Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm looking to play this with some friends but have little interest in learning or practicing. I am a button masher at heart and have been since the days of Tekken Tag Tournament. That said I'm not just mashing mindlessly, I'll block, sidestep, throw, etc. I'm curious if there are any characters that lend themselves better to this attitude/approach or conversely if there are characters to avoid. I would think characters with unique mechanics that you need to leverage, like Steve, or that are stance-heavy would be a poor fit. So far I've just been slamming random, I don't have enough games played to make any concrete findings but have had some luck with Jun, Lars, and Azucena so far for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Have you tried Victor

I had not, literally just been hitting random. It would make more sense for me to systematically go through the characters as the gods have chosen that I only land on the same handful so far. He seems fun and I can see why one would suggest them to a button masher. This might not make sense but he's almost too fast though?

Foul Fowl posted:

i think any of those characters would be good but azucena seems like a perfect fit. jun is extremely fun to play and also pretty straight-forward but she's got a little bit of weird stance stuff. lars idk except he's got annoying lows.

I started picking Azucena and am having fun so far. I know she has a stance or something that allows her to dodge or counter highs and lows which seems like a simple but fun mechanic to master. I like Jun as she's got some Asuka stuff I used to enjoy in earlier games but I'm not sure about the counter stance, I wonder if it'll be a trap for me. No idea with Lars, honestly hated the guy when he was introduced to the series and it could just be dumb luck but did surprisingly well against my friend with them.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you're having trouble deciding on a character to start with, Fergus's guide is a good overview to differentiate them and highlights the things to start with when learning them

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CG-ZUE6EqqQk7QSfc1feddeS8411f8t38EMFQ1Le9Cc/edit

Really helpful, thanks!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Just came here to say, gently caress Feng.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Lol, feng is a fair character compared to most. I'd put him top 50% but not top 5. He does have good moves and good heat moves but not too much cheese. You'll mainly find him frustrating if you're pressing buttons during frame traps or when its not your turn.

I have no understanding of their abilities or performance compared to other characters and you've definitely got me pegged. Still though, gently caress Feng.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Hit my first wall on ranked as Azucena around vanquisher/destroyer. I seem to be running up against a lot of Reina, Victor, Lili, Law, Feng, Jun, and Steve which are all pretty annoying. I'm considering trying on some other characters for size but not particularly interested in picking up any that seem to be getting a lot of play on the ladder or are somewhat obnoxious(read: characters with easily spammable bullshit I have been able to fully handle yet). Some characters I'm considering right now are: Dragunov, Leo, Jack-8, Claudio, and Leroy.

I'm trying to get away from the button mashing but suspect there is a ceiling to how capable I am of learning the tougher mechanics, moves, combos, etc. I have been using a pretty beat up PS4 controller but am now testing out keyboard in quick match to see if it's a viable alternative and if leverless is an option worth considering either for ergonomics or gameplay performance.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Any good resources discussing controller options, in particular with respect to ergonomics and RSI? I'm using a pretty beat up PS4 controller, I use the d-pad but joystick grips are starting to crumble for context. I'm noticing my left wrist/hand getting a bit sore and am concerned about the potential for repetitive stress injuries. I'm trying my Logitech Ergo K860 to see if that's a better option. I've read keyboard is not comparable to leverless and can't be used to determine how effective I would be using such a controller.

My group may occasionally play at a friend's place on their PS5 so the controller would need to be compatible with that platform ideally. Some options I'm considering are: a new PS4 controller, PS5 DualSense, HORI Fighting Commander Octa for PS5, MayFlash F300 or F500. I'm open to other fight sticks or leverless but would prefer to remain under $200 CAD (roughly $150 USD) if possible.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I got a Fightbox F1 (99usd), and to play on PS5 I had to get a Brook Wingman (60usd) so slightly over your price point but it has been good lol

I was looking at the Brook Wingman and they don't include the Fightbox F1 in their list of compatible devices unless I'm missing something. I assume there are a number of devices not listed which work with it, just curious if you found a more comprehensive list that included the F1.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Something very satisfying about getting stomped in the first round by a higher rank player, bringing it back in the second and them refusing to play a third. Sorry about your 10-win streak pal.

Levin fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 25, 2024

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Picked up a Haute42 T16 leverless and am using the following layout based on advice from the Discord channel:

The binds are what a friend suggested so our group had a consistent pad loadout for whenever we got together to play in-person. I know it's going to be a journey to go from button mashy pad play to more thoughtful leverless play so figure it's best if I start off with the layout I plan to use long-term. Interested in any thoughts or suggestions.

I'm noticing the 1+3 and 2+4 are a bit awkward to execute but wondering how important those binds are given how frequently those throws get broken. Reaching the 1+2 to try and break throws has been challenging so far.

So far the biggest challenge is posture and hovering my hands to better access all the buttons. Sitting up straight with the controller in my lap still doesn't feel like sufficient distance to properly hover them and the urge to rest my wrists is strong.

My inclination is to go with a setup that has the face buttons along the top row so I can rest my hands somewhat like it would with a keyboard but I reckon that's not optimal long-term and would make fitting the DDI movements more challenging. I'm still not sure I understand DDI or if I've configured them correctly but I figure that's something I can worry about down the line.

