Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Grey Cat)
GAME
This poll is closed.
Poll closed for revamp 0 0%
Poll closed for revamp 0 0%
Total: 0 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Alright so it's game night again.

Where? Here and Discord
When? This Saturday at 8pm Eastern
HOW??? Show up on discord and play. If anything extra is required it will be posted in advance. Nothing will ever cost money to play.

We will be playing: [Vote for it in the Discord]
What you need to play: Join the discord, have an internet browser.

:phoneline::phoneline:

Previous Threads:
Goons Vs Jackbox
Goons Vs Gartic Phone

Albums:
Game Night I
Game Night II
Game Night III
Game Night IV
Game Night V
Friday Game Night I

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I don’t know any of those except quiplash

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

N. Senada posted:

I don’t know any of those except quiplash

Tee KO was what we played in the previous jackbox thread so you can find examples there. I'm also almost done uploading the video I promised I would a month ago in there.
Skribbl.io is basically just pictionary, you get a word, you draw it, people guess the word and get points for how quick they do it.
Transformice is just chaos of everyone trying to get to cheese as a mouse. About all I can say.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Transformice is basically Lemmings except everyone plays a lemming and one of them gets the power to spawn objects to help everyone reach the cheese on the map viciously-brutalize everyone else with cannonballs:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ChickenHeart posted:

Transformice is basically Lemmings except everyone plays a lemming and one of them gets the power to spawn objects to help everyone reach the cheese on the map viciously-brutalize everyone else with cannonballs:

I promise to be kind and benevolent mouse. :smugdog:

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

can't wait, last time TKO was chock-full of an incredible series of shirts. And pikachu rear end, which I do not support

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

beauty queen breakdown posted:

can't wait, last time TKO was chock-full of an incredible series of shirts. And pikachu rear end, which I do not support

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

I'm down to play anything involving drawing or Quiplash

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I ran a lot of remote Jackbox games during the pandemic, and I'd recommend Blather Round without qualification

Drawful and Champ'd Up are great if most of the players can draw at least decently and think on their feet. Champ'd can run a little slow on older phones though
Dictionarium, Quiplash, Fibbage, and Bracketeering are great if uh... everybody playing is funny. they might sag a little if some of the players aren't quick-witted
Mad Verse City and Joke Boat are similar except instead of sagging when somebody's not funny they can get excruciatingly bad
all of the trivia games (YDKJ, Guesspionage, Survive the Internet, Trivia Murder Party) are fun, maybe not as creative. Murder Party 2 is a fav
Push the Button is okay. it's like if Among Us was a game. (jahu though nobody understands the Bioscanner and you should never use it)
Civic Doodle and Patently Stupid are kind of a mixed bag. helps to be funny, helps to draw good, can feel a little get-to-my-turn-y
Monster Seeking Monster is not as awkward as it might seem, but the hidden role mechanic can feel kind of like the Mario Party Bonus Stars because there's no way you're going to play it enough for people to get a sense of what all the roles are
that's all I can think of

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Cubone posted:

I ran a lot of remote Jackbox games during the pandemic, and I'd recommend Blather Round without qualification

Drawful and Champ'd Up are great if most of the players can draw at least decently and think on their feet. Champ'd can run a little slow on older phones though
Dictionarium, Quiplash, Fibbage, and Bracketeering are great if uh... everybody playing is funny. they might sag a little if some of the players aren't quick-witted
Mad Verse City and Joke Boat are similar except instead of sagging when somebody's not funny they can get excruciatingly bad
all of the trivia games (YDKJ, Guesspionage, Survive the Internet, Trivia Murder Party) are fun, maybe not as creative. Murder Party 2 is a fav
Push the Button is okay. it's like if Among Us was a game. (jahu though nobody understands the Bioscanner and you should never use it)
Civic Doodle and Patently Stupid are kind of a mixed bag. helps to be funny, helps to draw good, can feel a little get-to-my-turn-y
Monster Seeking Monster is not as awkward as it might seem, but the hidden role mechanic can feel kind of like the Mario Party Bonus Stars because there's no way you're going to play it enough for people to get a sense of what all the roles are
that's all I can think of

I can definitely add these to the pile next time around. A lot of the jackbox games are really really good, I'm a huge fan of drawful, honestly.
Monster seeking monster is pretty funny I've played it with friends before. Push the button is also alright but frustrating when people can't figure out how to relay the symbols.
Blatheround is also great so I'll definitely put it in the hat.

I planned on skipping joke boat and similar games entirely because they require being funny and talking/delivering a joke. Half of the people joining game night don't talk at all. It's not the biggest deal but it restricts a few games.

The biggest issue right now is just the amount of people showing up, last time was almost 30 goons so I want to avoid games with a lot of runtime and "get to my turn" feelings. Bigger lobby games with quick rounds and games with good audience roles are preferred, Tee KO did great with the audience since we had enough in it to completely swing most of the votes.

Out of the current lot of 4 for this weekend I think skribbl is the best just because of the sheer lobby size and not having to download a game like transformice (free and small download though). But I'm really up for anything. If skribbl takes it home it could also be funny to do a custom word list for it.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 25, 2024

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
I voted Skribble this time, but any of those games will be a lot of fun.

edit: A very close second is Transformice.

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 25, 2024

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
also, the newer Jackbox packs (8-10):

Pack 8:
  • Drawful Animate is good, but having to draw two frames can make it awkward for a group that's already not a fan of drawing
  • Job Job owns and is more forgiving for people who have trouble being funny on the spot (as long as everybody plays to the spirit and gives everyone enough source material to work with), plus it supports 10 people instead of 8
  • Poll Mine only works well if everyone's chatting
  • Weapons Drawn is a combination drawing/social deduction game, and the set of players who like both is a narrow intersection in my experience
  • Wheel of Enormous Proportions is trivia, but the actual game result is mostly chance and the chance section is much longer than the trivia section

Pack 9:
  • Fibbage 4 is more Fibbage
  • Roomerang really needs everybody to be on the same wavelength and willing to do some light roleplay (answering questions in character as the random personality trait they're assigned); when people buy in it's great, when everybody's too shy/embarrassed to try, it's dull
  • I've never had a fun round of Junktopia
  • Nonsensory is good as long as people are creative enough to not just say the target number directly in their answers
  • Quixort is team trivia, which also really needs full team participation

Pack 10:
  • Tee KO 2 is pretty much just Tee KO 1 with slightly more drawing tools and match-ups in brackets instead of single-elimination round-robin
  • Timejinx is pretty good trivia, but Trivia Murder Party 1/2 are still better
  • FixyText is insane chaos and every group I've played it with falls in love with it
  • Dodo Re Mi is too frustrating to play online
  • The couple of times I've played Hypnotorious, half the group never manages to grasp what the rules are

For this group, of this set I'd recommend Job Job, Drawful Animate, Nonsensory, FixyText, and maybe Roomerang

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 25, 2024

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

The Chairman posted:

For this group, of this set I'd recommend Job Job, Drawful Animate, Nonsensory, FixyText, and maybe Roomerang

These all look great for the group, I'll have to pick some of them up for next time. Last one I bought was 6 so I'm a little behind on packs but not too hard to fix.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I voted for quiplash but I'll play whatever. I'll try to use my mic this time too lol

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Let's play Napoleon Total War

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

Let's play Napoleon Total War

lmao. but actually this.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

The gang plays a TBS for 12 hours.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Grey Cat posted:

The gang plays a TBS for 12 hours.

Hell yeah let's raid some settlements in Fallout Online

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i want to play ricochet with goons

https://store.steampowered.com/app/60/Ricochet/

valve's best multiplayer game. pretty sure you get it for free if you have an old half life license.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bad Purchase posted:

i want to play ricochet with goons

https://store.steampowered.com/app/60/Ricochet/

valve's best multiplayer game. pretty sure you get it for free if you have an old half life license.

The future is now.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Eh, just wait for Ricochet 2 instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub2yndMZAnM (good lord this video is 9 years old)

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ChickenHeart posted:

Eh, just wait for Ricochet 2 instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub2yndMZAnM (good lord this video is 9 years old)

Of course it was an April 1st video.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there's a direct line from obama cancelling the ricochet 2 program to trump becoming potus

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bad Purchase posted:

there's a direct line from obama cancelling the ricochet 2 program to trump becoming potus

OBAMNA! :argh:

Also reading this has me thinking about the Hillary tee again.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How's everyone feel about What The Dub?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

How's everyone feel about What The Dub?

What the dub is pretty funny but again a game that requires voice participation and I'm not wanting to require people talk.
Or is that the one where you type it?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

drat, Transformice is still going? I was big into that ages ago. I don't think I even remember how to make the horrors I unleashed anymore.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Grey Cat posted:

What the dub is pretty funny but again a game that requires voice participation and I'm not wanting to require people talk.
Or is that the one where you type it?

Typing, no voice needed

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Ah, so the one with the old black and white clips, my bad. It could be funny so I'll toss it into the hat with all the new recommendations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i somehow have deja vu and no idea what is going on

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i somehow have deja vu and no idea what is going on

Well, it's a game night and we play games.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'd prefer a game without drawing this time because I'm so bad at it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'd prefer a game without drawing this time because I'm so bad at it.

You're in luck!
I'm gonna call it. Quiplash 3, everybody.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
There’s contention over the best Quiplash to play. I always had the most fun with XL actually. 3 is good, and the final round gimmick is fine in theory but so many fail to do anything funny with it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I think quiplash 3 is better than 2 it's just more consistent with its final round where quiplash 2 has 2 stinker final round versions and 1 good one.
I've never played quiplash XL so I can't really speak on it. I'd assume it's better than acrolash and whatever the other one was called.

They're all fine though so really it's always going to be personal preference.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
The horrors will never stop

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Cheekachu 2024

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

weg posted: