Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I have not played Tekken in ages but picked this up to celebrate my new apartment where I finally have wired Internet in my bedroom where I play games again. Being stuck on WiFi made me essentially quit fighting games for multiple years.

Dabbling in Feng and Azucena so far, I'd be a lot better at either of them if I just picked and labbed for a while but it is too drat fun to just queue up and fight people even while having very little idea what I am actually doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I was surprised to see how low Feng is.

I'm partially playing him because I did on ps2 years ago but also from the buzz I've heard people mentioning he seems strong and a good choice to learn with.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Nice Van My Man posted:

Feng stuff...

Having a safe mid high damage launcher used to be nice.

I'm probably just missing something because I'm new/a scrub, but isn't his df3 exactly that?

Only -7 mid launch that as a scrub I can easily get a 67 damage combo off without a wall or heat or whatever.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I've watched a few getting started videos but one thing I'm still super confused on is the dash on heat engage when you land a move that just does it automatically. Your opponent is actually safe I've gathered but you maybe have a mixup opportunity or?

Playing Feng I've started just using the sprint up to command grab 1+2 break but that seems very very wrong even though my low level opponents eat it like 95% of the time.

Like say I b3+4 sway into 2, heat auto engages I auto sprint and then... What's the deal really?

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

You're something like +17 on hit with heat engage in that situation

Is that after the sprint? Like anything 17 or faster will connect no matter how far they were knocked back and my character had to sprint? It hasn't seemed that way but I'm definitely guilty of just queuing back up instead of properly labbing, I just block after people heat engage and I've never taken another hit off it but it's entirely possible it's cause I'm bad and the people I fight are bad.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Got really annoyed at the victor block string into gunshot safe tp so I trained myself to duck the gunshot and punish for an easy 70 damage combo on Feng. Immediately after I trained myself to do that I queued ranked again and faced a victor who did not ever do the gunshot block string but did sometimes pause and follow up with a mid to catch my dumb rear end ducking. Tekken!

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I tried a little EWGF training just for the sake of it tonight with servers down even though I'm not planning on learning a Mishima any time soon.

Keyboard or controller I am consistently just 1-2 frames sooner with the df than the 2, or I overcorrect and hit the 2 before even the down.

Weirdly when I stopped drilling and just said ok surely this one off will be it I got it like 2/3 of the time, then immediately back to the old pattern trying to repeat it

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

poe meater posted:

On pad, try a 2+3 macro on one of your left shoulder buttons. It's a lot easier for me personally when using the same hand to do a EWGF.

Genius, thank you!. I just loaded back in and got like 8/10 using l1 (I'm playing on a ps4 pad because I sold my stick years ago and this is my first fighting game since)

Still not hopping on a Mishima just yet but it's nice to know I have the option there

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Are you guys also facing an unreasonably high percentage of people who 1 and done in ranked?

I think the only thing in this game worse than feeling like I got gimmicked out is getting denied the opportunity to try again knowing what they're gonna do.

I guess I should start digging into the replay system

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

unattended spaghetti posted:

Hell yeah this is what I was after. There's clearly conventions, even though it might not seem like it at first look. Calibur was kinda like that too. And when I see slow start-up I tend to think more punishable, rather than less. Obviously there's no replacement for just checking the frames but I only do that when I'm brick walled since I prefer just screwing around and getting a feel. Thanks for the info.

For a quick reference this doc I lifted from a post a couple pages back is pretty invaluable and being updated, all characters have their punishers listed by frames in their own section and you can just do a string in practice to see how - something is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...v/pubhtml?pli=1

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Phenotype posted:

How do I get a consistent EWGF on a PS5 controller? I spent a little time in practice last night and I only ever do it by accident, and very rarely at that. Couldn't even figure out how to practice getting better at it, cause it just never comes out.

And while I'm at it, is doing f, qcf, f, qcf the best way to practice wavedashing? That one seemed to work a little better than the EWGF at least.

