Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Nazzadan posted:

Made a Bryan combo tutorial since online doesn't work anyways, give it a watch if you want to get his bnbs down quickly.

I hope in T9 i can just upload custom practice combos but until then this is a great vid for a lapsed t5 bryan main. Thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Basticle posted:

In my experience games with ping over 80 are still pretty decent and games against wifi users are still playable but if they're both of those things it's a loving unplayable nightmare

Filtering by 5 has reduced my wifi vs rate by a LOT (or to stable enough ones to where i cant tell either way). Even filtering at 4 half my matches were jittery poo poo.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

The treasure chest people in the super ghost room rotate in and out. Well not sure about coming back in after they're beaten, but you can definitely beat a room, reset, new people in the room. Probably the faster way to find an individual char

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Fuckin love Bryan. I've been hitting punishment training hard since my slow reaction is my number one fault right now, missing chances to capitalize f b 2s on punishments. Ive also been updating my nazzadan combo repertoire. I'm not a fan of the knee pickups but gwd of destruction got some bnb combos doing 80+ dmg with em so I'm downloading it to the muscle memory. Almost in yellow ranks now and everyone still gets hit by the f 2 3 2 1 2 even when they block the rest. The day that gets blocked is when I'll stop going up in rank lmao. Also throw Alisa B in there in the zoner chat with weird mobile moves and projectiles and lingering hitbox chainsaws.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Seltzer posted:

Man, I don't know how many people have this as their first tekken, but things even in 7 used to suck a lot more. A reminder that there was no frame data in tekken 7 til halfway through the games cycle and you had to pay for it when they added it (luckily for me it was included in that season DLC bundle which I got). You used to have to go to sites like RBNorway.org to look up your characters data.

Walking into golfland at 9 am with my notebook with frame data collated from good gamefaqs posters and shoryuken while everyone else pulls theirs out and compares their data with everyone elses because this new Dragunov fella is v annoying.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I'm wondering why some of these connection "rules" are why i sometimes get passed up multiple times in a row waiting in ranked sometimes. (console wired) I've definitely had some lovely matches lag wise from wifi people and bad computer people but it's been like maybe 10%? (us nw coast)

I kept thinking like no way are people this scared of the bryan pic lmao

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Every Alisa i face in ranked is played by someone on a lagswitched slomo sideshow to take max advantage of the active damage frames lmfao. Like it's been more than 5 times it's not a coincidence.

I sometimes get salty at losing to poo poo I know better than to lose to but tbh NOTHING makes me rage froth at the mouth than people who are higher rank than me who beat me in the first set but who i beat in the second...who cancel the third round.
Your loving grandma could be having a heart attack i do not give a gently caress get BACK HERE YOU loving COWARD!!!!! Bryan has tasted your blood and needs to FINISH THIS!!!

I also have rage art set to the row of buttons im not using on my stick so i can dramatically hardslap my finishers.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

The tekken thread is going to say tekken i think. I haven't really gelled with a street fighter since 3, the 3D era of sf is kinda missing me. I think tekken is also the easiest casually to get into but has a bigger window for individual styles to shine thru. Like mirror matches feel the least mirrored in tekken if that makes sense.

Bryan chat: i am complete rear end at fb2 punishes and its driving me insane. I think I'm starting the input too late during the block animation. Qcb1 is a crutch but a strong crutch at least.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

If its someone I'm facing in ranked for the first time, as Bryan i like to start with a 2 3. If they go for a big tracking attack or ss i have time to block after the 2, if they block it they're far enough from me to be in the Bryan Danger Zone, reset to neutral, and if they try anything fancier theyll eat the 2 or 3. If they're aggressive it usually works to my advantage, but if their defense is on point I usually fold before they do if i lose initiative close up.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Char posted:

Almost got to red ranks.
And I'm getting gatekept by other red ranks :(

I'm noticing I can't move as well as other players do, I have to think about how I'm moving which kills all momentum; also my coach/buddy yells at me because I don't poke enough, and I'm ":???: dude what the gently caress do I do after poking? Nothing! How do I leverage advantage when the other plaher will block, get pushed back, backdash and force me to move forward again groan"

