Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Les Os posted:

Real talk it should’ve been Wyatt Cenac

his short-lived show was a little awkward but just because he had to try really hard to make extra jokes because he was Sincere and didn't just showcase problems that were awful but actual solutions as well

like imagine John Oliver not hiding behind a bunch of epicfuckawesome obscenity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I love it. I hope he’s not miserable coming out of semi retirement and doing this every week.

I hate it and I hope he is miserable :twisted:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

sure okay posted:

Some real low hanging fruit here, telling people things literally everyone already knows.

I guess you gotta go safe for your opening show.

back in the Good Old Days he was going after low hanging fruit with no effort too. it's just that, even as the fruit hung all the way down to the ground, no one else was touching it, making him the most Serious news media person on TV much to his chagrin. for better and worse things have changed and thats also why theres really zero need to have him back doing this routine again

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

20 Blunts posted:

just because you never had good days doesn't mean other people can't

i loved the daily show back in the day. ive changed and times have changed and a lot of the reason ive changed is because times have changed and its not just me

bringing back the Jon Stewart Daily Show is like bringing back posting like bigpeeler or whatever. we grew up it doesnt work anymore

e: le epic me, stepping in the same river twice: this is loving awesome!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Who's going after it these days? What's changed?

Asking seriously because I don't consume a lot of political comedy media. Link me to someone who's better.

every late night host besides jimmy fallon? also theres plenty of content on youtube/instagram/tiktok and then also theres 73490573905734534 podcasts. you can argue that jon stewart was groundbreaking in a lot of ways (or maybe it was just inevitable that the media landscape would change) but that also means you cant go back. hey lets write music like Chuck Berry did and hope its not too edgy for the radio!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

TrashMammal posted:

:lmao: at the belief that sick burns are praxis

do you have any idea how catty karl marx was?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

i distinctly remember as a kid thinking, "wow theyre replacing Craig Kilbourn with some guy ive never heard of? and Kilbourn is taking Five Questions with him? heh, good luck 'jon stewart'". biggest L opinion of my lifetime probably

also Kilbourn's late night show sucked and he got replaced by Craig Ferguson who was one of, if not THE best. really cursed career lol

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Did Jon Stewart ever attack Dems back in the day? I kinda don’t recall that at all. The softest jabs, maybe.

everything in TV political comedy was 100% soft jabs pre-dubya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

i was going to add "or else you'd get cancelled" and you made my point

for real though watch Norm's Correspondents dinner roast compared to Colbert's