Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TrashMammal posted:

how many years did goons spend subsidizing lowtax’s cookie habit?

Lowtax's cookie habit was one of his less objectionable vices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

GTR's and Cookie Jars

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

GTR's and Cookie Jars

Title of his biography

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Id love to learn how to fix my car but tragically cars changed from the 80s. Car companies realised if you jam everything into the engine bay as tightly as possible you can save 20 bucks of steel, and capitalism always wins over usability. I remember looking at my dads old VW engine when I was like 10 and that thing was massive with loads of space around it to actually fix things.

On my nissan note I tried to change the aux belt and tighten it and this involved taking the wheel off and all the trim inside the wheel bay, then Ineeded a special spanner because the gap to access the bolts to undo the belt tensioner is like 1 inch wide. In the end I gave up because my hands were physically too big to get the aux belt to take it off or put the new one on. Absolute shambles.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

A major problem with modern vehicles is the sheer amount of garbage that is bolted onto the engine for emissions, and now we're relying on turbos and mild hybrid systems/stop-start systems for extra efficiency all of which take up a sizeable part of the engine bay. Alternators are bigger than they used to be, as are radiators and HVAC heat exchangers, all automatic transmissions now have some form of cooling in the engine bay too. It's not just wanting to save a buck on engine bay space it's a case of there's so many more things that need to be crammed in there than just the cylinders, a fuel/air delivery system and an exhaust manifold.

Anyway someone mentioned programming and repairability as well earlier. And that is a major issue now. Stupid parts of vehicles now require coding or unlocking from the previous vehicle to adapt to a new one. I make a living bypassing a lot of these systems or finding ways to program them outside of a dealer. But the tech that was on high-end euro vehicles is now in your average shitbox and things like lights and fuse boxes which have no business needing coding or programming now do require it on everything but the most simple of vehicles. The fact is dealers do not want people repairing their own vehicles or even a 3rd party workshop doing it, and the current right to repair legislation at least here in Australia is a joke.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

Id love to learn how to fix my car but tragically cars changed from the 80s.

yes. when i brought up cars it was an analogy. for computers. which have also changed from the 80s. which is why gen z are more prone to online scams than boomers.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Earwicker posted:

yes. when i brought up cars it was an analogy. for computers. which have also changed from the 80s. which is why gen z are more prone to online scams than boomers.

this is the car thread now, your chickens have come home to roost

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why do boomers hate turn signals and seatbelts so much? Every time a boomer drives me places the car is yelling at them "PUT ON YOUR SEATBELT" and they just sit there, blissfully ignoring it while everyone in the car is seething.

Is this the 'we hate boomers' thread or a car thread because zoomers being loving stupid about computers was something everyone who knew anything about computers 100% expected, but discriminatory car chat based on age is fun

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 26, 2024

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

then they complain about how you have to take the oil somewhere afterwards. not like the good ol days. then they’ll laugh and do this anyway:

Look, the oil came from the earth, they were just putting it back like god intended!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sounds like this poster never heard of jet fuel

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

jokes posted:

Why do boomers hate turn signals and seatbelts so much? Every time a boomer drives me places the car is yelling at them "PUT ON YOUR SEATBELT" and they just sit there, blissfully ignoring it while everyone in the car is seething.

Is this the 'we hate boomers' thread or a car thread because zoomers being loving stupid about computers was something everyone who knew anything about computers 100% expected, but discriminatory car chat based on age is fun

punching up is always cool. as is ragging on boomers, because they’re terrible

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i like to refer to them as generation zed, i can tell it annoys them but not enough to say anything

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I don't blame gen z for not giving a gently caress about computers, look what it did to prior generations

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Code Jockey posted:

I don't blame gen z for not giving a gently caress about computers, look what it did to prior generations

uh made millenials loving rad? without computers, millenials wouldnt have any money, and boomers would never have been able to easily prove how dumb they are to the entire world. zoomers are going to be hosed if they have to try and maintain computer systems on their own because millenials were barely able to keep 90s poo poo running

whoever invented the PDF didnt realize they made the silver bullet to the myth that boomers are capable of learning/doing anything

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I have a 70s car that is very easy to repair and work on but I don't want to pass it on to my kid because I don't want them impaled on the steering column which is exactly what would happen on a collision of 30+ mph.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I have a 70s car that is very easy to repair and work on but I don't want to pass it on to my kid because I don't want them impaled on the steering column which is exactly what would happen on a collision of 30+ mph.

lol extremely same

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

jokes posted:

uh made millenials loving rad? without computers, millenials wouldnt have any money, and boomers would never have been able to easily prove how dumb they are to the entire world. zoomers are going to be hosed if they have to try and maintain computer systems on their own because millenials were barely able to keep 90s poo poo running

whoever invented the PDF didnt realize they made the silver bullet to the myth that boomers are capable of learning/doing anything

seems like you may have early stage boomeritis, friend. might want to go get that checked out before it gets worse

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

unfortuantely a boomeritis symptom is that im allergic to doctors :(

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

nah, just go ask some kids what it would take for them to stop bullying you

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

that's exactly my point though. older computers - the average desktop pc in the 90's - were way more amenable to owner maintenance and repair than a current iphone or tablet.

as a consequence, the younger people who use the internet know less about how the tools they use to get online work, and do zero maintenance of those tools themselves. just like a lot of people who drive now know less about how cars work.

