Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

rotinaj posted:

I did not accuse Jon Stewart of either going too far or losing the plot, I said that he is doing something he is going to get pushback for

Especially since I agree with him about the points he made on his first episode, but the “how dare anyone be upset at me” routine he did in episode two is fuckin’ pathetic

You criticized the dem, the dem tankies will respond. Ignore it, and move on

that definitely didn't come across as the point you were trying to make though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Vegetable posted:

Did Jon Stewart ever attack Dems back in the day? I kinda don’t recall that at all. The softest jabs, maybe.

no he did not, even once, but unfortunately he has now unleashed his Dark Leibowitz persona, and nothing will stand between him and a trump landslide in 2024

it’s true what they say, die a hero or live long enough to become the villain

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimlit posted:

that definitely didn't come across as the point you were trying to make though

Fair, I am trying to distract myself from my soon to come company closure and layoff and could have structured my point better

While the blue maga dems have a point that the continued emphasis of how old and feeble Biden is when Trump is literally just as feeble if not worse is not helping, boy howdy do I wish they had not coalesced behind Biden as the only hope against Trump

Having any other option here would be great

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I have nothing against Noah, but he had too flat of a delivery. Stewart, and to some extent, Oliver can display a wide range of emotions to accentuate their jokes and points. Noah didn't show their range of delivery.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Vegetable posted:

Did Jon Stewart ever attack Dems back in the day? I kinda don’t recall that at all. The softest jabs, maybe.

i remember he skewered obama pretty regularly

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I didn't really care about the Tucker Carlson bit or the lawyer podcasters this week. Jon is good at mugging into the camera until the audience laughs.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

rotinaj posted:

Trump is literally just as feeble if not worse

Doesn't feel that way to me tbh

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Doesn't feel that way to me tbh

The guy who regularly thinks he's running against Obamna?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

The guy who regularly thinks he's running against Obamna?

dont you see he was being facetious because *faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrt*

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Yes. It was just less noticable because american politics wasn't a pretend battle of good and evil each and every election time. And people didnt scream on the internet and have it reported on news as "people say". It was a time of disenfranchisement for shit_poop999, its only been recently we caught up.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

rotinaj posted:

On one hand, he is the news because it is a famous person doing a beloved thing

On the other hand, the self-pitying “all I did was ask questions, how dare you demand I only speak the Accepted Truth” routine he did on Monday was fuckin’ pathetic and he is being purposely obtuse about what people were saying in complaint about his first ep back

And I get it, I also am not thrilled that our two options are old fucks, but if you start undermining Biden now when Biden’s popularity is already taking a lot of hits, you are helping to either depress dem turnout or increase repub turnout, neither of which is good when Trump is promising to make the US into Gilead if he wins

I take the flak for complaining about Biden as well, but you gotta know it’s coming.

You gotta hand it to him

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vegetable posted:

"Biden is loving old" is a pretty soft jab though!

In fact, you might even say it is not a jab at all, but a simple unvarnished observation that the man is older than any previous president.

Junk posted:

i remember he skewered obama pretty regularly

yeah but pretty ineffectively, because obama was smart enough to put a few months between promising to do something like stop bombing weddings and the order to increase drone strikes by 50%. obama was smart enough to play stewart.

TDS did more making fun of Dems during the Clinton-Bernie kerfluffle because that was an easy comedy target.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 21, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

rotinaj posted:

Fair, I am trying to distract myself from my soon to come company closure and layoff and could have structured my point better

While the blue maga dems have a point that the continued emphasis of how old and feeble Biden is when Trump is literally just as feeble if not worse is not helping, boy howdy do I wish they had not coalesced behind Biden as the only hope against Trump

Having any other option here would be great

But remember Biden is and always was the ONLY candidate who can beat Trump

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But remember Biden is and always was the ONLY candidate who can beat Trump

This poo poo drove me crazy. I'm not going to say he was my last pick in 2020, because Bloomberg was in the race, but drat he was close. But I don't live in an early primary state, so my vote doesn't matter.

