Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shockeh posted:

I feel like there's a lot of sneaky macro players out there.

Like, absolute shitters who can't block to save their life, have no concept of spacing or movement around the arena, know precisely one combo, but can chain EWGFs flawlessly 9 times in a row.

could be they are using hitbox, those make electrics and perfect kbd very easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

unattended spaghetti posted:

Is there a good rule of thumb for stuff that is jab punishable without looking at the numbers?

what do you mean exactly? I'm trying to think of another game where you know something is -4 or whatever the fastest punish is

in this game I think every low attack is at least -11 so it's not a jab but if you know your characters fastest WS move you can use that to punish a low if you block it, and usually you can get more

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

unattended spaghetti posted:

It is very hard to experiment with movement in this game. A step to the wrong side or poorly timed movement of any sort can get you killed so quick. But I really want to get at least a few good habits down for back dash and side step etc so I can start moving with intent.

you might already know this but backdashes are very very safe in this game because you count as stand blocking continuously through the dash rather than in a vulnerable state like street fighter. autoblock also means that even while the stick is at neutral during the double tap you are still stand blocking

I don't know what rank you are at but for a while you can just backdash twice in a row and people will stand in front of you whiffing extremely slow moves, letting you punish with whatever you want

so don't be afraid to just backdash a lot and see if the opponent hangs themself for you

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Nice Van My Man posted:

I just like some good ol' fashioned nice martial arts choreography and mocap. Personally the characters who just kind of zoom around the screen and teleport or whatever kind of bore me because you can get that in any game. Nice choreography is way more impressive to me.

this is why I like Leo, cool looking bajiquan inspired moveset

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

This game is incredibly frustrating. I'm just trying to learn and it feels impossible as I am just getting mad. Like blocking and doing 1,2 to try and get a turn is getting more nowhere. I've gone into replays and the punishment training mode.

are they ducking under your 1,2?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

Okay there are two things about QCF motions in tekken:

1. If your move is a stance, you need to do the motion to get into the stance, and then press the button you want. See: Paul forward sway, King crouch dash, mishima crouch dash, etc. These cannot be buffered, so you must fully wait for recovery from a previous move before doing them.

2. If your move is an actual qcf / qcb motion that is not going into a stance, you should hold the final direction as you press the punch/kick button for consistency.

Is there an easy way to tell which case is which? Like I expect all of Leo's qcf moves are case 1 but not sure how to confirm

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is there a secret to not getting rolled by these guys who just curb stomp me in 1 dan? Or is this just rite of passage? Like once a combo starts I cannot escape and it's just over. I just keep playing, right? I feel like my Tekken prowess should be 0

do you mean other people who are at 1 dan themselves or are they higher rated players?

at 1 dan your main tactic can be backdashing a bunch and waiting for them to whiff moves in front of you then just punish them with whatever you want. it's very safe and people will hang themselves for you with basically zero effort on your part.

occasionally you will get someone who is just starting their ranked play and would be rated much higher if they played for a while more, that's just part of the ranked experience

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah, players at dan 1 and ~5k prowess, just rocking me. Probably just a skill issue, but drat if I expected to not even take a round off of people just starting out. I have a lot of grinding to do!

word, it's hard at first and real players behave very differently than the cpu.

My guess is that they are just always pressing buttons whether it's their turn or not. And normally in tekken a lot of their moves leave them at a huge disadvantage if you block them, but if you don't take their turn they will just start a string again. The trick is knowing when their turn is over or when they are in the middle of a string that will counterhit any of your moves. Also if you didn't block something and got hit, don't press a button because you are almost always at a huge disadvantage and will get counter hit.

Besides backdashing a lot like I said, the other thing when starting out is to try to get used to just stand blocking. I'm not kidding when I say just try stand blocking an entire round and see what they do. they will probably start hitting you with lows, but seriously just keep stand blocking anyway. You will lose the round eventually but its a good experiment to see what happens when you aren't pressing buttons at the wrong time.

What character are you playing? Or if you post a replay people can give you advice

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah me too I'm a million levels deep in the salt mines and for the sake of people not wanting to read salt I'm going to spoiler it and just scroll by.