I dunno if I agree that they were more amenable to owner maintenance and repair. It could hit levels of complication you’d never see now.

I think it’s that they were much needier. poo poo would break more or the weaker hardware meant you were dicking around with drivers/boot discs/under the hood settings more so you developed a familiarity with “if x then y” and seeing what inputs led to what outputs. You had less information delivered a lot of the time so repairs or tweaks were more experimental and the lack of internet tutorials also meant you had to learn a lot of the troubleshooting skills yourself. I haven’t really seen anything that wasn’t user repairable on current computers, just less poo poo that I had to repair.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

gonna raise my children on freebsd to save them from this weakness

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

we are a linux household, if you have a problem with that then open the terminal and simply enter a few lines of commands to send me an email

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
When I was a kid I killed a friend's motherboard by putting a floppy drive cable in upside down.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I haven’t really seen anything that wasn’t user repairable on current computers, just less poo poo that I had to repair.

"current computers" includes smartphones and tablets, which are what the majority of younger people use to get online in their daily lives, and which are absolutely not user repairable. you instantly void the warranty if you even open it up.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Earwicker posted:

"current computers" includes smartphones and tablets, which are what the majority of younger people use to get online in their daily lives, and which are absolutely not user repairable. you instantly void the warranty if you even open it up.

if you live in the USA those stickers are lies

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the reason a young person might be more prone to getting scammed is because they haven't fallen for any before. They're no different today from any prior generation. When a child scrapes their knee and cries, it's because it is literally the worst thing that has ever happened to them and they're gaining a new perspective.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 26, 2024

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

CJacobs posted:

I think the reason a young person might be more prone to getting scammed is because they haven't fallen for any before. They're no different today from any prior generation. When a child scrapes their knee and cries, it's because it is literally the worst thing that has ever happened to them and they're gaining a new perspective.
fool me once? shame on you. fool me twice? you can't get fooled again.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 26, 2024

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

fool me once? shame on you. fool me twice? you can't get fooled again.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fool me three time, gently caress the peace sign, load the chopper and let it rain on you

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I've had to teach Gen z. They are extremely bad at computers. They don't know how to use google to find out an answer when something stops working. They just give up.
I suspect it has something to do with most modern technology just working out of the box. They never had the experience of loving around with your computer settings to get something like a game to stop crashing.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 30 days!)

aren't gen z those teens?

man, they're stupid. they've only had like, 16-20 years of life experience. i've got way more than that. they run around with their tiktoks and snapchats and i say look man, how many times have you tried and failed to finish das kapital? only once? come on.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Hell Gem

roomtone posted:

man, they're stupid. they've only had like, 16-20 years of life experience. i've got way more than that. they run around with their tiktoks and snapchats and i say look man, how many times have you tried and failed to finish das kapital? only once? come on.

Gen Z are like almost 30 now.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

numberoneposter posted:

GTR's and Cookie Jars

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

an honored warrior

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
One of my first experiences of online trolling was joining some goons in an online mmp browser based game, some light rpg thing.

In the game was a public chat bar and the learned goon I was playing with typed six asterisks into the chat then added “oh cool it hides your password when you type it into chat”
Cue several usernames and passwords appearing in chat suddenly as people tried the trick.

I’m sure that sorta thing is old hat these days but this was 20 years ago so I’m not sure much has actually changed. My eyes were opened that day. To a new way to loot.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Earwicker posted:

the first time i ever watched an internet video (a 40-second news clip of a beached whale being exploded with dynamite) i had to download it in 82 seperate parts from usenet and then assemble them. it took hours.

haha was that the one on the Oregon coast

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fanelien posted:

A major problem with modern vehicles is the sheer amount of garbage that is bolted onto the engine for emissions, and now we're relying on turbos and mild hybrid systems/stop-start systems for extra efficiency all of which take up a sizeable part of the engine bay. Alternators are bigger than they used to be, as are radiators and HVAC heat exchangers, all automatic transmissions now have some form of cooling in the engine bay too. It's not just wanting to save a buck on engine bay space it's a case of there's so many more things that need to be crammed in there than just the cylinders, a fuel/air delivery system and an exhaust manifold.

Anyway someone mentioned programming and repairability as well earlier. And that is a major issue now. Stupid parts of vehicles now require coding or unlocking from the previous vehicle to adapt to a new one. I make a living bypassing a lot of these systems or finding ways to program them outside of a dealer. But the tech that was on high-end euro vehicles is now in your average shitbox and things like lights and fuse boxes which have no business needing coding or programming now do require it on everything but the most simple of vehicles. The fact is dealers do not want people repairing their own vehicles or even a 3rd party workshop doing it, and the current right to repair legislation at least here in Australia is a joke.

My car got fried by the EMP blast and all I got was super ripped legs from walking the fury road

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cabal Ties posted:

One of my first experiences of online trolling was joining some goons in an online mmp browser based game, some light rpg thing.

In the game was a public chat bar and the learned goon I was playing with typed six asterisks into the chat then added “oh cool it hides your password when you type it into chat”
Cue several usernames and passwords appearing in chat suddenly as people tried the trick.

I’m sure that sorta thing is old hat these days but this was 20 years ago so I’m not sure much has actually changed. My eyes were opened that day. To a new way to loot.

social engineering works!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

roomtone posted:

Gen Z is about to be older than millennials, and are about to start talking poo poo and voting Republican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

everybody younger, older, dumber, and smarter than me should be banned