Democracy!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol the most pivotal internal political moment for the United States since the Civil War boiled down to two old men calling each other idiots

wit
Jul 26, 2011

rotinaj posted:

On the other hand, the self-pitying “all I did was ask questions, how dare you demand I only speak the Accepted Truth” routine he did on Monday was fuckin’ pathetic and he is being purposely obtuse about what people were saying in complaint about his first ep back

routine. it is a routine. he's always done that. You could replace all his words with cereal packet ingredients and its still him. This is as silly as asking john oliver to go score some three pointers. I get its a relic and old comedy seems new and poo poo, but it is not. It is us what are poo poo and new. And if you think about it, wasn't there a little new poo poo in you all along?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Vegetable posted:

It depended how close it was to an election iirc.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

rotinaj posted:

I did not accuse Jon Stewart of either going too far or losing the plot, I said that he is doing something he is going to get pushback for

Especially since I agree with him about the points he made on his first episode, but the “how dare anyone be upset at me” routine he did in episode two is fuckin’ pathetic

You criticized the dem, the dem tankies will respond. Ignore it, and move on

Any organization that can’t take legitimate criticisms deserves to be further ridiculed.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Any organization that can’t take legitimate criticisms deserves to be further ridiculed.

Honestly people who try to paint is as "Jon Stewart said 'both sides are the same'" are loving idiots because that's not at all what he said. His point -- which was crystal clear if you're not drinking the loving rage koolaid -- was "we should be able to do better than two senile old men as choices; but that's what we've got -- but loving hell Trump is a horrible person".

This loving "toe the line and never say anything bad about our side's candidate" poo poo is toxic. It's toxic when the right does it and we're more than happy to point that out; but it's also sure as gently caress toxic when the left does it too.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
this show on comedy central sure is important to our future. gently caress.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Radio Nowhere posted:

this show on comedy central sure is important to our future. gently caress.

unironically

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Because of how much time we have devote to Neo-Monarchists crossed with an obsession to celebrity gossip, the creation of the office of president was a bigger mistake than anime.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

biznatchio posted:

Honestly people who try to paint is as "Jon Stewart said 'both sides are the same'" are loving idiots because that's not at all what he said. His point -- which was crystal clear if you're not drinking the loving rage koolaid -- was "we should be able to do better than two senile old men as choices; but that's what we've got -- but loving hell Trump is a horrible person".

This loving "toe the line and never say anything bad about our side's candidate" poo poo is toxic. It's toxic when the right does it and we're more than happy to point that out; but it's also sure as gently caress toxic when the left does it too.

This is what I’ve been trying to put into words. Which is my way of not empty quoting.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Imagine Ben Franklin discovering anime.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

Lol the most pivotal internal political moment for the United States since the Civil War boiled down to two old men calling each other idiots

I have no idea what this is in reference to, so I'm curious which political moment you've crowned as the most pivotal.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

biznatchio posted:

To add to that he also had a message of "we got here by good people not being engaged enough in politics" to specifically make sure he didn't make Dem votors apathetic. He's got all his bases covered (to trick us into believing he isn't trying to get Trump reelected).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Imagine Ben Franklin discovering anime.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

good lord ya’ll, a comedian reading the news is neither going to doom or save the world

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

actually zelensky is the jon stewart of ukraine and he’s doing exactly that, saving or dooming depending on which thread you read of course

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

actually zelensky is the jon stewart of ukraine and he’s doing exactly that, saving or dooming depending on which thread you read

maybe comedy can be praxis after all

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

good lord ya’ll, a comedian reading the news is neither going to doom or save the world

jon Stewart will be responsible for nuclear armageddon via trumps coronation and he will answer for his crimes in hell for eternity

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yep he’ll be up to his ears in comedy sulfur

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I have no idea what this is in reference to, so I'm curious which political moment you've crowned as the most pivotal.

Literally what they were talking about in the previous post. The decision of who to run against Trump. This isn’t hard. The Democrats hosed up in their choice of candidate, even if he won that one time. He sucks.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 22, 2024

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

how dare a comedian make old man jokes, hasn't he read all the dem op-eds that said wallstreet is doing great and there's nothing to complain about???

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

forget trump, jon stewart’s meddling will hit closer to home. he will be personally responsible for another 4 years of nom epique threads when biden loses.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

forget trump, jon stewart’s meddling will hit closer to home. he will be personally responsible for another 4 years of nom epique threads when biden loses.

gently caress......

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

yep he’ll be up to his ears in comedy sulfur

as an unbaptized sort who has at least done some good in the world he’s getting limbo at worst. chilling with the classics for all eternity

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bad Purchase posted:

:yeshaha:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Because of how much time we have devote to Neo-Monarchists crossed with an obsession to celebrity gossip, the creation of the office of president was a bigger mistake than anime.

lot to unpack from a single sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

ninjoatse.cx posted:

lot to unpack from a single sentence

don’t do that, it’s bad news, like reading the necronomicon or installing extra eyes in your brain