Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

claw game handjob posted:

Apparently I need to upgrade my video card, because the game thinks I need this poo poo in Crunch-o-Vision.

It does not look better in motion or in battles, I assure you, but it IS keeping a steady 60...

Check your graphics settings. For whatever reason it decided to use FSR 1.0 to upscale by default even though i have a 2080, which looks like absolute rear end no matter what. I switched it to DLSS quality and everything is perfect. Even if you need to upscale and don't have an rtx card, pretty much any option is better than FSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ghostinmyshell posted:

It's the year 2024 and they still use that silly KO animation where you grab your back after a few seconds of being on the ground. Sudden back pain!

tekken characters carry their keys in a pouch on their back

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

King of Solomon posted:

What's the story mode experience like by the way? There enough here for someone that isn't really the type to grind versus or online modes?

It's only 3 hours long but it's extremely good. best since 4 imo, and a suitable apology for 7's.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

King of Solomon posted:

Sounds awesome, but thin. Should I wait on a sale, or is there something else to dig my teeth into?

Nah, if you're solely going for single player definitely wait for a steep discount, it's good stuff but far from the majority focus of the game.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Solus posted:

Whats the vibe you get when you're facing a mirror matchup

"oh my god someone else plays shaheen"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gonna be real here I kind of forget Shaheen is in this game.

that's my secret, he loving rules and nobody plays him because he's the world's least interesting person so nobody learns to punish his slide mixup

https://x.com/LowHigh92/status/1751580164105044239?s=20

his new tools are very scary, he's extremely good at deleting grey health at will and his heat guard break that guarantees a hit grab is downright silly.

e: also they gave him dragunov's d2 out of sidestep for some reason

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 1, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GigaPeon posted:

So a mini News Years resolution for me was "git good at a fighting game". I've always just managed to learn a 3 hit combo for a guy and then spam it to get through whatever story mode the game has, but I'm trying to be better and be semi-decent online. Should I play on Special Mode until I get a hang of the rhythm, or is that just going to teach me bad habits? Been probably going 50/50 being a Special Boy.

Special mode isn't like Modern in SF6, the only thing it'll teach you is spacing and timing. Which is fine for a few matches I guess, but you should move on from it very quickly because every character is built around a unique offensive strategy and special mode won't let you access the tools you need to accomplish it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GigaPeon posted:

Speaking of which, how decent are the Ghosts really when emulating real players?

Not very, honestly I would just jump online and mash some buttons. Nothing really teaches you better than getting stomped repeatedly and seeing what doesn't work. Replay mode is incredible for figuring out what's going wrong and how to fix it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

unattended spaghetti posted:

And the loving players are unreal rude as hell. I guess the expressiveness of Tekken lends itself to people stunting in creative ways, which would be funny, but holy balls the unusual varieties of spam this game generates… phew. Like come the gently caress on.

This isn't necessarily people being rude or stunting, it's new players finding dumb traps and knowledge checks. None of that stuff is real, you can check your match replays and take over to figure out how to get out of it. Once you get out of the ranks where that stuff works, you'll also start fighting people who respect frame advantage. This is especially true of tekken but I think it's pretty common in most fighting games.

e: wait, this you?

Speaking of scrubby bullshit, you wanna know how to tilt someone? A neutral df1 looped until they either step it, duck it, or jab it. I've always been the scrub in Tekken, still am in fact, but my God it feels good to be on the other side of the knowledge check.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Also on the df1 thing, if I apply that knowledge check on a player that's inclined towards tossing out all kinds of unsafe poo poo without once jabbing and they figure it out, I will actually without any irony congratulate them aloud. It's one of those things. Heh

if they're tossing out unsafe poo poo, you need to learn to punish the unsafe poo poo!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

To be less flip about it, my visual impairment kinda forces me to take a lot longer learning what's punishable because I have a limited ability to see the move. That's amplified by Tekken being Tekken, where lots of strings have varying extensions and where many moves look similar. It takes me a while in 2D games too, but they have comparatively smaller move lists.

