Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
having done IT at a local government were we had tons of younger interns, I can confirm that they're as helpless as older people at using a computer, like multiple people couldn't figure out how to plug in an external mouse into their laptops, it was dire, I'm glad I got fired from that job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

mobby_6kl posted:

are you trying to say this would be a bad thing?

On one hand I do pine for The Internet of 2007 I'm not gonna lie. I absolutely think Zuck starting the trend (and he actually did start it) of making peoples real lives, and real names be the focal point of the online lives rather than Aliases and Interests was an absolutely incredible mistake for the internet from a cultural and social perspective, but it was all in the interest is business and accountability. I don't like the way "Online" and "Offline" have effectively merged seemlessly and I don't think thats some sort of insane boomer take.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Mordor She Wrote posted:

having done IT at a local government were we had tons of younger interns, I can confirm that they're as helpless as older people at using a computer, like multiple people couldn't figure out how to plug in an external mouse into their laptops, it was dire, I'm glad I got fired from that job.

i guess knowing how to plug in a mouse wasn't a job requirement then was it

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
high time that scams got cancelled in my opinion

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ape Fist posted:

On one hand I do pine for The Internet of 2007 I'm not gonna lie. I absolutely think Zuck starting the trend (and he actually did start it) of making peoples real lives, and real names be the focal point of the online lives rather than Aliases and Interests was an absolutely incredible mistake for the internet from a cultural and social perspective, but it was all in the interest is business and accountability. I don't like the way "Online" and "Offline" have effectively merged seemlessly and I don't think thats some sort of insane boomer take.

While that definitely doesn't help, I posit that nothing is gonna get fixed until we get rid of the real disease of today's internet: The attention economy.

It needs to become economically unviable to SEO yourself into some niche of interest and vomit ads (and affiliate fraud) all over it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

idgi. what about "liking" the pictures implies that those people thought they were real. maybe they just enjoyed looking at the bright colours and stimulating imagery

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Aramis posted:

While that definitely doesn't help, I posit that nothing is gonna get fixed until we get rid of the real disease of today's internet: The attention economy.

My first instinct is to say "Thats never going away", but honestly generational changes are so weird. Zoomers who parent Gen B might atually become hyper anti-online activity and try to lecture their kids on basically only using the Internet for practical purposes and trying to stay away from it for other reasons. Millennials, the parents of Gen A, have actually already lost their kids to the attention economy. (I'm a parent to 3 young gen A boys, even outside of Youtube almost all of the popular amazon prime shows for kids their ages are basically kid-safe twitch streamers, people like Preston Plays, Ryan's World, etc.)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think it's an issue of selection, like for millenials during childhood, and boomers at any point, getting online required/s some degree of learning.

like millenials mostly got into the internet during an era where it was harder to use, which didn't make millenials axiomatically smarter, but it meant that to be online you had to be the type of person who'd learn to navigate it.

any boomer who gets into the internet at least has to learn the bare minimum to get onto the internet, which is a low barrier now, but still a barrier

zoomers have nearly universally been online by default, and since the advent of social media everything online has looked and acted like a scam, making it much harder for them to tell which things are scams-with-service, and which are scams-without-service.

i dunno if its that zoomers are dumber, so much as it is that more dumb zoomers are online as a percentage

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Ape Fist posted:

I don't think they should, I think UX design is a really important field, and it has made the internet accessible to hundreds, perhaps billions of really stupid people. If the internet was "much harder to use these days" it would continue to be populated by obtuse vBulletin Forums and Imageboards and search engines which required metatags in the html to index.

harder in the sense that a couple decades of ux practitioners have created a web wherein everything is a scam. hth

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hammerite posted:

idgi. what about "liking" the pictures implies that those people thought they were real. maybe they just enjoyed looking at the bright colours and stimulating imagery

Yeah, it just looks neat!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

online scams are actually world leading in UX design because they have to be accessible to the dumbest possible people, so modern internet UX has actually been reverse engineered from scammer technology

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Guess I really am from the blessed generation. Too young to boom, too smart to zoom

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

harder in the sense that a couple decades of ux practitioners have created a web wherein everything is a scam. hth