I'm 70+ hours in and it's not helpful in a game with a 30+ cast with a move list of 100+ moves each to just be told "hey you can duck that one move" in replay. It's far too specific unless you're analysing one match-up you're having trouble with. What would be more useful is a replay analysis; "you only blocked X amount of lows in that match - try practicing your low block and low parry." Or "You used a lot of moves that were punishable - try using more moves that recover faster or push your opponent away when blocked."

There's such a loving gap between destroyer/eliminator and the -ryu ranks in terms of play that it's a genuine wall. It's gotten to the point where I feel the only moves I can dare to throw out are just one hit safe on block, and maybe a power crush when a loving Reina or Leo or Lili or Dragunov isn't dancing on my face with their bullshit.

I guess the earlier complaint about move lists is irrelevant since I'm not even allowed to have a safe launcher or heaven forbid a string that allows me to launch from a low. Nothing that deals damage is safe, and nothing safe can net any sort of damage. Throw teching feels loving mystifying because half the cast insist on having their arms obscured by trenchcoats or billowy cosmetics. What looks like a low is a mid and vice versa. All this makes it extremely unclear when it is okay for you to take your turn and I end up just not pressing buttons until I inevitably misread a mid for a low, get comboed and bam, dead after two misreads.

I've never been so apoplectically angry at a fighting game that I actually got light-headed and felt I was going to faint Hungrybox style, but congrats Tekken 8 you did it. This game is opaque as gently caress and insurmountable in learning compared to how SF6 was. It's so frustrating and demoralising, and due to factors like not really having any IRL friends or online friends who play Tekken and no scene close by, I have nobody to learn and grow with so it's a lonely as hell experience too. :(

In conclusion Tekken 8 is a fun game that makes me insanely angry because I am trash at it but I can't stop playing.

i realize you are salty but you really shouldn't be playing one of the bears if these are your complaints. pick a character that addresses some of these issues and that you can play in a safer style

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

One useful document that was circulating in the tekken 7 days was a big list of each characters top 10 (maybe 15) moves and why they were good. The tekken library spreadsheet is nice but doesn't comment on the moves too much.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Like every fighting game I've ever purchased, I completely regret buying this. On it's face it seems like, oh yeah, gonna have fun, gonna chill and punch dudes, but every single match regardless of character I just get dunked on. Literally played a 100 prowess beginner dude and he perfected me twice, 0-3 set. I'm just gonna uninstall and rue the 60 goddamn dollars unless one of you has some trick for actually improving since playing the game doesn't seem to be working. I can get combos to work in lab, but in the match there's never an opening. Like I guess I don't know when it's "my turn"?

Maybe it's a frame thing? I try to just throw a 1, but the opponent is using moves that are faster and then I get punished and then it's combo time and I lose. It just seems impossible to figure out what to focus on to even unlock improving at other skills.

If you could post a replay I think that would help, if you can't progress past 3 dan or so then there's probably some really clear you are doing wrong that people can point out for you.

My best guess is that you are attacking right after getting hit by them which generally you shouldn't do. Like if someone is just doing a canned string and you are pressing buttons during it you are basically guaranteed to lose.

Also jabs are great but you also need to use higher damage moves or else you aren't going to do enough damage to win the round. I think you should figure out what some of your characters strings are from the move list and try doing those.

But really I think seeing a replay would be the biggest help. If we can see what you are doing we can give some pretty basic advice that will definitely help you win at that level.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I don't think there's a way to link specific replays with codes, you could either post your Tekken ID (shows up in Play Data from the menu) which would let us search for them, or you could screen record them and post on streamable or some similar site.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

OK! I'm actually excited about getting torn to shreds some valuable feedback on my play! I've always wanted to get ... decent at a fighting game, where it feels like I'm not just mashing buttons and hoping. Thanks for being a welcoming bunch, and tolerant of whining.

Replay 1 - https://streamable.com/oj8ujs - Me vs King

I've finally settled on Hwo - I like some of the stance mixups even if I can't do them reliably and I dig his aggression. I'm having trouble with punishing a downed opponent, and punishes in general. In training they make sense, but it seems like when I try nothing lands and the opponent's attacks have no interrupt time.

also, apologies, I figured out how to hide the pauses only after I uploaded this one.