I'm back to being able to at least take a match off my friends but not winning many sets. I'm still able to mash pretty okay which is unfortunate. Playing Azucena and Jack-8 currently if that matters.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

1234 are traditionally the leftmost buttons (that aren't directionals) on a hitbox, that layout would bug me but if you're used to it go nuts. You should really feel free to bind whatever wherever based on what you actually use, it's not unheard of for people to have a different controller config per character. There's no "optimal" here, but before training yourself with a bunch of different utility buttons try playing a bunch of matches with just your normal 1234 and see what you could actually use a shortcut for.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've been trying this a little. I think the offsetting of the buttons is helpful and the fewer buttons to mash will hopefully make me a little more deliberate with my inputs.

Pockyless posted:

what the hell is ddl and ddr

Dual-Directional Input Left and Dual-Directional Input Right. My understanding is they can correspond to to DL and DR on an analog stick. These are meant to allow for easier Korean backdashing and wavedashing I'm told?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

wait aren't you the guy who plays azucena, doesn't want to practice and just wants to gently caress around offline with friends? why do you have buttons mapped for kbd which you can't do and wavedash which your character isn't capable of?

seriously just focus on directions and 1234, the game is built around those buttons.

I am, they've gotten better and I guess I want to as well. Tried the layout based on suggestion from Discord, thought it best to practice a layout I might eventually want to use but you're right, simple is best to start.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

WhatEvil posted:

Woo. Made it to Mighty Ruler. Still can't do launchers or combos.

I bet I'd be *really* dangerous if I learned that poo poo.

Anybody got any pointers to learn when I can get launchers off?

Congrats fellow Mighty Ruler Jack-8, let us pound our chests in celebration.

I have started trying to mix in launchers even if I can't combo very well off them, helps keep opponent honest so I can get some throws in still. Heat engagers are an opportunity if you've trained them to expect throws. My launch combos are pathetic though, 40-45 dmg tops.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Friend shared this reddit post discussing Harada's responses to team battle and tekken shop: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/1bhg4lj/harada_explaining_why_theres_no_team_battle_in_t8/

I'm curious if anyone is familiar enough with the development of fighting games that they can explain why team battle would be so costly to implement. Also, a friend remarked on the load times for team battle being terrible in the past before SSD but I know Tekken Tag was able to implement a system where multiple characters were loaded at one time so what's the challenge in doing so for a team battle format? I'm thinking like the 3-on-3 team-based format KoF has.

I can understand not going to the trouble if in fact the demand for the mode is not there or there's data to suggest it will not be used but I have a hard time believing it would see less play than Tekken Ball. Personally, I would love that mode and had a blast doing 8 character battles with friends back in the day. It was refreshing to not play against the same handful of characters ad infinitum and encouraged us to get familiar with more of the cast. There was some strategy involved as well, do you start with your main hoping to run up a lead against your opponent? Do you arrange your roster to gain some matchup advantage?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Lhet posted:

This has been my first tekken I've put real time into since about 4, been bouncing around yellow/red with leo (Jack-8 is my alt but really struggling getting any wins). Pretty much just leaning on the knk mixup and jabs, doing well when it works and struggling when I can't get a turn. (e. the moves I'm using are B1,4,mixup; 1,2,mixup; F4,mixup; 1+2, FF2, F2+3, grabs) I'm generally being very slow about adding moves because I want to be good at using good tools but LMK if there are any suggestions I should be using.
I'm often folding to people with heavy pressure strings involving a lot of ducking so that it's hard to jab them out, people who mixup a lot with throws (particularly king), and just getting my back to the wall and taking way too much damage. Also people who space well, get me to whiff and punish heavily - but I feel like every time that happens I learn a lot.

I'm not a good Tekken player but I have improved a bit over the last couple months. I was just discussing with a friend is how helpful it can be to find a way to care less about winning and reframe losing. Obviously this is easier said than done and something I'm still working on.

One of the challenges I am dealing with is the overwhelming amount of stuff to learn and master. Whenever I try to learn something new and incorporate it I invariably lose more for a period of time. This makes sense but can be frustrating which goes back to being able to care less about winning and reframe losing. If my goal is to improve as a player I am going to experience these growing pains, losing more in the short-term to hopefully improve overall in the long run.

I would suggest picking a couple things you want to work on and using quick or player matches to practice them. You will lose but your goal is not to win, it's to get better at those things. So every time you're able to whiff punish, use a certain move, complete a combo, etc. you chalk that up as a win.

Levin fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 27, 2024

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I highly recommend the Tranquility mod for those who get frustrated with the ups and downs of ranked mode: https://tekkenmods.com/mod/3673/tranquility-no-stress-hud-modifier-for-tekken-8-v-1-2-0. It eliminates stuff like prowess, rank, points, etc. so you don't obsess over them unnecessarily. I'll admit I still take a peek at a player's profile sometimes but it's great going an entire session without dwelling on whether I'm close to demotion or promotion.

Levin fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Something that I found helpful early on was having friends to play with who were patient and understanding. There is so much to learn and unless you're willing to put in a lot of effort it can be very discouraging. They would kindly point out things like armour, power crush moves, moves with plus frames, etc. It was still a lot to digest and absorb but getting my rear end kicked constantly was a lot more fun and tolerable in that environment than I think it would have been trying to grind in casual or ranked mode.