People said practice and obviously extremely true but I cannot overstate how massively helpful someone in this thread was recommending using a l1/l2 2+3,I went from struggling to hit it twice in a row to immediately 80% and then a little drilling tonight 90% plus just making that switch.

It really seems easier to get one hand to sync up the movement and attack input on the same frame than involving your other

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Fuckin revelation for perfect electrics on keyboard or hitbox: Tekken let's you bind dpad and left stick separately, if you have your asd/space or wasd or hitbox set to dpad, add a left stick right and left next to your 2 and 4.

Tap forward, hold down, 2+the button beside it for p1 side, 2+the button beside 4 for p2. I'm instantly getting 100% electric accuracy and the speed is picking up so much for punishes.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Artelier posted:

So I tested this with my Junkfood Micro XL and from what I can tell on controller, you can't rebind analog stick keys unless it's to another analog stick key, so I guess what that means is I guess I'm a keyboard player now

(I'm kidding. Probably)

Ah yeah I've been doing this on keyboard while my Haute42 is in the mail, I saw it showcased on that but you can change the button bindings on a Haute so that makes sense

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Artelier posted:

So I tested this with my Junkfood Micro XL and from what I can tell on controller, you can't rebind analog stick keys unless it's to another analog stick key, so I guess what that means is I guess I'm a keyboard player now

(I'm kidding. Probably)

Late update for you since I randomly saw it pointed out elsewhere: you can change controller settings in your Steam library to do exactly this on any device without rebinding the buttons themselves if you're on PC.

My Haute came in last night, really loving this thing so far, I'm still not a good player but now I'm a bad player who can very easily kbd and fast electric so I can spend more time learning other things.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Same boat, I have a pile of characters I enjoy labbing and get frustrated and washed with in ranked, and another pile I get bored labbing fast but enjoy winning a lot of easy ranked matches with. I still haven't touched half the cast maybe the unicorn I'm good at and like labbing is out there.

Good problem to have I guess all things considered.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

For sure try out keyboard first and I'd recommend using asd/space to get used to the thumb for up.

If you like it and want better, you still don't need to buy a $300 kitsune or branded hitbox I got my Haute42 for $75 after tax shipped and the build quality is comparable to sticks I paid $200+ for in the past.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Exposure to characters is a huge factor in winrates. I'm still a scrub but I'm ready to duck and launch punish reina's ff2-3, or victor's 2 spam into gunshot if my opponent goes full flowchart.
If I see a Zafina I just have to guess the whole time, guess which one I'm going to win more against?

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

That's a tough one, I get your feeling but also that guy probably doesn't want to have to try out his alts matching up with people as good with their character as he is with his main. I know I don't.

If he's just that good that alt will fly out of your rank fast, and if it was done off prowess alone and he's not great with his new alt he'd be stuck feeling like poo poo demoting constantly until it balances out.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Put some more time into Jun tonight, she might end up my main.

These low ranked matches are teaching me such bad habits though, most of the time I can just back up, wait for them to rush in, b3, free 70 damage combo.

Red players are still doing it and I need to actively tell myself to play right because I know better players will bait it out and whiff punish or pick a move that hits b3 hurtbox if that's my tendency but it's so tempting and effective at these ranks.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

b32 (the 2 is super delayable/hit confirmable) dash forward b42 f3 b21-f-2. 73 damage.

great big cardboard tube fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 20, 2024

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Audax posted:

TBH I don't rematch if real life poo poo pops up

This or if the connection is bad or the opponents pc is melting trying to keep up are the absolutely valid reasons. Otherwise run it back win or lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Nice Van My Man posted:

I mean I'm also not going to rematch if there's anything going on in real life but that's probably not going to happen for 99% of matches. I also don't rematch for bad connections or if they're a tbagger, but again those are pretty rare (although I have noticed an uptick in tbagging opponents, they used to be nonexistant).

Tbagging opponents just make me want to rematch even more so if I win I can tbag back mercilessly and guilt free.