Replay 2 - https://streamable.com/1wlg94 - Me vs Kazuya

I kept eating poo poo from his parry smash or whatever it's called, as well as his heat attack thing .

It's all good, you're actually doing great for being new!

I don't know much about Hwo but just be careful with characters who have these stances you can't block from. Worst case is you are doing a lot of strings that put you into stance when you don't plan to be and then you can't block after.

First big thing is I think you should get very used to your i11 punish, 4,3. If you see that they are doing a string over and over, try blocking it and seeing if 4,3 punishes them on block. You can also use 4,3 if you see that they whiffed a move right in front of you and the 4,3 is close enough to connect.

A lot of powercrushes are punishable on block, often that number is -12 meaning your i11 move is gauranteed. If you noticed this Kazuya loves the power crush then instead of attacking into it, stand block and when they use it on you hit them with the 4,3. Even if you don't know whether their move is safe or unsafe on block, try using your 4,3 after blocking it. If they blocked successfully, you know their move was not -11 or worse and can try something else. Lots of tekken is just experimenting with your moves in this way mid-match.

4,4,4,4 is also a good string that starts up in i11 and will catch people mashing in between, but be careful because if they duck the last few kicks they can get a huge punish. 4,3 is great because the second hit is a mid.

The second thing is whiff punishing. In tekken you should really be sniffing out whiffs from the opponent and not letting them get away with that, once you have your launch combos down you can be doing tons more damage with whiff punishes. Both these opponents were just standing there whiffing stuff in front of you over and over, so for now you can use 4,3 to punish where you're in range, and learn a longer range punish. I'm just trying to give you things that don't require memorizing combos and having them ready at all times.

Some homework if you want is the following: Try fighting an entire match with just 4,3, and some lows. Your gameplan should be to just stand block, don't dash in at all just let them come to you. After you have blocked something, either one of their bigger moves or a string, press 4,3. Don't use 4,3 after you're hit, only after you visually confirmed that you blocked. You will be able to get a ton of damage because either they used something punishable, OR they just pressed more buttons when they were a frame disadvantage and your move wins.
I tried this out on my PSN account where I haven't ranked up at all and was able to win most of my rounds. One player seemed to get so frustrated that they stopped moving at all in the last round and let me win.

The modifications you're allowed is if they just stand there doing nothing, try 4,4,4,4, or some lows. You may also get thrown a lot and take damage from lows but that's okay. Don't fall for the temptation to start randomly ducking because you'll just eat one of their mid launchers and take even more damage.
Also as soon as they go into rage, stop attacking and let them do their rage art. You can do a dash up then hold back to bait it out. Players at this level will almost always fall for it. To punish you can use 4,3 but also try d/f+2 and then mash 4444 (which is what I did because I don't know any hwo combos lol.)

I hope you get something out of this, happy to help on the goon discord as well. I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination, but I hope this unlocks something for you. Hopefully some actual Hwo players can give you tips.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 3, 2024

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Practicing a couple new combo routes with Zafina because a minor change means I can't just do the same combo off 4 different launchers like i could in 7 lol.

Yet I'm marveling at how much time i have to actually visually confirm my moves at a leisurely pace compared to SF's "oh if you're off by 1/10 of a second you get nothing"

I almost got frustrated with dropping a combo until I realized I was actually going too fast and needed to wait a full half second for the opponent to slump so the final move would connect lol

I think this is why I like the feel of playing tekken better than street fighter generally. If I set up a frame trap and the opponent presses into it I'm rewarded not just with the extra damage but the cool sound and pretty leisurely timing for most things. Strive tried to do this too but the giant COUNTER text wound up being goofy and kind of took me out of it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I feel like this is super important for people newer to the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWZFFhHHq3g

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shockeh posted:

It Was A Good Post.™

To follow up from that, once you do have 'a combo' make sure you know all the routes to it. With Jun, I've got one entirely muscle memoried sequence I can do on reaction - b43, b21b1, ff2f2. I can do that whenever, wherever, and whilst it's not OpTiMaL for if I need to hit the Big Boy ranks, it's good enough whilst I languish in Red being matched against my Purple betters. What I concentrate on now is all the routes that start it, which there are actually multiples of.... f2, df2, CH df4, CH FC2 WR3, 1222, etc. Be able to flick over to that muscle memory when the random CH you weren't expecting gets given to you. If nothing else, the combo gives you safe clock time to consider the broader arena - How we doing on life? Time? How's the wall carry looking? Does my opponent love to launch? Throw? Low? What have I messed up here during the round?

