Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
https://twitter.com/Fergus_TK/status/1749514580915810718?s=20

For anyone that wants a brief overview of what characters can do and their general play style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Nothing even close to that level but https://wavu.wiki/t/Wavu:Tekken_8 has a few characters

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Tekken 8 is not a drastic departure from previous tekken games so most of the beginner guides are still applicable. This YouTube playlist is a pretty good resource for a variety of concepts useful for people looking to improve https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVUxFFfCtDtkd3n0J8taq-MknCWaP6naW&si=gG_k67nxiT9AhuR1

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Moving is cool in tekken because you can always work on improving and it has an extremely high skill ceiling. Even just canceling backdash with side steps which is much easier than mashing kbd is highly effective. https://youtu.be/Lbm5CasGsMQ?si=jEJYGWRLL3chR4sJ

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

ChaosReaper posted:

I've been trying to do KBDs on the Tekken 8 demo on my hitbox and either it's hosed now or I suck (it's the second one). I've been trying to do what people were saying worked for Tekken 7 KBDs and that just seems like it makes me do nothing in the demo. I can wave dash forward pretty easily but yea can't backdash for poo poo. I also can't do it with a pad but I've never been able to do dash movement worth a drat on the pad so that's not surprising.

Oh a hitbox hold back then tap down then tap forward. There is a little delay between the down and the forward. If you do it too fast you won’t go anywhere.

https://www.hitboxarcade.com/blogs/hit-box/tekken-7-on-hit-box-korean-back-dash

I’m not a hitbox user but when I mess around on keyboard I do the backsway version on this page and it works for everyone.

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 24, 2024

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
In general you only need to backdash 2-3 times in a row. A lot of noobs put kbd as an essential technique they need to master before they can play the game but realistically it’s a skill you build up over time and use in conjunction with other pieces of movement like side step and dash block

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1750703115001872556?s=20

Ps5 apparently is also crashing

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
It doesn’t avoid mids so you can just launch her

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Midscreen hold back while you land to do a back tech roll. Near a wall hit a punch when you hit the ground to roll into the background or a kick to roll into the foreground. Both of these can put you into a bad oki situation if done predictably but in general they are fairly low risk and avoid getting hit from grounded follow-ups.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

spiritual bypass posted:

When playing online, how does side selection work? Do I only get matched with players who chose the other side? Does the game mirror everything so it works out no matter what?

ooo gotta check this out

the game will have a different camera for each player so they get their preferred side.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
You can’t derank until you hit the first yellow rank, Warrior

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
The format of having a first to 2 in ranked also makes it so people are going to run high risk high reward game plans and if you aren’t ready or can’t adjust in 2 games then you get steam rolled even if those strategies are not good or stable over a long set. In my opinion it’s always better to mostly run long sets (at least a first to 5) with people as the majority of your play time and then use ranked as a verification of improvement. Grinding out ranked only is an easy way to lose your mind.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Jun mirrors are weird because both our life bars are dancing around as we self damage and heal

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Jun is crazy in this game. Her wall combo with ff3,3+4 leads to a guaranteed 1+2 and does like 35%

Her combo damage is insane: https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableModernBadgerOSfrog-cuxJVxDopWGsF-rQ

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 4, 2024

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
no

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Artelier posted:

Is there a video guide to hitting electrics on leverless/hitbox? Maybe less the electric, more the dash part with the reset to neutral bit. I'm playing a Junkfood Arcade Micro XL with the "opposing directions = neutral" setting which I believe is the tournament or at least Evo standard right now, and I'm struggling to get the dash consistently.

I'm pretty sure this is a rhythm issue, so if there's a video out there explaining this maybe with like a hand camera or real legible clickclacks when the buttons are pressed that'd be great. While I have played Tekken casually in the past, I never put much time with a Mishima and even if I did, it was on a stick or pad. I've translated most of my movement from stick to leverless no issue but I'm struggling with this specific one (and consecutive ROM-style superjump airdashes in Marvel but that's a different issue)

Maybe there's a leverless-specific shortcut too? I tried doing hold forward for a brief second then piano back to forward, but this felt unreliable, at least the way I was doing it. But even doing it normally for me is unreliable so what do I know.

Also while I'm at it, if there's a similar video for Korean backdashing that would be good.

Any tips is appreciated, thanks!

https://www.hitboxarcade.com/blogs/hit-box/t7-ewgf-on-hit-box

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Bored Grunt posted:

For those that have pulled off the EWGF grind, is it worth it? Coming up on 20 hours in the game and most of that has been on Reina. I'm at the point I can pull it off maybe 5 times in practice and then lose the rhythm for the next 20 attempts. Not sure I'll ever be able to use it reliably in multi.

I really like Reina, but getting discouraged and thinking I might be better off learning advanced combos on an easier (mechanic wise) character.

You dont need it. You will need to be able to do hellsweeps though.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Here's an easier version of the jun MYK combo also from MYK https://twitter.com/TheNameIsMYK/status/1754063576367800550?s=20

https://streamable.com/0hy9s1

df21+2, d1+2, T! dash ssl (do a deep side step), b42, f32~1+2, b1+21

This also works with the CH ws2 starter.

