Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

His Apple show was boring as poo poo. I think the dude got old and jaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I watched only like the first five minutes of this and I genuinely enjoyed it but this really nails home how simple the TDS formula was and how loving bad Comedy Central has been that they couldn't find someone who makes squinty faces at news clips

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

i hope he rehires the original cast of correspondents. none of them except oliver are doing anything now anyway.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sex Farm posted:

I caught the tail end of the Carell/Colbert years and I really enjoyed it, Colbert report was really good too
Colbert report was good, his new show sucks rear end

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

yeah politics by and large are not these titanic battles with epic votes. it’s the mundane machinery of everyday. the biggest decisions are made on shadow dockets, in closed door meetings and by way of path dependency from minor decisions. the good thing about the daily show is that it made this boring rear end poo poo somewhat relatable and interesting. political apathy is some cursed poo poo and it largely favors the rich and elderly. the show sure as poo poo ain’t revolutionary agitprop but there’s definitely some positive influence that a vaguely progressive, broadly popular TV show can have.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He was a total out of left field choice. Not American, total newbie on the show, not particularly outstanding during his time there, no track record to speak of. Dude must have just nailed his interview or something.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m not even American (though I live here) and I kinda thought the same. It never seemed sincere. For me it felt like he was doing this as a gig and he’s not hurting for America the way Stewart did. Stewart’s overt patriotism I think makes his outrage feel more real.

That said John Oliver and Samantha Bee have (or had) perfectly good shows that were sometimes better than The Daily Show so I dunno. Those shows take themselves more seriously so maybe there’s a kinda analytical lens that doesn’t feel as performative.

It’s also possible I’m just racist in a very non-self-aware way :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Did Jon Stewart ever attack Dems back in the day? I kinda don’t recall that at all. The softest jabs, maybe.