That, I think, is the secret Git Gud sauce - Getting your reactions to be unconsciously competent, so you can free up your conscious brain to play strategy, not tactics.

This is really good to have, I need to figure one out for Reina that works off all her starters

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Char posted:

I'm not memorizing when I can SS, I've tried to play some matches doing my -4 on block string and sidestepping, I was getting constantly hit.

I'm not managing to learn how to play, this is getting detrimental to my enjoyment of the game.
edit: thinking back, the worst issue in my playing is probably going too much for preemptive attacks because that's what feels natural. But this is not SF

If you got hit then the moved they used wasn't steppable to the direction you tried. You might need to try the opposite direction or side walk.

Maybe you should post a replay since you seem frustrated

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Char posted:

I tried recording some games, I didn't notice I was not starting the stream on YT so these were the three last matches in a 10 loss streak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqzsU5ZcjU
I feel like I was prett ymuch on tilt here, but here goes nothing

disclaimer, I don't know what to do wrt launchers or wall with Leo because I wanted to learn movement and rhythm first, blowing up an enemy too early prevents me to learn how to handle neutral imho.

the first, agaisnt Jin, I felt I could't get into my comfortable range and whenever they took the initiative, they were. I tried punishing stuff but I couldn't.
My gameplan amounted to pretty much nothing

the second, against Yoshimitsu, I feel I got knowledge checked a bit too much but I ate too many rage arts when they were the obvious thing to do.

the third, against King, I tried to apply pressure but I don't really know what consists in "pressure", I whiffed a lot when I shouldn't, I found decent rhythm in one round but in the end I didn't manage to comfortably handle the neutral.

the only thing that consistently worked was db4,1 - I get that I should perhaps abuse what's working but it feels wrong to play one single move constantly.
you'll see me sometimes miss a f,f2 on downed opponents - I'd like an explaination on why sometimes it hits and why it sometimes doesn't...
also, you'll notice I sometimes whiff stuff at very close ranges. that's when I try to do something preemptively, trying to create a hitbox where I think the opponent will be next. this is something I'm carrying from anime fighters and I think it's doing me way more harm than good

To answer your questions first, f,f2 is a regular mid, it will hit an opponent who is on the ground but still in a juggle state from one of your launchers, but will not hit someone just lying there. The exception is if they are standing up with an attack or crouch block in which case the mid will hit as normal.

db4,1 is great, it’s Leo’s best low except for the ones that have good counter hit follow-ups. You should use it a ton, basically until they start blocking (which they will). That’s not wrong, it’s actually very standard conditioning, you need to convince them to block low or do preemptive hop kicks or something to beat it, otherwise they can just stand block all your moves. This is very much how the game plays at most levels so don’t be afraid to do it!

For pressure with Leo I think you can use b1,4 into the KNK mixup a lot. It closes the distance fast so you won’t whiff it much. Use the follow up KNK 4 until they block or parry that, then mix in KNK 3. KNK 2 is great if they are mashing buttons to interrupt you.

To address your launcher combo, I think you should at least have a small combo dialed up so that you are used to confirming that you launched them and can enter a route. I’m not sure what is easiest, f+2, b1, 1+2 (hold d) BOK 1,2 is the starter for the rest of your BNB so you might as well learn that. I saw lots of launches and especially CH d+2 that connected but you didn’t follow up juggle. You will definitely get to play more neutral if you don’t combo, because you will just be losing. Launching moves are terrible if you don’t capitalize on the launch because they don’t do much damage alone and are either punishable or slow or other things to compensate.

