Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ready to play more of everybody's favorite loveable Kill-Bot Jack-8.

I am excited about that particle field and his other new robut moves as well.

Reina looks really interesting too, Friday is going to be so hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Spuckuk posted:

As a long time tekkeneer and old man, Im super excited to try out Victor

This, but I am a robot and want to play Jack-8

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

unattended spaghetti posted:

Well, I am a man of no conviction. I sat back down today, gave it another go, and I'm finally feeling it. I will say this game is one of the most infuriating I've ever played but I have done a few things that have helped a ton.

First off the dick punch. Jesus I have no idea how vital it is when you're in close. I've shut down so much stuff just by doing that. You can see the light go out of a mashing gorilla when they get stopped cold by that.

Second, and someone tell me if this is a universal thing, df1 seems to be the quickest way to stop someone who is all up in your face. Time it right and you can stop almost anything thanks to the counter hit.

Third, I sat down in training and I went through every freaking move. I'm glad to say I wasn't really using anything too unsafe, but more importantly I found out a lot of useful stuff, most vitally where all my plus frames are, and there's some cheeky stuff you can get up to once that starts to come together. For instance, side step 2 with Feng, which puts you in back turned, which leads both to more plus frames and also a throw. Also the ff3 is +8 for crying out loud. I was relying on b3 for all my plus frames, and while it is a great move, it's linear as hell and really needs to be used with care. Found stuff to catch steppers too.

I have never been so equally frustrated and satisfied by a game before.

Oh, and do all the characters have an utterly impractical and too long string? I saw the Feng one that's 1121342222 and I couldn't stop laughing.

Oh and I didn't realize there was another parry besides shifting clouds which I find too telegraphed to be terribly useful. That back 13 one. Gonna come in handy with people that just won't stop pressing buttons

One other question, can the qcf dash he has be used to low profile stuff cause it looks like it could.

Getting frustrated at what you think is BS is a right of passage for new Tekken players friend, don't sweat it

It's my favorite FG franchise ever, I've played it for like at least 15 years now, and I still get annoyed at poo poo sometimes, important thing is just take breaks or hit the lab when it gets to you :)

I need to find some time in my schedule to actually nail down a main and rank up some more in this, honestly everyone is so fun to play in this though, best Tekken in decades honestly.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I ended up running into a Jack-8 for the first time last night and uh.. I got some homework to do in the replay tool because man. It felt like everything I blocked was plus, I was able to step a fair amount of stuff they were doing but I was doing a terrible job punishing the whiff so that's just something I need to be better about

If Jack hasn't changed too much, (and depending on your character) get in and stay in his face: he has some command grabs but his main game is good range with big damage, but he's typically fairly slow up close and personal. His lows are also kinda meh, he's got a few good ones. Watch out for his like 1 2 delay explosive punches, they come out fast and hit with more range than you think.

Jack relies on a lot of Gorilla power and range

What moves were giving you trouble specifially?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I like Leeroy a lot more now that he's not busted: I love him as a concept, and he seems way more fair in 8.

Plus he's voiced by Jet from Cowboy Bebop, which owns :swoon:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jeremor posted:

Is Paul a difficult character to learn tekken with? For some reason his stuff is difficult for me to pull off. Can't put my finger on it. Any tips?

Paul is wierd because he's incredibly easy to beat new players with, Gorilla damage and they don't understand how to deal with Death Fist yet, but to master him he has some decent timing challenges and his speed can be wierd on some moves.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nazzadan posted:

As mentioned above he's a motion input character so depending on your fighting game background he's either very easy or way more difficult than some of the others in the cast. He has a backsway out of qcb which is going to force you to backdash correctly as you improve otherwise you will get random backsways that you can be hit out of rather than proper backdashes. His actual bnb combos aren't high damage contrary to peoples perceptions of Paul as a Damage Machine but he gets a whole lot of damage out of guaranteed follow-ups, heat, and standalone strong buttons. If you feel the call of Paul stick with him and as you improve he's a very deep character you can stick with basically forever, any character you try to learn with is going to have some sort of hard thing so you might as well get through it with the character you like.

Yeah I forgot to mention: Paul is a quarter circle guy so if you have played SF or something like it before it will be easier to adjust.

If you are playing on PS pad I notice myself that QCs in Tekken can get Wonky, sometimes I'll do an almost full half circle with Paul and stuff comes out more consistently.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 15, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I've definitely noticed they're a little weird myself, but I couldn't tell you why. I think maybe the QCF window is just tighter or something?

If I'm not focusing on doing it clean and quick I've definitely had times where Lily just.. doesn't go into dew glide. I think it's because I'm holding down slightly too long as I start the QCF motion, which puts me into crouching state for just a second? :shrug:

I agree with this^

It feels like the qcf read is tighter

SF6 I feel even classic inputs are greatly relaxed

Yeah 7 gave me the QCF trouble as well.

I never have had an issue in older KOF, Darkstalkers, SF etc., but Tekken from 7 on the qcf I have to do the like roll slightly back roll forward motion to get it to come out consistently.

