Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Synopsis posted:

The princess who's been held captive by the Demon Lord's army is scheduled to be executed by the Demon Lord's relentless torture!
Website

A new anime adaptation from PINE JAM, 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess' follows the relentless torture of the titular Princess and her faithful companion, the talking sword Ex, as the master torturers of the Hellhorde subject her to daily torment to learn the vital secrets of the Third Legion. By torturing her with food. And affection. And video games. Bottomless depravity, truly.

It's a pretty fun show. For having a single gag conceit to carry the show there's been a good bit of variety in the ways each episode's torture is carried out. The Princess is an entertaining lead with Ex the talking sword playing a great deadpan against her really well animated meltdowns and Shiraishi Haruka's food-addled babbling. It definitely feels like its carrying a similar energy as PINE JAM's previous show Do It Yourself! If you're looking for some light comedy with a fun cast this winter then this might be the show for you.

'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess' is currently airing on Crunchyroll.

OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp_9xlcp4Ig
Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yQFJhl0zyk

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I really wish I had a good place nearby to get tonkatsu, for some reason.

This show is almost like the mirror-universe double of Sleepy Princess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

For real there's a lot of sincerity in this show that elevates it above being just an amusing shitpost. For each crack about how the Princess is hopelessly weak for food there's another torture segment that tells us about the positive people in her childhood and why the "torture" is so effective. Her butler sneaking her treats as a kid when she's not being trained to fight monsters is really cute.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 25, 2024

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The manga this is based on has very good, crisp art and the anime really pays that off with gorgeous animation. This is one of my favorite chill mangas. I've watched episode 1 and it was fantastic.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

rate this one, dumb face-o-meter

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Maybe the most hit-or-miss part of this whole gag cadence is the natural capper to a session, where the Hell-Lord reacts to the new secret. But when it hits, that ball is gone.

I had him pegged for more of a fridge guy than a frame guy, but I guess if he can't spring for 'em, who can?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not wanting to miss Super Hero time and Precure on Sunday morning is super relatable Hell Lord!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was the "Welcome to Tokyo" bit at the amusement park a reference to something or just a funny non-sequitur? It felt a bit like an "I'm going to Disneyland!" moment.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think it was a reference to Tokyo Disneyland but I can't be positive as I've never been.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

show's cute and good. Pine Jam are outdoing DIY already imo, at least in terms of animation

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I love how whenever the princess gives them concrete actionable information the Demon King blows it off with an excuse like cram school or he wants to watch Sunday morning anime. He's his own worst enemy. His daughter is adorable though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still not convinced that the Hellhorde are the aggressors in their war with humans. They're far too nice when they're not being sadistic torturers who execute gorilla cookies.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah unlike a regular torturer they actually treat her nicely in between bouts of cruelty. They may deny her a little pleasure but they always give it to her after the torture is done. She also seems to be real friends with the duo, which is unheard of.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

I love how whenever the princess gives them concrete actionable information the Demon King blows it off with an excuse like cram school or he wants to watch Sunday morning anime.
He's secretly a fan of Fluffy Paradise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

God, the dude is a lightweight for a well poured can of Sapporo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Fuwafuwawa beeru gives you wings.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I am very normal about Torture Tortura.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

would love to crack open a cold one with the Hell-Lord

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The manga is already insanely good, but goddamn with music, voice acting, and animation these tortures hit so loving hard.

Ex getting loving tortured to death* made me cackle. Also the specificity of animal paw pads smelling vaguely corn-like, lmao

*bright shiny ness

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm still trying to work out how two swords can be lovers. My brain refuses to imagine the act between two swords.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You've heard of scissoring right?

Like that with half the blades.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 31, 2024

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Swapping scabbards

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Obviously it would be grinding.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

7c Nickel posted:

You've heard of scissoring right?

Like that with half the blades.

Sounds like a good way to Nick or chip the blade

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I assume they just kill the same person simultaneously.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Elfface posted:

Swapping scabbards

There was an entire Gintama arc about this

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
FYI for episode 5, there's a post-credits scene.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

There were some post credit scenes earlier too, with the handsome white knight doing his insane chanting!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Relaxing riverside torture.

Poor Gengar looking dude was really dedicated to the bit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

it's exactly what i thought it would be and it still got me. show continues to be good

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

symbolic posted:

it's exactly what i thought it would be and it still got me. show continues to be good

It answered the one question I had when the episode ended, so I was happy.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Beer would indeed go great with that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Newest episode is out. I will never, EVER, get tired of the Hell Lord's super serious vibe juxtaposed with his doofy dad persona. Some great princess blubbering this week too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
RIP Louch, you died for a good cause.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At least princess realized her relationship with louch was an endless loop of failure. Next time he comes by he's going to have a spell that teleports you then your clothes I bet. Or maybe it teleports your hair first.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

good ep, love the Hell-lord so much. glad i checked for another post-credits scene

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Is Knight guy anime only or was he actually in the manga? I don't remember in the earlier chapters but it's been awhile since I've read those...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Is Knight guy anime only or was he actually in the manga? I don't remember in the earlier chapters but it's been awhile since I've read those...

he was there