Here were my other thoughts

My most important tip is to backdash a LOT. I mean like all the time, at round start, or just in neutral. You will be amazed how much they will simply whiff moves in front of you over and over, and you can easily punish with 2,2, or later df+2 when you learn the juggle combo. This really the core of the game, using your movement to create openings, so you should work on it right away if you don’t feel you are learning the game. So yeah, if you don’t read anything else that I said, just do this: backdash a ton and punish with 2,2 or df+2

Other things are less of an issue right now, at distance you use the running spin kick which isn’t great, You can stick to f,f2 or db+2, 4 which will heat engage on hit. Or just spam the b1,4 mixup but at this range you don’t even need to attack, let them come to you and whiff unless they are also staying away.

Another tip is you use standing 4 in neutral a lot which is a good button, but it’s best property is when it counter hits you get a guaranteed follow up. If you see it counter hit, immediately do d1+2, BOK 1+2 (you can mash the 1+2 the whole time), then d3+4 to get an extra stomp otg. this is how 4 is meant to be used, otherwise it’s just a crappy high and you should use a mid like df+1 instead

That’s probably enough for now, like I said the first thing to try is back dashing at round start and just in neutral or after blocks. Then you are playing tekken

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 17, 2024

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Char posted:

Ok I learned one launcher combo, it works with the launchers I use the most (deliberately setting up a CH is way beyond my ability right now) .
Backdashing takes a huge toll on my mental stack though, it feels sluggish and I need to shake the instinctive thought it will hurt me, because I'm putting myself very close to the wall.

well practice will make perfect...

Yeah it’s a little weird at first kind of like how crouch blocking in tekken isn’t as safe as stand blocking, opposite to 2d. I guarantee as you keep doing it in matches and cash in on that free damage you will love it. Remember that unlike most 2d games, tekken has neutral guard for a lot of moves. This means even if someone’s jab hits you as you are in the middle of entering the backdash and at neutral stick position, you will still block. Some moves break this guard but the important thing to know is that it is generally very safe.

You don’t really have to do anything to set up a counter hit in orange rank. Just hit them with d+2 which puts you around +4 or 5. Then immediately do standing 4, and look for the counter hit. This only really works if they are mashing but that’s what everyone is doing at these ranks.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Char posted:

I tend to prefer playing against real humans but I'll try.

Now what's happening is that I'm backdashing, probably, too much: opponents do too, we end up being very far... and then I stand there thinking "wtf do I do now, perhaps I could start approaching again?".
The last King I played simply ran and dropkicked me as much as he could; am I correct in assuming that most wr moves are plus on block?

Leo has pretty good moves to approach, like qcf 2,1 , or qcf 1 or b1,4

This is where you have to start exploring your options and thinking.Try running at them and blocking before you are in range for ff2 or some other long range move. Did they do anything? If they whiffed something great, if not you can go for one of the moves above.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Char posted:

I didn't see any big-looking effect on db+4 CH, so I thought I had no real practical advantage, I was using it as a pseudo-poke to remind them they have to block low, the follow-up 1 is a reminder for monkey brains like me that Bad Things Happen if you get hit by it. I was aware it's like -31 on block, which makes it a move that shouldn't be used as a poke, but it seemed to me its range was better than other alternatives.
In some of my matches you'll notice I was using db+4 then df+1 to stop flowchart aggressions.

I also started noticing that d+4 actually seems to hit longer than it looks like (and this is something I'm having a bit of an issue with) so it would be a safer option compared to db+4, and...
---checks wavu---
it doesn't offer anything on CH, unlike db+4. But looking at all the low-hitting options, it seems to me the most usable outside of edge cases are d+4 and db+4

Okay, I've got something else to put in the notebook.
Use d+4 as the conditioning tool, land some mids, and stick a combo after if I get a feel for a CH db+4.

I watched some of those matches in your previous vid and you are improving a ton!

I agree that you shouldn't use db+4 without the 1, it's only better on CH and if you have that CH followup on dial which is hard. Plus if you do the full db+4,1 string it gets them off of you and knocked down which can be helpful. db+4,1 also really freaks out the opponent, way way more than simply taking a small poke in db+4. I never see any Leo players use just db+4

d+4 (often called the soccer kick) is only -11 on block, which is the least punishable any low gets, so you can throw it out much more safely than the hellsweep. Like you said it also has good range, its a great low to poke with or try to sneak a round ender in.

df+2+3 is an amazing move, it's short range and linear like you say, but only -12 and on CH you get a full combo! To pick up the combo you need to press 3 when you see the counter hit to get the WS3, and when you do this you'll see they go into the same juggle state as all your other stuff.
I would say you don't really need this move yet unless you want to add more complexity to your lows. Hellsweep alone will take you super far
If you are looking for more lows, QCF 1 is good too since on CH you get a free WS4,1+2 heat engage, but really I think you can just stick to hellsweep and d+4 for now.