I'm finding movement really hard to learn

One of the ways to get used to incorporating ss as a counter to endless blocking and poking is to pick your safest on block short string and practice just ssr and hold it to walk a sec after the string is blocked. When you feel a tug of war coming, do the string and ssr, if they try to autopilot retort theyll whiff and you'll be to their side/behind. If you have a safe ss attack or string, use it too and theyll stop poking to stop getting hit by it becoming ripe for walk/dash up throws.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I've blocked a lot of slide show pc ppl cause it's just slo mo matches. I've even reported a few that were particularly egregious single fps affairs. Hope they fix it soon for them pc folks. There's also lots of hitchy rear end games with the streaming tag so i always assume those are people overestimating their connection

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Seltzer posted:

It's funny this tekken 8 online community has a lot newer players since 7 and/or maybe online discourse has changed a bit but I see a lot more salt now over things that aren't really that cheap. It's gonna be hilarious when this crowd has to deal with eddy and marduk on release.

I feel like so much of Eddy's reputation is from like tekken 3 and with everyone having armor moves and heat and RAs these days he won't be scary. Marduk will be a buffer King and cause everyone to smash their tvs in rage tho.

Do weeknights have on average for yall worse wifi player connections or better than the weekend? Probably less people overall but more than half my matches over like a 2 1\2hr period tonight have been some potato rear end wifi connections. Pc is always a crapshoot because of the performance anyways but console wifi is definitely worse than pc wifi on average too. I think I'm just going to take the blowouts and change to max rank range in ranked, maybe that'll give me more consistent connections to get blown up in.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I too am flirting with red ranks and it's this weird situation where I'm blowing up 150k folks and getting blown up by 75k folks and I guess that number don't mean that much.

So bryan mains and sidestep gurus, help me out with something. I've been watching my replays in which i get downloaded after i win the first match trying to come up with alternate stuff or just trying to be less predictable. Here is my problem, best i can describe it.

When I'm in my element starting out things are great. I'm mixing up my openings, finding good interrupt opportunities, keeping up frame traps and doing my general oppressive control of the space in front of me. I push forward with high low mixups, throw my fat crumple 34s and d34s and qcfs 1 and 3/4 mixups, switch it up when i get close, and get fat value from ws1/2 interrupts, cool.

And then it clicks on their end, and they back the hell up and guard up. Now if this is a less cracked player, depending on their character/knowledge options, i can still get in, try to bait something out etc. If they're good and patient, now I'm hosed. When i whiff I'm taking big punish damage. Kings and jins just start throwing armor moves, other mishimas start the mixup strings etc and i totally lose initiative and get whittled down. Some of it is knowledge checks i dont have down sure but a lot of characters can just use their superior moves to bully their character thru to point blank range where a lot of bryans control tools are not as potent while at frame disadvantage and play the baiting game at far range until they can bully thru from my mistakes.

How do i stop from falling into this trap? Should i be working on my movement and trying to sidewalk bait some stuff? Rushing in and attacking almost never seems to be the right call.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Mid/late red rank is where flowcharts and unga bunga offense start to fail and you need to actually figure out how to open up an opponent. IME, most of tekken at this level is training your opponent to predict what you're going to do, and then do the thing that blows that up. At the most basic level this means (for example) hatchet kick until they start to block low and then launch them for it. You want to force your opponent into (at least what they think is) a 50/50 and make them guess wrong as much as possible.

Yeah, this is the problem I'm having, getting back into position to start pressing those buttons after they back off. I always feel I'm making the wrong choice when I'm trying to get back into button range. If i walk or dash up block they wait me out, and power thru other buttons. I

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It sounds like you're always pressing the attack, which will only get you so far. The flip side of having to deal with people being defensive is that you also have to learn to be defensive, but more than that patient. There's zero reason to push if you have the life lead, just take the time to let them do their thing and gather data. I'll tell ya as a hard stuck mighty ruler, the thing that gets me killed most often is running my offense when i don't have to, because the more tricks I show them up front the more time they have to figure me out.

Yeah this is it. I don't NEED to run after them, often times this happens when i have like a 3 to 1 life lead. Just gotta tell myself that even the FURY needs to chill when I'm already in the advantageous position.