Her ff33+4 doesn't have a guaranteed 1+2 ender anymore so possibly the best ender now is db111+2

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 7, 2024

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

unattended spaghetti posted:

Speaking of scrubby bullshit, you wanna know how to tilt someone? A neutral df1 looped until they either step it, duck it, or jab it. I've always been the scrub in Tekken, still am in fact, but my God it feels good to be on the other side of the knowledge check.

All I'm trying to learn right now is when to press and when to wait. There's so many God drat strings I swear. Getting it but it is quite the process. I'm not even launching rn. Combos aren't hard per se, but learning the movement and punishment seems a better use of my time right now.

df1 is a mid for most characters, you cant duck it

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Every fighting game but tekken in particular is a process with almost endless things to improve on. Movement itself is hard as gently caress in tekken and takes heavy execution. It’s easy to get demoralized but if you take it slow and recognize small achievements then it’s a pretty rewarding game.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Pauls qcf is a stance which makes it different then a street fighter qcf in that you are doing the motion to go into the stance and then pushing the button to do the stance move.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Nice Van My Man posted:

It's break window is way smaller than most throws, in a way that people think is broken and unintentional.

One of the devs mentioned this is unintended and will be patched

https://twitter.com/nkt_dreamer/status/1755135603216396382?s=20

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Pick jun mash b3, uf4,3 and d3+4 and watch that win rate go up

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Levin posted:

Picked up a Haute42 T16 leverless and am using the following layout based on advice from the Discord channel:

The binds are what a friend suggested so our group had a consistent pad loadout for whenever we got together to play in-person. I know it's going to be a journey to go from button mashy pad play to more thoughtful leverless play so figure it's best if I start off with the layout I plan to use long-term. Interested in any thoughts or suggestions.

I'm noticing the 1+3 and 2+4 are a bit awkward to execute but wondering how important those binds are given how frequently those throws get broken. Reaching the 1+2 to try and break throws has been challenging so far.

So far the biggest challenge is posture and hovering my hands to better access all the buttons. Sitting up straight with the controller in my lap still doesn't feel like sufficient distance to properly hover them and the urge to rest my wrists is strong.

My inclination is to go with a setup that has the face buttons along the top row so I can rest my hands somewhat like it would with a keyboard but I reckon that's not optimal long-term and would make fitting the DDI movements more challenging. I'm still not sure I understand DDI or if I've configured them correctly but I figure that's something I can worry about down the line.

I'm back to being able to at least take a match off my friends but not winning many sets. I'm still able to mash pretty okay which is unfortunate. Playing Azucena and Jack-8 currently if that matters.

what the hell is ddl and ddr

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Street fighter by far is the least frustrating to play online

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Tekken 8 as a game is pretty fun but the random frame drops, culture of people rage quitting and one and doneing, matchmaking breaking for seemingly no reason, and a ton of wifi players makes it pretty frustrating to play. Meanwhile i can play ranked or ft10 in the battle hub in street fighter quite easily.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Seltzer posted:

It has better netcode but what else makes you say that.

Pockyless posted:

Tekken 8 as a game is pretty fun but the random frame drops, culture of people rage quitting and one and doneing, matchmaking breaking for seemingly no reason, and a ton of wifi players makes it pretty frustrating to play. Meanwhile i can play ranked or ft10 in the battle hub in street fighter quite easily.

Aris is not joking when he is talking about his experience playing SF6 vs Tekken 8 online. I am surprised if tekken players rematch and extra surprised if they continue to rematch if they lose. This isn’t new to tekken 8, tekken 7 players did this too which was even more frustrating because the load times were 4x as long. There could be 20k players on steam but you wouldn’t know matchmaking sometimes because you just wont get a match and when you do it’s against a wifi player so you have to turn off and turn on matchmaking again if the queue doesn’t pop. Some stages like the bombed out building will have frame drops but it will be entirely unclear if its your pc, the opponents pc, or the netcode having a hiccup (frame drops also happen on ps5). These things happen significantly less often in sf6.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Modern exists for players like you

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
That’s a really stupid take

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Combos are fun to do

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
7 seconds is about the limit for me for a bnb before combos feel too long. In tekken the only combos are heat dash combos, rage arts, and stage extensions which are at most once per round if not once per game. Blazblue, Marvel 3, and maybe Uni really push acceptable combo time after any type of conversion.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
If you dont count the instakill cinematic the longest combo was 4 seconds

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
It had nothing to do with what i posted

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
It only combos on counterhit but yes its very good

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Char posted:

disclaimer, I don't know what to do wrt launchers or wall with Leo because I wanted to learn movement and rhythm first, blowing up an enemy too early prevents me to learn how to handle neutral imho.

This doesn’t make any sense. If i am playing someone and i can tell that they have no idea how to do a combo then the way that i play is going to abuse things that would otherwise get me killed because there are no repercussions. Being able to scare an opponent with damage dictates how you play neutral.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
I watched the first 4 matches and i think you backdashed maybe 5 times total and didnt sidestep once. You advance yourself forward with strings most of the time too which is a bad habbit because you dont have control over your character when you are doing the string so you basically just hope that people run into your moves.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Going back to the replays you posted you get counterhit on your wake up a lot. If you get knocked down you are at extreme disadvantage and you should focus on getting up safely and then blocking.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
If you can do all those things you will be chilling in blue ranks easily.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
This game isnt for you if you think doing a combo is cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Even though burst exists blazblue is the opposite example of a game that has short combos with player agency during them. Bnbs regularly last 10+ irl seconds