Could be the PS d pad tbh, have never really tried the ps stick before.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 15, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

inthesto posted:

I want this thread to know that I fought a Steve and one round he opened with b1 and I swear I hit db1, and I still ate a counterhit and that makes me very mad

This, but Hwoarang

I must have fought this motherfucker over the years like 100s of times, but gently caress me sometimes those stupid kicks still catch me

And I really like Hwoarang as character too, but nothing gets me salter than his bullshit in Tekken.

Steve also can be annoying. He only needs a few solid hits to wreck your whole round.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is Jack really that good this time around?

I've been having success with him, but I never see the guy in dark green ranks at all besides me

Will be in yellow ranks soon, maybe he's there more.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Man newbies don't block low and press buttons all the time it is basically a God move at lower ranks.

Glad you're enjoying Tekken again! :)

Yeah new players still try to play Tekken like SF or a 2d fighter sometimes, and they don't realize you have way more movement and spacing options and responses, and the power of a low stuffing spam jabs or fast buttons.

Who are you playing now?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Still Feng. Yeah I just had a rare moment of salt cause of the aforementioned constant button pressing from opponents and getting used to the Tekken paradigm. All good now I probs win as much as I lose though still not outta yellow cause Balatro came out. Heh.

How’s your Tekken journey?

Getting time where I can to play with the Spring semester at my job, dabbling with Leroy atm, maybe might try Raven or Reina or Kuma at sons point.

Jack is my boy though

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 24, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

poe meater posted:

I still quite enjoy slowly chopping away the opponent with Jack db1.

His new stance into Haymaker is loving insanely good

You can armor through a character's bullshit and surprise then with a punch that will most likely wallsplat them

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Claudio is a JoJo part 5 character pretty much

I love that Tekken has a mix of "serious martial artists" and then you have Mishima style Bear, Cyborg and robots, mystical magic, and the main characters shoot eye lasers at each other on a pretty regular basis.

Tekken owns

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 26, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Claudio is Bruno's Son confirmed

Char posted:

Down to the ARRIVEDERCI in his Rage Art
I'm Italian and all he spouts is nonsense

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tekken has Eye lasers, Magic Ninjas, Robots, and Patricide, but it's really about the horror of late stage capitalism

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DeadButDelicious posted:

It's also about unrequited love. See: Xiaoyu and Jin, Jun and Kazuya, Kuma and Panda Ganryu and Julia, Paul/Law and money...

I dunno, based on the ending I would say Jin and Xiouyu finally have a decent chance at it :3:

I was surprised how much I ended up liking Jin by the end of this game. They did a good job giving him a redemption arc

I love what a Baddy Reina is. She might be my new character to play after I finish dabbling with Leroy

Will probably go back to Jack again every so often though, he's too much fun to Gorilla Mode

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 26, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How do you deal with Law/ Hworang as Jack? I try to stay out of range but that doesn't work against men with lightning for legs.

The speed is an issue, and I feel I just need to get better at knowledge check of their mid/ low/ low/ mid mixup poo poo

Paul seems to be a monster in 8, at least where I am learning Jack. Does he get better versions of Death Fist in Heat? It seems to come out so fast.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 26, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DeadButDelicious posted:

Idk what rank you are but you play a big gorilla mode character like me and when I go against Law/Hwoarang my go-to strat is to abuse the gently caress out of power crush to steal my turn and get a combo while
abusing long-range mids and lows to keep them out as much as possible. It's an uphill battle though for sure as they both have a nasty pressure game - I wouldn't say I'm consistent against them yet.

Thanks for this! That's pretty much what I am doing. I find Jack's dfw23 is an excellent good range sweeping low that gently caress people up. I try to abuse grabs on them too, and when I corner them I go for broke with pressure.

Have you found a remedy to Steve? I find him to be one if the hardest knowledge checks for me, I seem him a lot, but he has like 4 stances that look the same and then he needs like 4 hits to ruin your day.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 26, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

poe meater posted:

Nothing wrong with learning Bears as your first character. They can be played in a clean and non-gimmicky way if you like.

It going to be tougher at first but sounds like you got the right idea in regards to whiff punishing. Bears are great and even more fun to play in T8.

^Kuma with the Heihachi stuff is probably the most fun he's ever been

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

So I occasionally watch Darksydephil compilations when it comes to fighting games, and lmao these hot takes:

Playing King: "You know King is way harder to play than any of the Mishimas"

Playing Yoshimitsu: "He has NO WAY TO INTERUPT THESE MASHERS DOOD"

Apparently there is no way to counter Alissa, she's just uninteruptable

he plays every character by running in, spamming unsafe dial combo, grab

Amazing pro fighting player insight

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tbf as a lovely Tekken player myself, Alissa feels extremely oppressive. Though obviously this is a falsehood and I need to figure it out. I can’t believe you’d subject yourself to that guy lol.

I watch other people deal with that guy on occasion

Like cut him up into digestible, mainly because he's the saltiest guy ever and I find that funny sometimes

Alissa Is absolutely a knowledge check character, don't feel bad