Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
lol @ the people legitimately angry that Jon Stewart didn't save America

it's amazing how much projection liberals are doing of their guilt for not taking any progressive action when they had the chance, onto the things they used as crutches

IT'S YOUR FAULT I DID NOTHING AND ONLY LAUGHED, FUNNYMAN!!

IT'S ALSO YOUR FAULT YOU WEREN'T HERE TO MAKE US LAUGH DURING TRUMP!!!

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Bad Purchase posted:

i don’t know how a show like his is supposed to find a big audience in the streaming era

daily show was something you watched on TV because it was on, not something you made time for or recorded

i don’t know anyone who watched his show on apple, nor the similar things like john oliver’s show. not that i begrudge him for collecting a check and letting a network figure out how to sell enough taco bell ads to keep the lights on.

i feel like the whole era of people being united by watching the same programming blocks in the evening is kinda gone yeah. i'm not really saying that nostalgically, i'm not sure if i ever want to go back to every night being the same things while being bombarded by ads, it's just A Thing That Is. Entertainment has split off and become a series of niches with no one mainstream outlet, outside of maybe Netflix.

EDIT: That said some boomers still watch late night television, so there are people who still do it, just not the folks you'd want to feel part of a tribe with lol and cable is not the dominant form of entertainment anymore, that's for sure.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Noah seems like a nice enough guy I just don't find him funny

I watched his last special and it was eh, which is a shame bc I enjoyed his earlier stuff. But this time he had a whole bit about how no one is actually policing trans folks in bathrooms, no one is actually stopping or attacking anyone in bathrooms, that's just a made up thing to divide us, and it bummed me out because I do in fact know people who have been harassed and even attacked in bathrooms.

Like, his core message - which is that corporate greed is largely ignored and that initially, the trans bathroom panic was manufactured to garner conservative outrage - is correct, but then he goes on to suggest trans people being scared are making too big of a deal bc no one's actually going to care which bathroom you go into, and unfortunately, we've found out they absolutely do and will harass people - the bullshit panic has had real, actual consequences for people.

Trevor Noah said in his most recent special, "Where Was I" posted:

Corporations steal billions and billions of dollars from their employees with no ramifications. You don’t pay attention to any of that. You pay attention to what’s catchy, what’s easy to keep up with. It keeps you going, you know? “Ooh, can trans people use public bathrooms?” “Ooh!” It’s manufactured. Who was dealing with this issue? Honestly. Who was actually dealing with this issue? You know what they did? Some politician figured out, they go, “Here’s a small story affecting a few people in a random place.” “I’ll make it seem like a nationwide issue, then everyone starts fighting.” But who was dealing with it? Who has ever been in a situation where you were in a bathroom, and all of a sudden a skirmish broke out and people go, “Excuse me, is this the gender that you were born with?” “Does it coincide with the sign on the door?” “Is your genitalia matching this?” “Can I see it?” Who’s ever seen that? Nobody. Nobody. But they make us fight about it because it’s catchy. “Who can use which bathroom.” Who cares? Who cares? I mean it, who cares? I know some would be like, “Trans people care.” They wanna know if they can use a public bathroom. Yeah, use whichever bathroom you want. Who’s gonna stop you? No, seriously, it’s a public toilet. Who is going to stop you? You tell me who’s gonna enforce that law? We can’t even enforce the idea that people should poo poo into the toilet. But you think magically they’re gonna figure out if you were born this way. Use whichever one you want. Why are we wasting our time? Other people are like, “We’ll fight because you gotta know who’s…” Let me tell you something. If you are spending enough time to know the genitalia of the other people in a public bathroom, you’re the creep.

that last line is especially rich because it's something trans people have been saying for a while. yes we realize this, but it hasn't stopped people from being very much creeps!

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 26, 2024