Edit:

I'm seeing it so much now especially that last part really sticking out because my very mentality is "and now I'll come in with something new" when i move in which gets blown up, downloaded, and countered next time. And "now I'll just park my rear end back and wait for the run up" is what i actually need to do and there's no need to switch it up until they counter what got me that life lead to begin with. As long as they're trying to get in my space I'm keeping the initiative anyways.

Thanks dr fishopolis and everyone else

OxMan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 1, 2024

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Char posted:

One day you get close to Shiryu
the next day you barely save yourself from getting back into Destroyer

This goddamn game. It makes me feel I'm stealing all of my wins.
Which is probably true

Char posted:

I didn't track my winrate much but I've yet to break 40%.

Is winrate by round, match, or set?

The problem you have isn't "stealing" wins, it's not embracing the steal. I beat people way higher rank than me who don't respect RAs, go heavy on throws or mixups in different sets etc. Surprise wins fights. Confusion wins fights. I'll condition an overhead after heat smash for 2 sets and never do it in the third. Everyone has lots of tools and mixing them up in frame trappy or otherwise scumbag ways are the best way to win. It's not about always doing the right move, it's about your threat making them make bad moves. Im learning this too as i move to control space more vs necessarily trying to hit or maintain an offensive.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Nice Van My Man posted:

Every time I spend a bunch of rounds trying to condition something then switch it up and it doesn't pay off I always remember Fragmasters "why would you not bet the river!?" from this old video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbVJAzAV5uk&t=376s. I don't know what this has to do with anything I just had to get it out there.

Lmao, drat. I put a lot of eggs in the conditioning basket since I'm trying to set the pace most of the match, but i can usually tell if conditioning didn't take. For example, double qcb 3s with bryan. If you eat both, I'll keep tossing both. If you block my first one, you got me downloaded, now i gotta switch it up. But if i hit the first and get the second blocked? I'll throw it again and get punished, and then switch the second up to a fast mid, or if i know theyre good enough to try and parry it, ws1 will close out the round usually. I've yet to reach the plateau of players that can punish all that on reaction (comfortably in orange/red) so it still works, but i definitely played a few and at the point my only options remain safe ones i start to falter and get whittled down.

For how offensive focused a game tekken is it sucks how much a bad defense on my part plays a part in my losses.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Alright whos in with me on this chipotle class action forest lawsuit?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Any tips for a stiffer stick (wink wink) for a qanba drone (older black and yellow one)?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Id like to pour a 40 to the real dead characters, Victor and claudio. I used to run into them all the time but now only the Jins remain. 150kish is such a fun bracket because I'm not good enough to blow most people up so there's lots of time to play around and learn your opponent and the funnest part about that late red early blue era is how different people are, how some got here by being insanely good at x but never ducking a high, or have a great string and pressure game but no defense (hello fujin reinas and jins)

And I'm the poo poo defense here. I can see jin d2 coming but i hesitate to commit to the animation because I'm more scared to eat the mid.

Edit poo poo and thanks nazzadan for the stick recommendation I'm going to go with the easier first choice i think

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I'd be insanely hyped for Moku/Tetsujin and Alex/Roger, but i also think Kuma/Panda are p. hype.

Edit:

Vvvvvvvvvv hell of. Dr B over Lei Wu Long for Floor supremacy. It'd also be cool to see how Bruce would fit it into this offense heavy t8.

Tbh there's a lot of tekken characters that i feel were kinda dumb animation/design wise from 4 on (Lars, Lili, Claudio, Zafina) , that are legacy in 8 so I'm mostly excited for everyone else who isn't in. Sorry it wasn't marduk Naz!

OxMan fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 29, 2024

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Please do not disrespect the prime minister of Poland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Nice Van My Man posted:

Reina is untouched. I kind of figured they'd do that but I was a little curious since people usually put her as a high teir but her win rate is abysmal and I haven't seen too much of her at tournaments.

I think Lidia is going to suck in some Reina enjoyers on top of that. Seeing Reinas less makes me want to pick her up more. I started dabbling in Lili and she's ok but reinas buttons are just funner to press.