Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

what are we in now? the robber baron days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

AKA Pseudonym posted:

There's a chunk of Gen Z that's still young enough to fall for "got your nose" so this isn't all that surprising

pretty sad to still be falling for that at the age of 12

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

zoomers’ disadvantage is that they didn’t spend their entire youth solving computer problems for narcissistic old people who feign ignorance and catastrophize the complexity of computer touching as a means of sheltering their egos from injury. like those kids who have a million allergies because they never rolled around in the dirt

nothing to look down on there at all. something to celebrate, really

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Ape Fist posted:

I don't think they should, I think UX design is a really important field, and it has made the internet accessible to hundreds, perhaps billions of really stupid people. If the internet was "much harder to use these days" it would continue to be populated by obtuse vBulletin Forums and Imageboards and search engines which required metatags in the html to index.

harder in the sense that a couple decades of ux practitioners have created a web wherein everything is a scam. hth

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

juggalo baby coffin posted:

online scams are actually world leading in UX design because they have to be accessible to the dumbest possible people, so modern internet UX has actually been reverse engineered from scammer technology

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

hci is still cool though

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

plus teenagers be horny

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bum the Sad posted:

that game is for children, it should be Ultima Online. That built character.

:haibrow:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

XYZAB posted:

i want to use metacrawler again. i think having an actually useful and efficient search engine again that can find whatever stupid bullshit you’re looking for instantly without being a shell to serve ad links alone would be revolutionary.

there’s kagi, but you gotta pay for it

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Earwicker posted:

i strongly suspect that a much larger percentage of boomers know how to fix cars than millenials. but most millenials still drive cars, and are surrounded by cars all the time.

nah, you put ‘em in front of any model later than the year 2000 and they start sweating and swearing about how everything new is garbage made by communists. not like the good ol days :argh:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

then they complain about how you have to take the oil somewhere afterwards. not like the good ol days. then they’ll laugh and do this anyway:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

it’s a real “if you give a mouse a cookie” scenario, except it’s “if you give a boomer a reason to complain and pollute”

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

NoiseAnnoys posted:

the easiest marks are people who think they are too smart to scam so no wonder boomers, zoomers, and goons of all ages fall victim to the easiest grifts.

how many years did goons spend subsidizing lowtax’s cookie habit?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I always hear people talk about how everyone should know how to change their own brakes, it's so easy and cheap! All you need is to watch a few Youtube videos, a lugnut wrench, socket set, clamps, torque wrench, ramps or a jack and jack stands and then you too can have the pleasure of crawling around under your car for two hours trying to figure out how to change the most important piece of safety equipment on your car.

gotta own a driveway to do all that in too

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

naem posted:

one of my first professional office jobs:

a person near retirement age typed numbers into a spreadsheet, and then printed pages they handed me

my job was to walk across the building and scan those pages, and email them as a pdf to a second person.

that second person then printed those pdf’s, and typed those numbers into another, different spreadsheet. they had a little stand for the paper pages they printed to type from like it was 19-dickie-two

these two people sat next to each other. neither had any idea what the other did or where the numbers came from.

neither of them understood what a pdf was, like, the concept of a file format was, not a thing.

“you do all the computer work while I do the important stuff” they’d both say to me, separately, as I handed them pages and emailed the same pieces of scanned paper several times a day

they’d been hiring “assistants” and giving them entry level job titles for decades, giving dozens of millennial aged people work experience, treating them like idiots, and being surprised we all quit with work exp on the resume

the kids will never know this horror and that is a good thing

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

jokes posted:

Why do boomers hate turn signals and seatbelts so much? Every time a boomer drives me places the car is yelling at them "PUT ON YOUR SEATBELT" and they just sit there, blissfully ignoring it while everyone in the car is seething.

Is this the 'we hate boomers' thread or a car thread because zoomers being loving stupid about computers was something everyone who knew anything about computers 100% expected, but discriminatory car chat based on age is fun

punching up is always cool. as is ragging on boomers, because they’re terrible

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

jokes posted:

uh made millenials loving rad? without computers, millenials wouldnt have any money, and boomers would never have been able to easily prove how dumb they are to the entire world. zoomers are going to be hosed if they have to try and maintain computer systems on their own because millenials were barely able to keep 90s poo poo running

whoever invented the PDF didnt realize they made the silver bullet to the myth that boomers are capable of learning/doing anything

seems like you may have early stage boomeritis, friend. might want to go get that checked out before it gets worse

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

nah, just go ask some kids what it would take for them to stop bullying you

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

gonna raise my children on freebsd to save them from this weakness

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Earwicker posted:

"current computers" includes smartphones and tablets, which are what the majority of younger people use to get online in their daily lives, and which are absolutely not user repairable. you instantly void the warranty if you even open it up.

if you live in the USA those stickers are lies

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

syntaxfunction posted:

Have you tried replacing a phone battery on phone designed to look good and deliberately not be able to have it replaced?

yes, it’s super easy. they do it at kiosks in the mall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah exactly, the solution is to pay others to do it.

or you just use a heat gun