I guess not if you're a chronically online cynic whose been here for 25 years haha ye buddy never going offline, here 'till i die, hoorah :cheers:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

juggalo baby coffin posted:

online scams are actually world leading in UX design because they have to be accessible to the dumbest possible people, so modern internet UX has actually been reverse engineered from scammer technology

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Unironically this. The line between scam and :airquote:accepted:airquote: web practices is fuzzy as all hell. It's not a novel example at this point, but the myriad of subtle and blatant hoops websites jump through to fool people into accepting tracking cookies is a sight to behold.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

hci is still cool though

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lets see how your brain would do if it was 80% microplastics

maybe try walking a mile in their crocs before making fun

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Younguns will never get the thrill of playing a flash game to get a ball through a hoop that launches a scam website that hijacks your mouse

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ape Fist posted:

I don't think they should, I think UX design is a really important field, and it has made the internet accessible to hundreds, perhaps billions of really stupid people. If the internet was "much harder to use these days" it would continue to be populated by obtuse vBulletin Forums and Imageboards and search engines which required metatags in the html to index.

Threatening with a good time.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I don't like the internet anymore :(

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
playing old school runescape by age 10 should be mandatory

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Half joking but I also don't really find it as fun tbh.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Outpost22 posted:

the turning point was people using their real name and face

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Booty Pageant posted:

I played so much runescape in the mid 2000s.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Doesn't surprise me. The economy is so hosed by boomers and genx that millenials can just barely get by and gen z is absolutely hosed. It makes no surprise that they'd fall for poo poo like "invest 200$ in this rotting ape NFT and you can be a millionaire and finally move out from mum and dads basement"

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

plus teenagers be horny

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

huh

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Drone_Fragger posted:

Doesn't surprise me. The economy is so hosed by boomers and genx that millenials can just barely get by and gen z is absolutely hosed. It makes no surprise that they'd fall for poo poo like "invest 200$ in this rotting ape NFT and you can be a millionaire and finally move out from mum and dads basement"

the cool boomer has logged on

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Hell Gem

Booty Pageant posted:

that game is for children, it should be Ultima Online. That built character.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bum the Sad posted:

that game is for children, it should be Ultima Online. That built character.

:haibrow:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Drone_Fragger posted:

hahahahahaha loving NFTs what the gently caress man

lol and lmao at anyone who fell for that poo poo

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

get them all jobs in retail banking/finance if you want a crash course in navigating janky rear end software

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

get them all jobs in retail banking/finance if you want a crash course in navigating janky rear end software

VBRUN300.DLL makes the world go 'round

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Ape Fist posted:

Half joking but I also don't really find it as fun tbh.

i want to use metacrawler again. i think having an actually useful and efficient search engine again that can find whatever stupid bullshit youre looking for instantly without being a shell to serve ad links alone would be revolutionary.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

XYZAB posted:

i want to use metacrawler again. i think having an actually useful and efficient search engine again that can find whatever stupid bullshit youre looking for instantly without being a shell to serve ad links alone would be revolutionary.

theres kagi, but you gotta pay for it

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

The internet and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Guess I really am from the blessed generation. Too young to boom, too smart to zoom

Chill lenial

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Haven't there been several articles linked on these here forums talking about the general technical comprehension of Gen Z being pretty awful despite being constantly surrounded by technology? I swear there's been like a half dozen of various ones posted.

Anyway the conclusion was usually that millennials are forever the computer touchers and janitors. There is no escape.

My two fun anecdotes is, first, a couple nieces and nephews scoffing at me (like age 12-14 I think) that they know about computers and stuff but then got mad when I pointed out that locking their iPad is not the same as actually restarting it. But that's kids lol

The second is I have known several people who worked happily in IT for years, and in the last 5-10 all just decided to cut most of their tech use, nuke all forms of social media, and then move out rural or to the mountains. Given the shitshow that is the internet becoming just social media and how bad that is I wonder if they were on to something :thunk:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

R.L. Stine posted:

i can't think of a single smart person. it's not a generation thing everyone is just stupid. humans will die out without having done anything of merit. i don't even know the so-called 'alphabet'

they make soup for that now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Linux Pirate posted:

The internet and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.