Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i strongly suspect that a much larger percentage of boomers know how to fix cars than millenials. but most millenials still drive cars, and are surrounded by cars all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Earwicker posted:

i strongly suspect that a much larger percentage of boomers know how to fix cars than millenials. but most millenials still drive cars, and are surrounded by cars all the time.

I was never taught how to fix or maintain a car and I really don't care to learn.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’m gonna scam the poo poo out of gen z, you think i’m just gonna let them get away with skibidi toilet? they will be paying me back one way or another for the rest of their lives.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Bad Purchase posted:

i’m gonna scam the poo poo out of gen z, you think i’m just gonna let them get away with skibidi toilet? they will be paying me back one way or another for the rest of their lives.

get em fella

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Earwicker posted:

To be fair, older cars were more amenable to owner maintenance and repair.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Earwicker posted:

nah, you put ‘em in front of any model later than the year 2000 and they start sweating and swearing about how everything new is garbage made by communists. not like the good ol days :argh:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Earwicker posted:

I used to agree with that sentiment, and you definitely have a point when it comes to troubleshooting and configuration. But I've run into enough Gen Z workers doing the digital equivalent of going "Wait, there's a button to make the bar things wipe water off my windshield?!?" to stop empathizing.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 25, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

I was never taught how to fix or maintain a car and I really don't care to learn.

and you probably wont need to because modern cars are a lot more reliable, and we have a lot more services now that exist to help in situations where you've broken down, and fewer remote areas where such services are unavailable than in we did in the past.

the same applies with computers and the internet. when i first started going online i had to first figure out how to get online, how to use a modem and learn enough basic unix to navigate around my dad's netcom account, how to use irc to talk to people, etc. and etc. and when i first started playing games i was constantly loving around with the computer to make my games work better. the first time i ever watched an internet video (a 40-second news clip of a beached whale being exploded with dynamite) i had to download it in 82 seperate parts from usenet and then assemble them. it took hours.

none of that is necessary anymore. a 5 year old can get online an have access to millions of videos within a few seconds using a simple touchscreen device without even knowing how to type words. there are millions of games you can download instantly and they (mostly) all work immediately without making any modifications to the device. so there's simply far less incentive to learn any of the mechanics of how the stuff works

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 25, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

then they complain about how you have to take the oil somewhere afterwards. not like the good ol days. then they’ll laugh and do this anyway:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

it’s a real “if you give a mouse a cookie” scenario, except it’s “if you give a boomer a reason to complain and pollute”

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

TrashMammal posted:

then they complain about how you have to take the oil somewhere afterwards. not like the good ol days. then they’ll laugh and do this anyway:

i don't see a problem

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Earwicker posted:

and you probably wont need to because modern cars are a lot more reliable, and we have a lot more services now that exist to help in situations where you've broken down, and fewer remote areas where such services are unavailable than in we did in the past.

True, but I think it's far more likely that young people today don't want to learn how to fix cars because fixing a modern car is vastly different from fixing one made like 30 years ago. Modern cars are loaded with proprietary technology, anti-tamper screws, plastic covers, etc that make them too tough to work on to be worth it. I remember changing the fuel injectors on my first car with only the instructions that came with the injectors and a chiltons manual. Imagine doing something like that on a car from 2020+.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

i don't see a problem

They should be throwing it into the ocean when they dispose of their car batteries

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i would simply buy an old car and maintain it for far longer than it was designed to last

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Grey Cat posted:

the most important thing is to make sure you replace the winter air with summer air when the season changes. its dangerous to have that cold winter air in the tires when its so hot outside. same for summer air when winter rolls around.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bossy lady posted:

True, but I think it's far more likely that young people today don't want to learn how to fix cars because fixing a modern car is vastly different from fixing one made like 30 years ago. Modern cars are loaded with proprietary technology, anti-tamper screws, plastic covers, etc that make them too tough to work on to be worth it.

yes but this same thing applies with computers

like, i'm in no sense a computer scientist or engineer, but when i was a teenager i knew enough stuff to install a new operating system or to upgrade a sound or graphics card, or how to hook up a modem, how to troubleshoot and solve various issues

but a modern teenager getting online through an iphone has no comparable way to learn how to open the thing up and mess around with it. nor do they have any need to do so since it already does what they want with little to no effort

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

the easiest marks are people who think they are too smart to scam so no wonder boomers, zoomers, and goons of all ages fall victim to the easiest grifts.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

NoiseAnnoys posted:

the easiest marks are people who think they are too smart to scam so no wonder boomers, zoomers, and goons of all ages fall victim to the easiest grifts.

how many years did goons spend subsidizing lowtax’s cookie habit?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I don't know if that article is true or not, but the only person I know who's fallen for an email scam is 18.

