event if you are trying to mash a button right at the start and they are as well. If you and your opponent both mash jab as the round starts, it's more likely one of you will get it off faster than the other than it is for you to both trade with a same frame jab. You can't buffer a round start input so it just comes down to whoever comes closest to just framing right when the game starts accepting your inputs

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I get a fuckload of one and dones but only around 1 plugger every night

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Claudio is very very fun and at this point is my primary side character to Bryan. WR2 goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Seltzer posted:

Random Feng stuff- I leaned on 3,3(4) too much while climbing and the 4 extension will get you blown up a lot in reds + (even when you try to mix it or use it later in a set). Still been using it but dialing it back and mainly just using 3,3 or 3,3 into back turned and then possibly ripping the 4 late into a set, been mixing 4~3 a lot more into my approach tools. It's a good move and does chip damage. Also along with 1,3 being my main punish and 1,2,2 into back turn being a mixup ive added in 2,3,1 also. So many people in reds and higher eat that last hit even on block its a funny animation. Oh, yeah whether i do it intentionally or just end up there, if you end up like just outside the other persons range in back turn, just chill there for a second then throw the 2 armored punch out when they run in. I have had like a 9/10 success rate baiting people with it, very funny and effective.

4~3 on counter hit also has 2 very good mini combos. You can do 4~3 > b1+2 for 51 damage or you can do 4~3 > d4 > b4 > b1+2 for also 51 damage, but a farther knockback. I've been picking Feng back up in the last couple days, he's got a lot of new sauce that makes him feel like a more engaging character than before with some GREAT combos compared to 7.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Against a lot of players you can also sniff out when they are going to try to heat burst to get you off of them and then you just start throwing out some d4s or your characters equivalent and laugh as you see the power crush white aura start up around them then quickly fizzle out 3 times in a row. ESPECIALLY Kings.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Shockeh posted:

TIL that Bryan's charging kick, (not the Orbital, the running move) despite not having the 'streaks' of a tracking move, will hit people who sidestep directly behind him, so that was nice.

Slash kicks in general have VERY wonky hit boxes, they are simultaneously a great oki tool and a great movement coverage option they are very silly lol. Oh that combo didn't kill? I'm going to run up and slash kick and if they get up even slightly wrong they take an unscaled hit to the face, ggs.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Does the concept of sidestepping appeal to you, if so Tekken. If not, SF.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I want as many people to enjoy Tekken as possible but when I see people ask them to sharply reduce combo length or remove them altogether I go "oh no, as an existing Tekken player I would actually hate that a lot."

In short

Pockyless posted:

Combos are fun to do

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Small Tekken is tense and cool and where true high level gameplay lies but the threat of overextending with a big move or being out-movemented and getting launched and your face blown off with a combo is what makes that gameplay so exciting

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

B3 is -14 now??????????????????????????

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lol yeah I know from the general norms of the game a safe mid powercrush is powerful but geez

I guess they wanted to make her heat buff more meaningful lol, she does have safe mid powercrush (* in heat) (**in stance)

I'm in shock right now this is literally the most baffling change out of all the 7 to 8 changes lmao

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Shockeh posted:

Dear every Reina. I can punish your stupid headbutt, stop doing it.

The funny bit is, I have no idea if it's even meant to be punishable, but they sure love pressing slow buttons after it.

The headbutt is -14 so yeah it's just Actually Punishable and as a Bryan I enjoy it when they press that button very much.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

WhatEvil posted:

Anybody got any pointers to learn when I can get launchers off?

Generally moves that are -15 or worse are launchable by most of the cast, and on whiff you can launch them. So get a feel for your character's fastest launcher and then maybe go down the list of the cast and find their big stupid moves that are hella punishable and keep a specific eye out for those and over time you can build on that and have a good grasp on what move is how punishable. Some general ones, if you block a low and their model staggers and goes "errg" and their leg gets stuck against your low block, you can launch that. The Mishima 112 is launch punishable and you shouldn't let them get away with it. Most attacks where they bash you with a shoulder is launch punishable (not Kings, because King is God's perfect special boy).

Also get a feel for a launcher that has a bit of range to it so if they are standing a bit farther away and use a move that has forward momentum but they don't get quite close enough and whiff you can launch it. Bryan's f4,1, Nina's uf2,1, etc. long range Death Sandwich moves like that. A lot of hopkicks also have decent range, unless your name is Feng Wei but he has f3,4 for ranged launching anyways.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I don't know how they can fix that tbh. It really sucks, I just want to run it back against people in almost any situation and more often than not now they just decline the rematch.

Unrelated to that and semi-self promotional, Markman made a thread asking for 80+ damage combos so I made another combo video on Bryan that might have some surprise "wait, that's a full launcher?" moments inside.
https://twitter.com/Nazzadan/status/1770317360705998965

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Help I think I'm addicted to Nina's d3,4,3

It is morally correct to spam this string until they show they can deal with it

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

d3,2 still launches? I thought one of the changes in t8 was that that string doesn't launch anymore.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

With 8 going down for maintenance tonight for patch + Eddy, instead of running Kinder Gym's usual Monday night FT5 exhibitions we are doing T7 so I installed it last night and fired it up and on one hand I really miss parts of it (Craig and Anna) but on the other hand gently caress this game (load times, other people crashing constantly). I'm glad we're getting Eddy pre-Evo Japan, I was getting worried he wouldn't be out by then and the announcement would just be his full trailer. Fingers crossed we get aforementioned #1 MMA Man or The Better Williams announced.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I don't mind Rage Arts but I am getting tired of being sniped with them constantly no matter who I'm fighting, in 7 you only had to play around that with Steve, Anna and Jin and now anyone can just see you are starting a string and pull the trigger if they have enough health to absorb the first hit. At least slow them back down to where if they RA right when a jab is connecting you still have time to return to blocking, pretty crazy that the fastest recovering moves in the game still get bopped even if the RA starts right on hit connection.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It's a pure mix so unless you've given them a reason to duck, never

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Artelier posted:

Please pitch me a second character to play!
Bryan Fury

Artelier posted:

- Has a good low in there somewhere; Reina only had okay-okay lows
qcb3

Artelier posted:

- Maybe doesn't go from one stance to another all the time - some stances is fine, more like I don't wanna do the "f, f+2 or 1, 1, 2 or df+1 into Sentai stance" that Reina did all the time
Stanceless, but has qcf and qcb

Artelier posted:

- Fun combos I guess? Stylish, or satisfying to hit, or both, or anything really that is "fun" to you
Best combo feel in the game imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

T8 King is maybe the best King has ever been and he still isn't the best character in T8 so don't feel bad about playing him