Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

that's exactly my point though. older computers - the average desktop pc in the 90's - were way more amenable to owner maintenance and repair than a current iphone or tablet.

as a consequence, the younger people who use the internet know less about how the tools they use to get online work, and do zero maintenance of those tools themselves. just like a lot of people who drive now know less about how cars work.

I dunno if I agree that they were more amenable to owner maintenance and repair. It could hit levels of complication you’d never see now.

I think it’s that they were much needier. poo poo would break more or the weaker hardware meant you were dicking around with drivers/boot discs/under the hood settings more so you developed a familiarity with “if x then y” and seeing what inputs led to what outputs. You had less information delivered a lot of the time so repairs or tweaks were more experimental and the lack of internet tutorials also meant you had to learn a lot of the troubleshooting skills yourself. I haven’t really seen anything that wasn’t user repairable on current computers, just less poo poo that I had to repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU