Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lmao

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Shinjobi posted:

I dont care put Craig Ferguson back on tv

:hellyeah:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bradzilla posted:

epic adtrw guy: now's my chance! yes!!!

Waiting for the Arbys aficionados to be drawn to the thread like a moth to flame

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That guy from MTV back in the day?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm glad Jon Stewart is coming back and I wish he never left the Daily Show at all. His commentary during Trump would've been legendary if he stayed.

I was kinda dumbfounded when 60 Minutes interviewed Trevor Noah and it turned out Stewart had hand-picked him to be his replacement. Like what the gently caress man, the Daily Show needs a second Jon Stewart to host it, not whatever unfunny poo poo Trevor Noah is.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 24, 2024

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Which one is Trevor Noah

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you think itll suck and hell crater his reputation and well all owe adtrw person a big apology? id say theres at least a coinflips chance

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

John Poosquirt

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lmao I'm glad I made that fool melt down.

Very funny.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

rear end-penny posted:

I remember the first time he took the helm of The Daily Show I didn't know who he was and I didn't think he was going to do as good a job as the previous host. Now I don't even remember who originally hosted the show. I also don't really watch anymore, but I hope he is returning because he wants to, and not because he wasn't able to make enough money doing his own projects.

Wasn't it Craig Kilborn and they had the exploding head animation where they would ask the guest like 5 really weird questions?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

White Light posted:

He quit just before the USA went down an eight year hellhole and sat on an HBO deal doing gently caress-all during the roughest part of the storm, that's one valid reason :shrug:

How dare a TV show host on a comedy network ABANDON the nation, just before our time of need? What kind of comedian doesn't take over as president to save the nation, after doing a stint as a funny joke guy? It's absolutely his job!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

caleb posted:

Wasn't it Craig Kilborn and they had the exploding head animation where they would ask the guest like 5 really weird questions?

I don't think the original host had guests at all. The Daily Show didn't start having guests until some time around the very late 90s/early 2000s. In fact I remember watching the very first episode where they had a guest, as well as a bunch of eps from before that.

Unless they had guests before that and just stopped doing it for awhile when Jon took over.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 24, 2024

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
It was Short Attention Span Theater before becoming TDS with Craig Killborn. It was generalized current events type stuff iirc before it got more politically oriented when Stewart came on.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

When you think about it maybe it's Jimmy Fallon's fault for Trump winning????

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Somewhere Tucker Carlson did the sickos ha ha yes thing and he doesnt know why

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Saalkin posted:

When you think about it maybe it's Jimmy Fallon's fault for Trump winning????

Actually I've read it was 4chan's fault and by extension the fault of the somethingawful dot com forums.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Wait, people still watch tv?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Kilborn asked guests 5 questions. For some reason I always remember him asking Mike Myers "Canada, what went wrong?"

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah I mean I'm glad but I'm not buying cable to watch 1 episode a week. Maybe someone will post a Monday night torrent or something each week

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Powerful Katrinka posted:

How dare a TV show host on a comedy network ABANDON the nation, just before our time of need? What kind of comedian doesn't take over as president to save the nation, after doing a stint as a funny joke guy? It's absolutely his job!

To be fair, the Daily Show under Jon Stewart had a pretty loving huge cultural impact on America and I'd even go so far as to say that Trump might've lost in 2016 had Stewart stuck around through the election. Hell if he was around in 2020 he could've significantly helped reshape the national discourse on COVID, or at least curbed a big chunk of the hoax/antivax poo poo for a few months longer (although a timeline where Trump wasn't president would beg the question of would we still have had to deal with COVID at all).

EDIT: To clarify, I'm NOT blaming Jon Stewart for Trump or COVID or anything like that. I'm just saying things might've happened a little bit differently had Stewart stayed on the show, since he had a pretty big presence. Maybe Trump still would've won anyway, who knows. :shrug:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 24, 2024

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
Please explain how the president could have spared us from dealing with coronavirus, I am legitimately curious and nonconfrontational about that statement.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

trump did hillary a solid, she doesn't have to be forever known as the president who bungled the covid response, what a guy

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol @ blaming jon stewart for trump, covid, etc.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

if jon stewart was still on the air my wife never would have left me! gently caress him!!!!!!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

jon stewart didn't even stop 9/11, in fact, some lay the blame at his feet and not without good reason

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

moist banana bread posted:

Please explain how the president could have spared us from dealing with coronavirus, I am legitimately curious and nonconfrontational about that statement.

Donald Trump, PhD invented COVID-19 to own the libs.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It was Short Attention Span Theater before becoming TDS with Craig Killborn. It was generalized current events type stuff iirc before it got more politically oriented when Stewart came on.

Yeah it used to be way more of a current events show, although it stayed that way for awhile after Stewart took over. The shift over to politics didn't really start until Bush got elected and 9/11 happened, iirc.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

moist banana bread posted:

Sorry, I worded that badly. We still would've had to deal with COVID; we just probably wouldn't have hosed up the response as bad if literally anyone besides Trump was in charge.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 24, 2024

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Bad Purchase posted:

jon stewart didn't even stop 9/11, in fact, some lay the blame at his feet and not without good reason

why do you think he's trying so hard to fix it?!?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

White Light posted:

Nah, definitely wasn't just me, gently caress off you filthy animals :jerkbag:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This just doesn't make any loving sense at all. Jon Stewart announced and retired from The Daily Show before Trump even announced he was running for president.

But sure, lets blame Jon Stewart because who else do we have to blame?

One of the most deserved probations in all of the leper colony IMO.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Big think dot com

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

White Light posted:

Nah, definitely wasn't just me, gently caress off you filthy animals :jerkbag:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

reminder, once again, that it is actually we who are to blame

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Came_from_Something_Awful

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Drumpf is finished

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

kdrudy posted:

Kilborn asked guests 5 questions. For some reason I always remember him asking Mike Myers "Canada, what went wrong?"

I always remember him asking David Lee Roth "Who's the blonde woman that ruined Van Halen?"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

This just doesn't make any loving sense at all. Jon Stewart announced and retired from The Daily Show before Trump even announced he was running for president.

But sure, lets blame Jon Stewart because who else do we have to blame?

One of the most deserved probations in all of the leper colony IMO.

He was actually still hosting when Trump came down the elevator because he did a head in hands bit because he had just announced his retirement.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
It's time to take George W Bush down a peg :twisted:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

He was actually still hosting when Trump came down the elevator because he did a head in hands bit because he had just announced his retirement.

He also hosted during Trump's 2012 run. I think in one episode Jon even explicitly said he really hoped Trump would run for president in 2012 because of how hilariously stupid he was and how much material they could mine from Trump doing Trump things.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 24, 2024

sad question
May 30, 2020

pro starcraft loser posted:

He earned a lot of respect for his work with the 9/11 group. Glad to see him coming back.
Did he train them to fly the planes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kdrudy posted:

Yeah, and over the first two weeks after Stewart took over he progressively reduced the segments questions to "ween viewers off the format".