I just kind of blindly assumed that there would be a continuum of increasing internet savviness as kids grew up with more exposure. Maybe that was dead wrong, idk.

I saw the email and no normally functioning 25+ year old could have fallen for it. In a way, it was charming.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

TrashMammal posted:

how many years did goons spend subsidizing lowtax’s cookie habit?

lol like a decade, if not more. i dunno the exact number while i was in the wilderness for a bit, but there's a reason no more gofundmes are allowed here.

Nov 6, 2002

Earwicker posted:

like, i'm in no sense a computer scientist or engineer, but when i was a teenager i knew enough stuff to install a new operating system or to upgrade a sound or graphics card, or how to hook up a modem, how to troubleshoot and solve various issues

but a modern teenager getting online through an iphone has no comparable way to learn how to open the thing up and mess around with it. nor do they have any need to do so since it already does what they want with little to no effort

School age kids, and to a lesser degree college age, have spent most of their life on phones, tablets or Chromebooks. The dangers of downloading executables from strange websites onto a PC are not something that have any context for, let alone how to format a hard drive and reinstall their OS.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Grey Cat posted:

not learning how to do things out of spite is very boomer of you

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

mekyabetsu posted:

not learning how to do things out of spite is very boomer of you

Not wanting to do something because I don't feel like it isn't spite.
Not wanting to learn even more now that you've said this just to spite you is spite.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i feel like a lot of what we lived through was a very brief "awkward middle" that will soon be forgotten

history will tell it like this:

first music could only be heard by listening to someone perform it in person.
then music could be written down on paper
then music could be recorded and listened to later, and the recordings were bought and sold as objects
then music was streamed from the internet

history will forget the 5-7 year period when you'd need to know better than to download eminem-stan(full_uncut_version).exe off of limewire

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

SAY YOHO posted:

Massive understatement, new cars can barely be serviced by the dealers forget about private owners and even a lot of mechanics

We're talking stuff like removing the front bumper to get to the oil filter

Nov 6, 2002

I always hear people talk about how everyone should know how to change their own brakes, it's so easy and cheap! All you need is to watch a few Youtube videos, a lugnut wrench, socket set, clamps, torque wrench, ramps or a jack and jack stands and then you too can have the pleasure of crawling around under your car for two hours trying to figure out how to change the most important piece of safety equipment on your car to save yourself $200 every few years.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

I always hear people talk about how everyone should know how to change their own brakes, it's so easy and cheap! All you need is to watch a few Youtube videos, a lugnut wrench, socket set, clamps, torque wrench, ramps or a jack and jack stands and then you too can have the pleasure of crawling around under your car for two hours trying to figure out how to change the most important piece of safety equipment on your car.

gotta own a driveway to do all that in too

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I always hear people talk about how everyone should know how to change their own brakes, it's so easy and cheap! All you need is to watch a few Youtube videos, a lugnut wrench, socket set, clamps, torque wrench, ramps or a jack and jack stands and then you too can have the pleasure of crawling around under your car for two hours trying to figure out how to change the most important piece of safety equipment on your car to save yourself $200 every few years.

it gets less true for cars as time goes on, but in general owning a set of basic machine assembly tools is pretty indispensable as an adult unless you're rich enoug hto just pay for every single repair service you may encounter in life

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

A friend of mine was taking driving lessons to get their license in Colombia and was telling me about how the classes also taught them everything about car components, how to do rudimentary maintenance, change a tire, and other things of the sort. And this wasn't a special school or anything. Just regular classes anyone would take. My driving lessons in the US taught me what the pedals and turn signals were, how to parallel park, and that's about it. Shameful

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im a huge fan of the youtube repair videos where they skip over massive parts of the job

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i would simply buy an old car and maintain it for far longer than it was designed to last

That $300 '99 ranger gonna last longer than the next new car I buy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it gets less true for cars as time goes on, but in general owning a set of basic machine assembly tools is pretty indispensable as an adult unless you're rich enoug hto just pay for every single repair service you may encounter in life

This too

Also learn how to solder

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 25, 2024

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ape Fist posted:

I was lectured by a zoomer about how "The internet is much harder to use these days, and was far less complex when I was young.", and me who literally studied UX design staring blankly at them knowing with 100% certainty they were chatting absolute poo poo. A lot of Zoomers are massive, massive kruges too.

