Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Haven't there been several articles linked on these here forums talking about the general technical comprehension of Gen Z being pretty awful despite being constantly surrounded by technology? I swear there's been like a half dozen of various ones posted.

Anyway the conclusion was usually that millennials are forever the computer touchers and janitors. There is no escape.

My two fun anecdotes is, first, a couple nieces and nephews scoffing at me (like age 12-14 I think) that they know about computers and stuff but then got mad when I pointed out that locking their iPad is not the same as actually restarting it. But that's kids lol

The second is I have known several people who worked happily in IT for years, and in the last 5-10 all just decided to cut most of their tech use, nuke all forms of social media, and then move out rural or to the mountains. Given the shitshow that is the internet becoming just social media and how bad that is I wonder if they were on to something :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like how people are equating "not great at cybersecurity typically due to choosing convenience over security" as "being called dumber than millennials (and their honour must be defended)" instead of an interesting phenomena. Like sure, some posters might be saying that but when studies are done the numbers show a specific trend and that isn't a manufactured slight.

Bringing up cars is a decent analogy for once, because, like cars, computers and technology has been gradually abstracted and isolated from wanting end users or casual consumers modifying or repairing anything they have access to. Have you tried replacing a phone battery on a phone designed to look good and deliberately not be able to have it replaced?

There's similar articles and studies done about the result of abstracting to higher levels, and discouraging people from touching low level (god forbid bare metal) systems and how that does seem to be having an impact on younger people's overall technical comprehension, even amongst compsi students. And it makes a lot of sense that it would happen.

This doesn't mean (necessarily, I can't speak for every potential dumbdumb) that any of them are idiots, but it does definitely pose big questions about future capability to sustain infrastructure and even whether the basics of how computer education is taught need to be revised, because we're long past the point of someone being about to gently caress around with system files and see what it does.

Anyway, to go back on topic, millennials rule, zoomers drool.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

TrashMammal posted:

yes, it’s super easy. they do it at kiosks in the mall

Yeah exactly, the solution is to pay others to do it.