Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
lol @ the people legitimately angry that Jon Stewart didn't save America

it's amazing how much projection liberals are doing of their guilt for not taking any progressive action when they had the chance, onto the things they used as crutches

IT'S YOUR FAULT I DID NOTHING AND ONLY LAUGHED, FUNNYMAN!!

IT'S ALSO YOUR FAULT YOU WEREN'T HERE TO MAKE US LAUGH DURING TRUMP!!!

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this is an ill portent, a symbol of the desire of NPR liberals to return to the womb and escape the impending doom they fear awaits them

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

sad question posted:

Did he train them to fly the planes?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
A failure of a businessman turned reality show host is dragging the country to hell, and the only person that can save us is a former standup comedian.

What a country! :patriot:

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
john stewart is here to save the country by:

- looking at camera w/ funny face
- squeaky voice

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Wifi Toilet posted:

A failure of a businessman turned reality show host is dragging the country to hell, and the only person that can save us is a former standup comedian.

What a country! :patriot:

Don't forget professional rock and jock baseball player

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Its not 2009, don't care.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
His show was very obviously political but whenever he'd get pressed on it he'd use the excuse that he's just a comedian making jokes instead of standing behind his beliefs. That's why I didn't like him, I considered him a coward. His work lobbying lately has made me respect him more, though.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Homer Simpson was right the whole time: tv really will save us all

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Jon Stewart: Trump suuuuucks lol

Trump: *immediately halts campaign, dies, white doves fly out of his rear end and drop legal weed and abortion pills on a slowly healing nation*

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Don't forget professional rock and jock baseball player

Impressive arm and leg hair.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It’s JON without an H, you noob! Gawrsh!

Apple screwed up bad letting him go imo, he was hitting his stride in his show

First episodes of the initial season of the Apple show (The Problem) were painful, but he was getting back into it and his team was finding their footing. By season 2 the show had evolved into The Daily Show again(with a budget, this time). Still worth watching imo.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
hopefully first episode he redoes his bit at wuhan virus lab, hard to believe that is coming up on 3 years ago

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

John Oliver is funny

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

John Oliver is funny

nah

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don’t know how a show like his is supposed to find a big audience in the streaming era

daily show was something you watched on TV because it was on, not something you made time for or recorded

i don’t know anyone who watched his show on apple, nor the similar things like john oliver’s show. not that i begrudge him for collecting a check and letting a network figure out how to sell enough taco bell ads to keep the lights on.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I like John Oliver but I just can’t watch his show anymore because it’s too goddamn depressing about how everything sucks so goddamn much and I don’t want to be angry when I’m trying to relax in front of the toob

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I like John Oliver but I just can’t watch his show anymore because it’s too goddamn depressing about how everything sucks so goddamn much and I don’t want to be angry when I’m trying to relax in front of the toob

I have trouble with those shows because it should be getting people pissed but the host always deflates a bit by going for a joke. The tone should be "Jesus christ look how hosed this is" not "hyuck get a load of this!"

John Oliver is super predictable with his jokes, you can see him setting up the rule of three from a loving mile away and you just have to sit there and endure

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Spinz posted:

I've seen lots of posts hating on him and I don't really get it

Impotence, OP.

Yeah honestly I think a lot of goons just like to latch on one flaw or thing they disagree with and write someone completely off. I'm genuinely glad he's back for the election season.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

John Oliver's show is good for being informative but his humour is rear end from a BUTT.

wait...if John Oliver was funny...would trump not have won???????

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think of john oliver’s show as an extension of reddit because it’s the only place i ever see anyone talk about it. jon stewart is a way better comedian, but i think his return will fall into the same well.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if Frodo and Gollum were one person

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

This for me 100%. I know he makes great content, but I watch TV to escape this misery, not absorb more of it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
jon stewart is funny and I forgive him for his part in putting donald trump in the white house

john oliver is not funny and I want him off the tv

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spinz posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/24/entertainment/jon-stewart-daily-show/index.html

I'm glad I love him I want to marry him and if I could pick anyone in the universe to be President i'd pick him

I've seen lots of posts hating on him and I don't really get it

Because he believed a conspiracy theory and got pissy when he got called on it while the racist lovely people who believe the conspiracy theory along with him used him as a sign of "See, the racist lovely conspiracy theory is true, even the liberal's god believes it."

Man was funny on TV does not = isn't a shithead.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Wyatt Cenac was right to call him out about racist jokes against conservatives and got screamed at and his career derailed for his troubles

Stewart went on an unhinged conspiracy rant about the origins of Covid that made Colbert look uncomfortable.

