Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Oh come on, that doesn't sound nuts, just incredibly whiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m not even American (though I live here) and I kinda thought the same. It never seemed sincere. For me it felt like he was doing this as a gig and he’s not hurting for America the way Stewart did. Stewart’s overt patriotism I think makes his outrage feel more real.

That said John Oliver and Samantha Bee have (or had) perfectly good shows that were sometimes better than The Daily Show so I dunno. Those shows take themselves more seriously so maybe there’s a kinda analytical lens that doesn’t feel as performative.

It’s also possible I’m just racist in a very non-self-aware way :shrug:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

It’s also possible I’m just racist in a very non-self-aware way :shrug:

You already said you weren't American, which means you are not enlightened. :colbert:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

cumpantry posted:

if you write something like that it's time to take a fifteen

fifteen more edibles maybe

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you've ever pointed out the flaws of a other country or made fun of how they do things then yeah, it's just hypocrisy to act like it's mean if an "outsider" does it to America.

And from being a non American online and having to listen to constant criticism about how things are different from America you'd think you'd have gotten thicker skin by now.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

We’re a thin-skinned people, it’s a part of our national character, we try and cultivate it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The bits where Trevor Noah riffed on being from south africa and SA vs USA were some of the funniest bits I saw from his stuff on TDS.

Like, Noah wasn't great, but neither was late-era Stewart IMO. I'd pretty much stopped watching before he left.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Didn't Stewart have so much clout by the time he left he basically got to anoint his successor without corporate veto? He just... really liked Trevor Noah.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
A non-US comedian could totally bring the visceral voice and commentary but fwiw I never really saw that from Trevor Noah. His stuff definitely felt more Late Show than Daily Show

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Klyith posted:

The bits where Trevor Noah riffed on being from south africa and SA vs USA were some of the funniest bits I saw from his stuff on TDS.

Like, Noah wasn't great, but neither was late-era Stewart IMO. I'd pretty much stopped watching before he left.

lol remember his take on south african strikers

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I felt like Stewart had a hard time keeping pace with Zanny Minton Beddoes in her recent appearance. Then again, shes the Editor-in-Chief of The Economist and I doubt I could do much better.

Stewart's thing about the right pushing a "New World Order" seemed to puzzle her a bit although she readily admit that they were a shift away if even a threat to establishment conservatism.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Les Os posted:

A non-US comedian could totally bring the visceral voice and commentary but fwiw I never really saw that from Trevor Noah. His stuff definitely felt more Late Show than Daily Show

Jim Jefferies kinda had it, but who the gently caress watched his show

I don’t even know what network it was on, I only know about it from random internet clips

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Les Os posted:

There was nothing aggressive in his commentary at all, seems a lovely guy though. But his delivery was very "can't we all just get along, this is all very good natured folks" mixed with Jerry Seinfeld. You need a bit more aggression and outrage if you're commenting on real dangers in the world instead of just saying "there goes the neighbourhood!".

I feel like at least one of Stewarts former correspondents should just jumpscare in with a cameo segment and a bit of a roast. It'd be awkward if they were there all the time like a high school reunion, but just once it could be pulled off very well. As long as it isn't colbert. :colbert:

e: They could do it with Oliver and then pan out to reveal his lavish HBO set, but I'm just writing sad fan fiction know.

wit fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 20, 2024

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Success

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Perfectly appropriate for use in casual conversation

edit: yeah i looked it up it says only pedantic autists care about it. It's ok, I'm a pedantic autist, I can say it. Seriously, I am, and if that doesn't give me the right to say it then I don't know what does. Don't probe me is what I'm saying.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 20, 2024

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

wit posted:

There was nothing aggressive in his commentary at all, seems a lovely guy though. But his delivery was very "can't we all just get along, this is all very good natured folks" mixed with Jerry Seinfeld. You need a bit more aggression and outrage if you're commenting on real dangers in the world instead of just saying "there goes the neighbourhood!".

the whole tomi lahren situation was a perfect example of that, he was pretty obviously trying to show that compromise is possible and the hate between both sides is not helping, but IMO it resulted more in just undermining Noah and making him look gullible and overly credulous.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I have an irrational and completely unfair dislike of John Oliver. I want to give him a swirly and put him in a double jock lock while I call him Bubble and Squeak and he cries and all the cute girls in the sorority laugh at him so he cries some more.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Poohs Packin posted:

I felt like Stewart had a hard time keeping pace with Zanny Minton Beddoes in her recent appearance. Then again, shes the Editor-in-Chief of The Economist and I doubt I could do much better.