For other notes I think if you keep working on the current stuff you will climb the ranks. You are creating a ton of whiffs right now so the more you try to capitalize on that with df+2 and 2,2 the more you will just start crushing people. Also you can probably use b1,4 KNK mixup even more to keep the pressure on them, I noticed in your matches that when you used that against passive opponents you were getting a ton of damage.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 18, 2024

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Artelier posted:

Okay, can someone explain how sidestepping works to me like I'm a five year old? I just can't get it.

Like I just did a Reina/Reina mirror match and they sidestepped some of my moves, and when I tried to induce the same situation, sidestepping the same way, I get stuffed or forced into block (I normally tap sidestep then holding block normally). What am I not getting?

Every time I'm matched up against someone better than me, it almost always comes down to better movement in general most likely, but pretty much all of them definitely have better sidestepping. Is it a hitbox thing, I'm too close? Am I inputting it too early? Too late? Do I have to do a full sidestep? (Which I tried, but I got stuffed every time I tried it too)

Sorry to state the obvious but you should check out the replay, especially to see if you are timing the sidestep as early as possible, or if a sidewalk would work instead.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Not that I've seen linked (or in the pins) sadly

Also I kinda like making spreadsheets so while it's a bunch of work might be fun to just toss on some music and create it :shobon:

Here's another good starting point, this has a ton of info about move properties as well like tracking
https://wavu.wiki/t/Nina_movelist

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Umbreon posted:

I think I might just be too much of an overly sensitive baby to properly enjoy this game.

yes, sorry

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

man nurse posted:

I want to hop online just to mop up the few trophies I’m missing for Platinum but I’m also restricted to wifi and people get a huge stick up their rear end about that so it’s kind of been deterring me from doing it. I know I shouldn’t care at all and I have stuff like voice chat and messages from strangers disabled but I hate knowing that I’m being frowned at for daring to play online by whoever

there are lots of other wifi players, what's the problem?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

man nurse posted:

I feel like this is the only genre where people get elitist over whether you’re using a wire or not. If you’re gonna play people across the world, it’s stupid to expect more than half of them to be plugging their machine directly into a wired connection, especially if it’s a popular game on consoles, which is most major fighters. Wi-Fi is an extremely common setup, and more often than not these days it’s completely usable. This isn’t the mid 2000s. But go off I guess, that trauma seems like it runs deep for people.

Enjoy your video games folks. They’re not that serious.

This... sounds like an emotional problem for you. good luck with that and maybe take your own advice?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shockeh posted:

Part of the issue with the favouring offense is it makes armour ridiculously good.

You want to be on offense, because offense is king. So you don't want to spend too much time blocking Power Crushes, because then you're on defence, and it's just a matter of time for you to guess wrong and eat 70-80. Power Crushes, however, if they land...
- Beat Highs
- Beat Mids
- Make it either Your Turn with a capital T or at worst, reset to neutral with pretty solid to frankly nutso damage.
...and if they guess the PC right, their payoff is a Low or a Throw (because again, they don't want to be blocking them, really)

This is obviously a very reductive view of a much broader conversation, but it's a bit of an unintended consequence of wanting to favour offense so strongly.

The generic armor moves are not that ridiculously good. They are a high commitment RPS that quickly becomes in your opponents favor if they know you are going it a lot. But a few characters have really good ones as part of their kit, generally heat engagers. But the regular armor move is not nearly as strong as you say.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

ded redd posted:

No one cares about Lidia.

wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

playing reina like an ordinary mishima is a trap. electric is not a good neutral tool with reina - you can actually duck it because it's a high attack. i've played reina dittos with losers with electric macros and it's hilarious watching the lights turn on in their heads when I duck their electrics. you'd think electric would be good in punish combos but it isn't even worth using when you can just heat smash and twirl for 270 damage a round.

:eyepop: