Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm glad Jon Stewart is coming back and I wish he never left the Daily Show at all. His commentary during Trump would've been legendary if he stayed.

I was kinda dumbfounded when 60 Minutes interviewed Trevor Noah and it turned out Stewart had hand-picked him to be his replacement. Like what the gently caress man, the Daily Show needs a second Jon Stewart to host it, not whatever unfunny poo poo Trevor Noah is.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

caleb posted:

Wasn't it Craig Kilborn and they had the exploding head animation where they would ask the guest like 5 really weird questions?

I don't think the original host had guests at all. The Daily Show didn't start having guests until some time around the very late 90s/early 2000s. In fact I remember watching the very first episode where they had a guest, as well as a bunch of eps from before that.

Unless they had guests before that and just stopped doing it for awhile when Jon took over.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 24, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Powerful Katrinka posted:

How dare a TV show host on a comedy network ABANDON the nation, just before our time of need? What kind of comedian doesn't take over as president to save the nation, after doing a stint as a funny joke guy? It's absolutely his job!

To be fair, the Daily Show under Jon Stewart had a pretty loving huge cultural impact on America and I'd even go so far as to say that Trump might've lost in 2016 had Stewart stuck around through the election. Hell if he was around in 2020 he could've significantly helped reshape the national discourse on COVID, or at least curbed a big chunk of the hoax/antivax poo poo for a few months longer (although a timeline where Trump wasn't president would beg the question of would we still have had to deal with COVID at all).

EDIT: To clarify, I'm NOT blaming Jon Stewart for Trump or COVID or anything like that. I'm just saying things might've happened a little bit differently had Stewart stayed on the show, since he had a pretty big presence. Maybe Trump still would've won anyway, who knows. :shrug:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 24, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It was Short Attention Span Theater before becoming TDS with Craig Killborn. It was generalized “current events” type stuff iirc before it got more politically oriented when Stewart came on.

Yeah it used to be way more of a current events show, although it stayed that way for awhile after Stewart took over. The shift over to politics didn't really start until Bush got elected and 9/11 happened, iirc.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

moist banana bread posted:

Please explain how the president could have spared us from dealing with coronavirus, I am legitimately curious and nonconfrontational about that statement.

Sorry, I worded that badly. We still would've had to deal with COVID; we just probably wouldn't have hosed up the response as bad if literally anyone besides Trump was in charge.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 24, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

He was actually still hosting when Trump came down the elevator because he did a “head in hands” bit because he had just announced his retirement.

He also hosted during Trump's 2012 run. I think in one episode Jon even explicitly said he really hoped Trump would run for president in 2012 because of how hilariously stupid he was and how much material they could mine from Trump doing Trump things.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 24, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

John Oliver is funny

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I hate streaming. I want all of my TV shows spoonfed to me at pre-designated times outside of my control LIKE GOD INTENDED. :colbert:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Who is hosting the Daily Show now? I heard Trevor Noah was leaving it but did he actually leave yet?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Stink Billyums posted:

no one. they've been cycling through guest hosts for an entire year

Holy hell that is dire.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hazo posted:

lol Elon is a pathetic dullard desperate for relevance. He’ll glom onto anything and anyone who’s popular at the moment in order to try and siphon off some residual attention, right up until they offend him or make it clear they want nothing to do with him.

See also: Trump, Taylor Swift, MrBeast

Also Elon probably (correctly) thinks Jon is gonna make fun of him and wants to keep an eye on his tweetfeed for that exact reason.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Liberals don’t know what that is

I don't know what "praxis" means and I refuse to look it up myself

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Strong "The UK Office is better" vibes

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

y'all seem like fun people to be around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I'm old enough to remember Ross Perot's candidacy. He absolutely had a legitimate chance as 3rd party candidate until he went off the rails with bizarre accusations and his persona wore thin. Looking it up he finished with 18.9% of the vote. This was a guy who was not smooth, charismatic or anything like that. What I recall, before he got weird, was he sold himself as a straight shooter businessman focused on fiscal issues. It's not inconceivable to me that a self-funded (extremely rich, effectively) person could beat these two relics or compete with a chance to win in a future election but here we are.

E: His wikipedia entry is pretty fascinating. His best polling was 39% in the Gallup. He got weird and the wheels fell off and he still approached 20%. I was going to vote for him early on, as a young dumbass but still.

I remember when Ross Perot was a character in the Earboy sketches on All That.