Stewart's thing about the right pushing a "New World Order" seemed to puzzle her a bit although she readily admit that they were a shift away if even a threat to establishment conservatism.

He rolled over for her, it was pretty disappointing. She was able to act as though Establishment Conservatism has any real difference from Trumpism, when in truth the only difference is just aesthetics. We saw this exact same thing happen with the Tea Party.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Didn't Stewart have so much clout by the time he left he basically got to anoint his successor without corporate veto? He just... really liked Trevor Noah.

Trevor must have been non-union

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I have an irrational and completely unfair dislike of John Oliver. I want to give him a swirly and put him in a double jock lock while I call him Bubble and Squeak and he cries and all the cute girls in the sorority laugh at him so he cries some more.

I used to get this feeling until just recently when I saw him on Hot Ones and realized he's kinda doing a character when he's doing his show.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

thin blue whine posted:

I used to get this feeling until just recently when I saw him on Hot Ones and realized he's kinda doing a character when he's doing his show.

I see. Well, then, I just want to do those things to his character.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

There should be a rule against being British, I swear. *spits*

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I want to make it very clear that while I do not find Trevor Noah funny, I do not wish violence upon him or anyone else.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, it's true, but that's why I find his character funny.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I want to make it very clear that while I do not find Trevor Noah funny, I do not wish violence upon him or anyone else.

perhaps telling a comedian that he's not funny, is the worst violence of them all :smithfrog:

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Oliver had one of the best Daily Show bits where he confused Occupy Wallstreet with the St Patricks Day parade

TOOO BIG TO FAAAAAAIL. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

https://www.cc.com/video/mduuhj/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-rage-in-the-streets

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I never read anything about him having a say in his replacement. It was reported a long time ago that comedy central went down a long list of potential hosts and they all said no. Trevor noah was like, fifth or sixth in line.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

I see. Well, then, I just want to do those things to his character.

john oliver, crying in a locker

"i'm doing this to your character John. i wouldn't be doing this if you weren't so good at it."

wit
Jul 26, 2011
2 for 2 episodes now jon stewart has become the news for saying a thing on his comedy show segment. At this point MSNBC is just doing react videos.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

thin blue whine posted:

A dim bulb brightens

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

wit posted:

2 for 2 episodes now jon stewart has become the news for saying a thing on his comedy show segment. At this point MSNBC is just doing react videos.

not at all concerning

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

wit posted:

On one hand, he is the news because it is a famous person doing a beloved thing

On the other hand, the self-pitying “all I did was ask questions, how dare you demand I only speak the Accepted Truth” routine he did on Monday was fuckin’ pathetic and he is being purposely obtuse about what people were saying in complaint about his first ep back

And I get it, I also am not thrilled that our two options are old fucks, but if you start undermining Biden now when Biden’s popularity is already taking a lot of hits, you are helping to either depress dem turnout or increase repub turnout, neither of which is good when Trump is promising to make the US into Gilead if he wins

I take the flak for complaining about Biden as well, but you gotta know it’s coming.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

jon stewatr is going to single handedly get trump elected AGAIN

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yep, pointing out our dinosaur president’s mush brain is simply going too far

jon stewart has lost the plot i’m afraid

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Did Jon Stewart ever attack Dems back in the day? I kinda don’t recall that at all. The softest jabs, maybe.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

rotinaj posted:

And I get it, I also am not thrilled that our two options are old fucks, but if you start undermining Biden now when Biden’s popularity is already taking a lot of hits, you are helping to either depress dem turnout or increase repub turnout, neither of which is good when Trump is promising to make the US into Gilead if he wins

youre right. he needs to shut the gently caress up before it's too late..

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
John Stewart EVISCERATES Donald Trump in EPIC TAKEDOWN

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

yep, pointing out our dinosaur president’s mush brain is simply going too far

jon stewart has lost the plot i’m afraid

Why do y’all love to do this thing where you dunk on a point that the post did not make

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

rotinaj posted:

but if you start undermining Biden now when Biden’s popularity is already taking a lot of hits, you are helping to either depress dem turnout or increase repub turnout

...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I did not accuse Jon Stewart of either going too far or losing the plot, I said that he is doing something he is going to get pushback for

Especially since I agree with him about the points he made on his first episode, but the “how dare anyone be upset at me” routine he did in episode two is fuckin’ pathetic

You criticized the dem, the dem tankies will respond. Ignore it, and move on