Ah, that's a pain. After SF6 came out with a ton of awesome accessibility stuff I was annoyed to open the menu in T8 and find like one colorblindness setting. I think the best thing for now is probably to learn your character's 10 frame punish and listen for the "shink" sound of you blocking something. If the move is punishable at all, you'll be able to use your 10 frame. From there, you can look up frame data via guides online which are currently being written.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Char posted:

I can respect the fact Tekken operates under a different logic, but I'd like to understand, for instance, when and/or why I should be using Lili's df+3, which seems to be one of her best moves, as I usually get stuffed when I attempt using it.

Well that particular question isn't a matter of tekken logic, it's a question of frame advantage which is a fundamental thing in all fighting games. Her df3 has a 20 frame startup, so any move faster than that (i.e. most moves in the game) will stuff it. It's not a thing you can just throw out from neutral, you have to set it up.

e:f,b

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Char posted:

I noticed it has an unusually slow startup: reading "this move is important and one of her best", given this frame data and properties, feels contradictory.

How did you find out the move was important? What is the move for? How does it work into her gameplan?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Okay read the sentence directly after the one about DF3.

quote:

Lili also excels in big + frame pressure with moves like df3, which is a mid + on block CH launcher and qcf3+4 which is a hugely + on block high. Lili’s whole gameplan is generally to make the opponent afraid to attack her because of her step and evasiveness, she then uses this hesitation to apply pressures and mindgames.

Lili's strength is her movement. DF3 is slow so you can't just throw it out in neutral, the idea is to step away from the opponent and hit them with it at range hoping for a counterhit. If you're having trouble with that part, get in practice mode until you're comfortable just stepping and evading, then once you're ready start throwing out the DF3 and see what sticks.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 10, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
You really do not have to KBD in this game. It's helpful in some situations but the normal dash is so fast that it isn't a ton faster anymore.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
are you kidding me? he goes to loving space what more do you want from a bear drat

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I'm playing Asuka and no they are not ducking.

Are you sure you have 10 frames to punish with when you try it?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Revins posted:

Shaheen's second heat smash out of snake step coming out as* a low is also absurdly good, as is his charge move which I need to get better at but its -13 on block and breaks guard if in heat

fun thing to do: if you land a heat engager, use the run to charge the move. you get a free fb2 from the guard break. if they duck next time, mix it up with a launcher.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
meanwhile my boy shaheen has a genuinely great kit, nobody would consider him low tier, he's just got all the personality of a kitchen sponge so nobody else plays him. i didn't even run into people who know how to punish the slide until red ranks and even there it's spotty.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Okay if I'm understanding you correctly, there's actually two ways to think of stepping. One, the way I have been doing it, to try to preemptive step on strings that look linear.

This is kind of an okay way to learn what's steppable or not but I really wouldn't do this in a live match because the penalty for getting it wrong is death. You should only step when you have a plan that involves immediately blocking and then punishing if you see they whiffed. Another good thing to do is look at when and how they respond to your string pressure, and if they're always responding with something linear then finish your string with a step and launch.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shockeh posted:

Funny, I feel exactly the same about wireless PS5 players.

i don't mind wireless ps5 players because i can skip the match if i see the wifi symbol. getting all excited to play a wired PC only for it to turn out your opponent has a pentium 4 build with a voodoo2 is worse.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i have seen some pluggers around red ranks but none in purple and not nearly as many as below red. I got plugged on in green ranks for god's sake. you don't even lose points!!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Revins posted:

the slide feels awkward to pull off at first but man its a good move. Its range catches people off guard and you can follow it up with a 2 out of snake step (which he goes into after landing the slide) and then do uf+1,d into another slide (you have to do the df,d,df movement like right when his feet are about to touch the ground). Then repeat a second time. I haven't figured out how much damage the whole thing does but the second slide feels guaranteed if you're quick with it. idk if it actually is though

Hey holy poo poo another shaheen main lol

Your impressions are generally good, but there's a bunch of stuff that you're gonna find out stops working pretty soon. Slide is absolutely not guaranteed after an uf1 cancel, it only seems that way because it's incredibly hard for the opponent to see what's going on unless they're familiar with the move. The further up the ranks you get the less you can rely on slide in general because it's a launch into a full combo on block if they know the pickup. The main use of the slide at that point is as a threat. Your opponent knows you have it, so in slide range you go into full crouch and see what they do. If they duck, either hopkick em if you're in range, df2 or uf1 if you're not. If they don't, either slide them if you're positive they won't block it or df41 to fish for a counterhit combo if they don't block the mid. If they charge at you just stand block, make some space and do it again. Or slide them, gently caress it they're not blocking!

You can get yourself into high red ranks doing nothing but abusing the slide mixup because nobody blocks lows until that point, but it's better to get cautious with it early so you don't learn bad habits. He has the best FC mixup in the game imo, there are few things scarier in tekken than shaheen crouch wiggling at you from half screen.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 24, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Artelier posted:

Why is breaking 2 better than 1? Or is this like a "There are more 2break specific throws than 1 thing so might as well practice that"

It isn't, it's just that most people mash 1 in early ranks.

Learning to see throws is hard but important. Here's how to lab it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUUbuzuelA

I'm god drat terrible at it but I'm slowly starting to see the matrix.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
if they're ducking just launch 'em

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
a bunch of online tourneys are using the fight lounges to organize since spectating via normal lobby is still somewhat bugged and unreliable.

i like this and kinda hope it stays this way, it's like a lil local every time

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Levin posted:

Picked up a Haute42 T16 leverless and am using the following layout based on advice from the Discord channel:

1234 are traditionally the leftmost buttons (that aren't directionals) on a hitbox, that layout would bug me but if you're used to it go nuts. You should really feel free to bind whatever wherever based on what you actually use, it's not unheard of for people to have a different controller config per character. There's no "optimal" here, but before training yourself with a bunch of different utility buttons try playing a bunch of matches with just your normal 1234 and see what you could actually use a shortcut for.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 4, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Levin posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I've been trying this a little. I think the offsetting of the buttons is helpful and the fewer buttons to mash will hopefully make me a little more deliberate with my inputs.

Dual-Directional Input Left and Dual-Directional Input Right. My understanding is they can correspond to to DL and DR on an analog stick. These are meant to allow for easier Korean backdashing and wavedashing I'm told?

wait aren't you the guy who plays azucena, doesn't want to practice and just wants to gently caress around offline with friends? why do you have buttons mapped for kbd which you can't do and wavedash which your character isn't capable of?

seriously just focus on directions and 1234, the game is built around those buttons.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Levin posted:

I am, they've gotten better and I guess I want to as well. Tried the layout based on suggestion from Discord, thought it best to practice a layout I might eventually want to use but you're right, simple is best to start.

oh okay, also rock on man, learning and getting better at tekken is fun as hell

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Nice Van My Man posted:

And I'm just not a fan of the person bouncing in air thing, I don't think it looks good. I've said it before and I'll say it again, anything past a 4 hit combo should be rare. Add on to this that combos are unfriendly to newcomers because you need the muscle memory, and kind of boring at high levels because you see the same thing over and over outside of the occasional drop.

well you're gonna have to go back to tekken 3 then because that poo poo is absolutely not changing now

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Seltzer posted:

I'd be fine with modern if it wasn't in ranked.

yeah all those top tier players dominating ranked by abusing modern must be stopped.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
nice

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
a leverless is just a keyboard with a layout optimized for fighting games

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shockeh posted:

Sure, and I don't disagree conceptually, but even if that's true, and she flips completely once we hit Pro Level Tekken, that in itself is a really interesting line of enquiry. To have a character's success curve be an absolute crash landing until the 1%, where they suddenly skyrocket? (At least, theoretically?) That's really strange data.