lmao actually, young people, I studied UX, and

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDKwCvD56kw

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i just live somewhere with working public transportation and walk everywhere, it's pretty great.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SAY YOHO posted:

that's exactly my point though. older computers - the average desktop pc in the 90's - were way more amenable to owner maintenance and repair than a current iphone or tablet.

as a consequence, the younger people who use the internet know less about how the tools they use to get online work, and do zero maintenance of those tools themselves. just like a lot of people who drive now know less about how cars work.

naem
May 29, 2011

TrashMammal posted:

zoomers’ disadvantage is that they didn’t spend their entire youth solving computer problems for narcissistic old people who feign ignorance and catastrophize the complexity of computer touching as a means of sheltering their egos from injury. like those kids who have a million allergies because they never rolled around in the dirt

nothing to look down on there at all. something to celebrate, really

moist banana bread posted:

Well everyone who assembles a desktop computer should be a computer scientist or programmer, everyone in America knows that.

I had to add that every dropout job I get everyone identifies me as the computer wizard because I know what ctrl-c/v does. If they like me, they bring me impossible problems IT should deal with. If they don't like me, they claim I killed the computer when I turn the monitor off. If you really tick me off I might do something incredibly destructive and beyond the pale such as unplug your keyboard.

Edit: I swear to christ alive I am not exaggerating one iota. This might be a cry for help.

one of my first professional office jobs:

a person near retirement age typed numbers into a spreadsheet, and then printed pages they handed me

my job was to walk across the building and scan those pages, and email them as a pdf to a second person.

that second person then printed those pdf’s, and typed those numbers into another, different spreadsheet. they had a little stand for the paper pages they printed to type from like it was 19-dickie-two

these two people sat next to each other. neither had any idea what the other did or where the numbers came from.

neither of them understood what a pdf was, like, the concept of a file format was, not a thing.

“you do all the computer work while I do the important stuff” they’d both say to me, separately, as I handed them pages and emailed the same pieces of scanned paper several times a day

they’d been hiring “assistants” and giving them entry level job titles for decades, giving dozens of millennial aged people work experience, treating them like idiots, and being surprised we all quit with work exp on the resume

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Earwicker posted:

My crowning achievements as a 9 year old with a new 1998 PC was learning how to apply cracks from the grey market ripped games I made my parents buy, and getting the Voodoo 2 card driver finally working. Got dang did glide look sick!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bossy lady posted:

I remember changing the fuel injectors on my first car with only the instructions that came with the injectors and a chiltons manual. Imagine doing something like that on a car from 2020+.

It's not that much different for port injection and on some cars maybe even easier. Direct injection is different and not something I have done but looking at a fairly decent video, doesnt take much more mechanical skill or issues with wiring.

The real problem is with stuff like taillights that have to be matched to the body control unit, where if you change it, the car will refuse to recognise it until the new unit is "paired". Thats not hard to do but actually getting the software to do it....... and thats going to be much bigger problem with EV's going forward. But for the purely mechanical grunt work, cars are not really that problematic. That aside there's plenty of older stuff in cars that is utterly demonic to work on and carburettors can gently caress the hell off

IMO Gen Z def has far less mechanical idea with cars but that's more a function of them being reliable and modern shitboxes just not being interesting that you want to work on them while also preferring other transport methods where they can rather than them dum kidz or whatever BS boomer would say - also you know just not owning a car because it's expensive as gently caress and they would rather have a roof over their heads and eat tonight

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 25, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

naem posted:

one of my first professional office jobs:

a person near retirement age typed numbers into a spreadsheet, and then printed pages they handed me

my job was to walk across the building and scan those pages, and email them as a pdf to a second person.

that second person then printed those pdf’s, and typed those numbers into another, different spreadsheet. they had a little stand for the paper pages they printed to type from like it was 19-dickie-two

these two people sat next to each other. neither had any idea what the other did or where the numbers came from.

neither of them understood what a pdf was, like, the concept of a file format was, not a thing.

“you do all the computer work while I do the important stuff” they’d both say to me, separately, as I handed them pages and emailed the same pieces of scanned paper several times a day

they’d been hiring “assistants” and giving them entry level job titles for decades, giving dozens of millennial aged people work experience, treating them like idiots, and being surprised we all quit with work exp on the resume

the kids will never know this horror and that is a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

im a huge fan of the youtube repair videos where they skip over massive parts of the job

"woah these caliper bolts are really stuck on there good"

*video flash forwards*

"ok, now that we've got those pesky bolts off let's move on to the next step"