Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ape Fist posted:

On one hand I do pine for The Internet of 2007 I'm not gonna lie. I absolutely think Zuck starting the trend (and he actually did start it) of making peoples real lives, and real names be the focal point of the online lives rather than Aliases and Interests was an absolutely incredible mistake for the internet from a cultural and social perspective, but it was all in the interest is business and accountability. I don't like the way "Online" and "Offline" have effectively merged seemlessly and I don't think thats some sort of insane boomer take.

While that definitely doesn't help, I posit that nothing is gonna get fixed until we get rid of the real disease of today's internet: The attention economy.

It needs to become economically unviable to SEO yourself into some niche of interest and vomit ads (and affiliate fraud) all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

online scams are actually world leading in UX design because they have to be accessible to the dumbest possible people, so modern internet UX has actually been reverse engineered from scammer technology

Unironically this. The line between scam and :airquote:accepted:airquote: web practices is fuzzy as all hell. It's not a novel example at this point, but the myriad of subtle and blatant hoops websites jump through to fool people into accepting tracking cookies is a sight to behold.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Earwicker posted:

i strongly suspect that a much larger percentage of boomers know how to fix cars than millenials. but most millenials still drive cars, and are surrounded by cars all the time.

I used to agree with that sentiment, and you definitely have a point when it comes to troubleshooting and configuration. But I've run into enough Gen Z workers doing the digital equivalent of going "Wait, there's a button to make the bar things wipe water off my windshield?!?" to stop empathizing.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 25, 2024