That's exactly how tekken has worked for a very, very long time. Lucky Chloe was an unstoppable monster right up until the point where people learn how to counter her cali roll and db 44 spam, at which point she was no longer competitive at all. 8 is better in that there isn't really a character with the same combination of knowledge checks with huge rewards + terrible fundamental toolkit, but it's still absolutely a thing that happens.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Artelier posted:

Please ranked I beg of you, don't match me up with people 80000 points above me let me test stuff among people around my skill level please

Change your settings to only match you within +-2 ranks. You'll avoid that issue and gain more points.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Skjorte posted:

Shinryu is already within 2 ranks of eliminator.

oh, so it is! the rank looked yellow to me in the screenshot, excuse me

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Char posted:

I'm not managing to learn how to play

I keep seeing this sentiment and it just isn't true. Even if you don't think you made any progress at all, sleep on it and come back to the game later. You'll find that you're better at it. Keep going.

Nobody truly improves that much in a single play session. Everything you learn and practice needs time and rest to sink in.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Char posted:

disclaimer, I don't know what to do wrt launchers or wall with Leo because I wanted to learn movement and rhythm first, blowing up an enemy too early prevents me to learn how to handle neutral imho.

This is not a thing. Nobody will respect your neutral if it doesn't result in anything when you actually get a launch. You're just gonna get swung at by stupid poo poo you're unlikely to see in higher ranks. You do not need any kind of fancy or optimized combo, but you need to do SOMETHING so that people respect you.

Char posted:

the first, agaisnt Jin, I felt I could't get into my comfortable range and whenever they took the initiative, they were. I tried punishing stuff but I couldn't.
My gameplan amounted to pretty much nothing

How much time have you spent in punishment training? Start by learning your 10 frame punish and getting extremely comfortable with it.

Char posted:

also, you'll notice I sometimes whiff stuff at very close ranges. that's when I try to do something preemptively, trying to create a hitbox where I think the opponent will be next. this is something I'm carrying from anime fighters and I think it's doing me way more harm than good

This is not a good habit. If you like this sort of gameplan, you need to either learn what your opponent is doing and react to something that's predictable or figure out how to actually create frame traps.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Char posted:

Also, I've noticed some characters can basically... cancel dashes into dashes? I've played against a Lars (I was watching the replay at the beginning of this video) that kept moving back and forth at far range, waiting for a good moment to enter. Is that character specific or it's something everyone can do? Do different characters have different frame data for backdashes?

i haven't watched it so i don't know what lars was doing but many characters have stances that move around that are cancellable. Characters have different backdash distances, and all can backdash cancel (though it's less worth it than it used to be).

also, don't worry about the block animation, if you're stuck in it just spam the backdash until it comes out. once you get used to identifying whiffs, you can start punishing them, but for now learn to get the gently caress out the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Char posted:

I didn't see any big-looking effect on db+4 CH, so I thought I had no real practical advantage, I was using it as a pseudo-poke to remind them they have to block low, the follow-up 1 is a reminder for monkey brains like me that Bad Things Happen if you get hit by it. I was aware it's like -31 on block, which makes it a move that shouldn't be used as a poke, but it seemed to me its range was better than other alternatives.

How many Leo matches from other players have you watched? I've never in my life seen a leo just db+4 and stop, it's meant to be followed by the 1. This is the sort of thing that's easier to figure out by watching how people generally play the character, if you're just labbing and experimenting by yourself without studying real matches it's going to take you weeks just to figure out what all the moves are good for, and you're gonna get a lot of it wrong. Sometimes I'll put on a youtube playlist of other matches with my character and if I see something interesting or clever I'll timestamp it and come back to it later to try labbing it.