Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I haven’t played Tekken much since Tag 1, but this one looks really really good

I play a lot of FGs but I’m not very good at Tekken I feel like it’s a completely different skill set. Is there some sort of guide for “hi I know you play these but here’s what’s different”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Goddamn Reina is immediately fun with no idea what she does

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m so loving bad at this game lol. Unless there’s a reason the matchmaking just puts me with people that are liek 40k Tekken points higher than me

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

https://youtu.be/YEDLRTOjxcA?si=IWvae2TEwnde-3yn

Here’s a 3 hour YouTube showing every character and explaining them.

This made me wanna change mains like, 7 times unfortunately

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m getting absolutely wrecked lol. I play SF (not 6 yet), GG well enough, smash at very high level but this is just its own thing entirely.

Also I’m trying Reina who is a totally new moveset instead of yoshimitsu who I remember vaguely from like, 2002. My Tekken fundamentals are just bad I’m way too aggressive

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

It's my understanding Reina is kind of hard mode if you're coming into 8 mostly cold.

drat that makes sense. My other issue is yoshimitsu also seems to be hard mode and I just love him

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I’m
Finally winning matches mainly because it’s matching me with people as bad as me after losing like 5 matches in a row

But man was it cool to see a good Alisa just completely destroy me flying around the screen with chainsaws. Forgot what game I was playing for a bit

Also switched from Reina back to Yoshimitsu. Yes he’s hard yes he’s weird but come on. Sword

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think people took this tweet too seriously

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1302380197560414211

Edit: oh right tweets

"This every Guilty Gear character vs every Tekken character"

I mean half the characters in this game are “Paul. He punches. 15 related guys. They punch but lightning. Nina and Anna. They punch but they’re sexy”

It’s why when you see a bear or the chainsaws or helicopter blades it’s still like wait. What is this

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think having one middle eastern character in your roster of 30 is especially pandering.

I’m middle eastern and like Rashid in sf so much more

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am learning by just getting my rear end beat over and over as yoshimitsu, and then sometimes watching yoshi matches where I go “goddamn that’s a move he has? What”

Such a weird FG learning experience compared to an SF or GG. Like flat out not knowing all the moves is wild to me lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yoshi tip: helicopter mode is insanely safe for some reason and everything mixes up into everyone else

Weasling Weasel posted:

Despite sounding like it comes through the 2000's, I literally can't stop the opening movie music from playing in my head on loop.

In Arcade quest when you get to the arcade that remixes I think the TTT1 theme music I FLIPPED OUT

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 4, 2024

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I spent a chunk of time unlocking super ghost outfits today and so many of them are incredibly lame

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

I don't think everyone speaking their own language is some clever trick, I think Namco just sucks at certain things. Irish characters speaking with English accents, iirc marduk used to have american VA etc. Tekken rules but everything namco does aint great. Fillipinos panned josies VA and Ive seen the same for Shaheen and his arabic which apparently sounds super weird.

Anyways Feng is badass. Definitely gonna be my main focus til Eddy. Also to any new players, he has a lot of great tools that you want in a character but also some really cool higher level slick stuff. A great character to pick up if you dont want to use a boring char like Shaheen but also don't want to commit to a very unique/weird character. Hes got a great i15 launcher, a great i10 punish, a great in between punish (b 1+2), an incredible list of pokes, a good backswing blow (bf1), Good plus frames (b3, ff3 etc.), and his two main stances (shifting clouds and backturned) both have armor now. His two main combo routes aren't that hard either. He ticks all the boxes of good tekken fundamental tools while also having a deep movelist and a lot of stances to play your own unique and tricky way.

When your character is missing a good tekken tool you feel it. For instance Xiaoyus pitiful i10 punishes or with eddy his terrible side step range and very little access to viable + frames. Oh and using Ganryu in t7 was real hard to grasp as he has no i10 jab.

Shaheen speaks a dialect of Arabic that is like if Paul spoke Shakespearean English

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Levin posted:

I'm looking to play this with some friends but have little interest in learning or practicing. I am a button masher at heart and have been since the days of Tekken Tag Tournament. That said I'm not just mashing mindlessly, I'll block, sidestep, throw, etc. I'm curious if there are any characters that lend themselves better to this attitude/approach or conversely if there are characters to avoid. I would think characters with unique mechanics that you need to leverage, like Steve, or that are stance-heavy would be a poor fit. So far I've just been slamming random, I don't have enough games played to make any concrete findings but have had some luck with Jun, Lars, and Azucena so far for whatever reason.

Have you tried Victor

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’ve been watching a lot of good Yoshimitsu on YouTube and like… I think he’s actually good this time? Super big brain mode though

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I've been playing Tekken 8 again after a bit of a break. Just lots of other games getting in the way, but I try to play a little bit everyday.

I came back after a bit of a break and I’m somehow better

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Something weird that happened I’ve been watching a lot of Yoshimitsu online

I’ve actively become better just by watching. I use a lot of moves that I didn’t use before and I know when to use them and I pick up some combos and routes that now makes sense

Especially with a game like Tekken, where the moves set is absolutely huge. It makes a big difference to watch a pro player and see what they do and don’t use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m having the same issue with dlc characters I had with Guilty Gear. Learning a new character is a huge curve and there’s like a billion characters I haven’t learned yet so why bother unless the new one looks amazing

With smash I feel like characters you can pick up very quickly so it was always fun to try the new ones, SF was similar where a lot of characters have a similar skeleton. Tekken every character feels like learning a new game (maybe cuz I play Yoshi)