John Oliver does his job better these days and wins Emmys repeatedly for it

Stewart is also still lowkey friends with Louis CK. I mean a lot of comedians are and they don't admit it because he's still radioactive, but Louis was his big final guest before finale, and to this day they still hang out.

The man is a land of contrasts though. Obviously he did great with the 9/11 First Responders bill I mean thats irrefutable.

His famous pizza rant is tiresome garbage though and thats probably exactly the same kind of humor youll get when he comes back.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
You know they're going to be tapping the "He was in 'Death to Smoochy' haha" well HARD

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Bad Purchase posted:

i don’t know how a show like his is supposed to find a big audience in the streaming era

daily show was something you watched on TV because it was on, not something you made time for or recorded

i don’t know anyone who watched his show on apple, nor the similar things like john oliver’s show. not that i begrudge him for collecting a check and letting a network figure out how to sell enough taco bell ads to keep the lights on.

i feel like the whole era of people being united by watching the same programming blocks in the evening is kinda gone yeah. i'm not really saying that nostalgically, i'm not sure if i ever want to go back to every night being the same things while being bombarded by ads, it's just A Thing That Is. Entertainment has split off and become a series of niches with no one mainstream outlet, outside of maybe Netflix.

EDIT: That said some boomers still watch late night television, so there are people who still do it, just not the folks you'd want to feel part of a tribe with lol and cable is not the dominant form of entertainment anymore, that's for sure.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i feel like the whole era of people being united by watching the same programming blocks in the evening is kinda gone yeah. i'm not really saying that nostalgically, i'm not sure if i ever want to go back to every night being the same things while being bombarded by ads, it's just A Thing That Is. Entertainment has split off and become a series of niches with no one mainstream outlet, outside of maybe Netflix.

EDIT: That said some boomers still watch late night television, so there are people who still do it, just not the folks you'd want to feel part of a tribe with lol and cable is not the dominant form of entertainment anymore, that's for sure.

Whatever happened to Trevor Noah?

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

Outpost22 posted:

who cares

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Outpost22 posted:

who's that

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I hate streaming. I want all of my TV shows spoonfed to me at pre-designated times outside of my control LIKE GOD INTENDED. :colbert:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Outpost22 posted:

tripped a landmine suspiciously close to the comedy central headquarters

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I read Trevor Noah's autobiography for a book club and it was pretty good. Had some very funny parts, but also a serious look at growing up in Apartheid South Africa.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, his book was decent but I never bothered to watch him host on TDS

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

His show was very obviously political but whenever he'd get pressed on it he'd use the excuse that he's just a comedian making jokes instead of standing behind his beliefs. That's why I didn't like him, I considered him a coward. His work lobbying lately has made me respect him more, though.

Because comedy is never political?

This thread just keeps giving with its dumber than dogshit takes.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

it's not fair for him to lie to america about doing comedy

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

Jon Stewart: Trump suuuuucks lol

Trump: *immediately halts campaign, dies, white doves fly out of his rear end and drop legal weed and abortion pills on a slowly healing nation*

this is what the avg 35-45 year old Jon Stewart fan thinks will literally happen when he's put back on air.

ooooh, oooooh, Jon Stewart is going to absolutely sick it to Trump on prime time tv, how will he ever recover from this!!!!

Trump: His name is Jonathan Leibowitz folks, Jonathan Leibowitz, why does he hide it from us? Why would he hide it from us folks, thats very odd, very unusual, why would this person hide his name from us? I wouldn't do that *scoffs*, remember when they tried to call me Drumpf, folks? You remember that? Remember when that was a big deal *gestures indifferently*, anyway he's a little man with a washed up career, but he did good stuff for our great, glorious 9/11 responders, we gotta give him that, we gotta give him that. I know its all in good fun, I know it is folks, but he's got a weird vendetta against me. Never had a problem with him myself, don't see why he's attacking me. Very odd, very odd folks.

A Stewart will be completely unironically loving owned by that simple paragraph and won't know how to respond to it at all other than being a scoffing shithead.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

S
Jon Stewart Daily Show
Colbert Report

B
Last week tonight with John Oliver

D
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

E
Trevor Noah Daily Show
Seth Myers

F
The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore
Samantha fuckin Bee
Jordan Klepper

Might be missing some but I didn’t watch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

S
Jon Stewart Daily Show
Colbert Report

B
Last week tonight with John Oliver

D
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

E
Trevor Noah Daily Show
Seth Myers

F
The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore
Samantha fuckin Bee
Jordan Klepper

Might be missing some but I didn’t watch them.

S+
Late Late show with Craig Ferguson