Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

I liked it and I’m sad that he doesn’t do the whole week.

Problem is that between leaving the daily show and rejoining, politicians now harness having people do outrage/comedy about them to get on all channels. They're desperately vying to be "made fun of" as it gives them 10x the exposure they'd normally get and their opponents are never mentioned. And people at the end of the day veer towards voting for the most familiar person. They've gamed the system by deliberately dropping trou and doing rodeo clown acts. It'd be tiring to watch Stewart feign suprise or even mention them.

Keep him to election stuff and weekly where he wont get pulled into the 24 hour thing they milk now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Les Os posted:

A non-US comedian could totally bring the visceral voice and commentary but fwiw I never really saw that from Trevor Noah. His stuff definitely felt more Late Show than Daily Show

There was nothing aggressive in his commentary at all, seems a lovely guy though. But his delivery was very "can't we all just get along, this is all very good natured folks" mixed with Jerry Seinfeld. You need a bit more aggression and outrage if you're commenting on real dangers in the world instead of just saying "there goes the neighbourhood!".

I feel like at least one of Stewarts former correspondents should just jumpscare in with a cameo segment and a bit of a roast. It'd be awkward if they were there all the time like a high school reunion, but just once it could be pulled off very well. As long as it isn't colbert. :colbert:

e: They could do it with Oliver and then pan out to reveal his lavish HBO set, but I'm just writing sad fan fiction know.

wit fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 20, 2024

wit
Jul 26, 2011
2 for 2 episodes now jon stewart has become the news for saying a thing on his comedy show segment. At this point MSNBC is just doing react videos.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Did Jon Stewart ever attack Dems back in the day? I kinda don’t recall that at all. The softest jabs, maybe.

Yes. It was just less noticable because american politics wasn't a pretend battle of good and evil each and every election time. And people didnt scream on the internet and have it reported on news as "people say". It was a time of disenfranchisement for shit_poop999, its only been recently we caught up.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

rotinaj posted:

On the other hand, the self-pitying “all I did was ask questions, how dare you demand I only speak the Accepted Truth” routine he did on Monday was fuckin’ pathetic and he is being purposely obtuse about what people were saying in complaint about his first ep back

routine. it is a routine. he's always done that. You could replace all his words with cereal packet ingredients and its still him. This is as silly as asking john oliver to go score some three pointers. I get its a relic and old comedy seems new and poo poo, but it is not. It is us what are poo poo and new. And if you think about it, wasn't there a little new poo poo in you all along?