Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
http://www.vox.com/technology/23882304/gen-z-vs-boomers-scams-hacks/

I had to teach a new hire at work how to copy paste stuff in Windows and this totally makes sense, these kids never got to experience the wild west that the internet was for us millennials. :sterv:

Downloading my first virus from limewire or kazaa age really set in stone that the internet isn't to be trusted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Earwicker posted:

yes but this same thing applies with computers

like, i'm in no sense a computer scientist or engineer, but when i was a teenager i knew enough stuff to install a new operating system or to upgrade a sound or graphics card, or how to hook up a modem, how to troubleshoot and solve various issues

but a modern teenager getting online through an iphone has no comparable way to learn how to open the thing up and mess around with it. nor do they have any need to do so since it already does what they want with little to no effort

My crowning achievements as a 9 year old with a new 1998 PC was learning how to apply cracks from the grey market ripped games I made my parents buy, and getting the Voodoo 2 card driver finally working. Got dang did glide look sick!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

I like how people are equating "not great at cybersecurity typically due to choosing convenience over security" as "being called dumber than millennials (and their honour must be defended)" instead of an interesting phenomena. Like sure, some posters might be saying that but when studies are done the numbers show a specific trend and that isn't a manufactured slight.

Bringing up cars is a decent analogy for once, because, like cars, computers and technology has been gradually abstracted and isolated from wanting end users or casual consumers modifying or repairing anything they have access to. Have you tried replacing a phone battery on a phone designed to look good and deliberately not be able to have it replaced?

There's similar articles and studies done about the result of abstracting to higher levels, and discouraging people from touching low level (god forbid bare metal) systems and how that does seem to be having an impact on younger people's overall technical comprehension, even amongst compsi students. And it makes a lot of sense that it would happen.

This doesn't mean (necessarily, I can't speak for every potential dumbdumb) that any of them are idiots, but it does definitely pose big questions about future capability to sustain infrastructure and even whether the basics of how computer education is taught need to be revised, because we're long past the point of someone being about to gently caress around with system files and see what it does.

Anyway, to go back on topic, millennials rule, zoomers drool.

Ngl the copy-paste-not-knower hire I had to teach basic windows commands was a very quick learner

Maybe a big fortnite or Minecraft breach/hack is all we need to wake these thumb callused touchscreen scrollers up??