Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Besides being a horrible puff piece planted by Vince's lawyers which in the end doesn't make him look good it's clear that Vince isn't ready to move on and is 100% going to try and get back in wrestling next year. I 100% expect him to either start a new company or....like buy the NWA

I don't think that's clear at all and think it is something Vince's people are floating to distract fromt the fact he is obviously still in communication with multiple WWE figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Just as a reminder, this isn't really the thread for jokes like this:

I regret nothing

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think that's clear at all and think it is something Vince's people are floating to distract fromt the fact he is obviously still in communication with multiple WWE figures.

I still think Vince is shadow booking everything. Everyone who he pushed before leaving is still getting pushed and all of Triple H’s infinity gauntlet people are low midcard or disappeared. Triple H and the army of writers have made the product more consistent since the script isn’t being rewritten minutes before the show but I still think Vince directs them who to push.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

yeah I can see the angle too especially since they got rid of Drew quickly it looks like to prevent people from looking closely there. Plus you know Pritchard is still there and is a Vince Flunkie

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I still think Vince is shadow booking everything. Everyone who he pushed before leaving is still getting pushed and all of Triple H’s infinity gauntlet people are low midcard or disappeared. Triple H and the army of writers have made the product more consistent since the script isn’t being rewritten minutes before the show but I still think Vince directs them who to push.

I don't think he's involved on any real strategic or tactical level with WWE's business although I'm sure he has some conversations about it with company officers. I'm sure some things involving the case are coordinated.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

MassRafTer posted:

I'm sure some things involving the case are coordinated.

The copy of the "love letter" that got leaked by the NY Post from the McMahon team came from the internal investigation and not Vince's own devices.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Vince wouldn't try to buy another company or start a new one because it wouldn't be The Big Leagues. He's the sort of person who would never allow himself to be anything other than the sole dictator of the biggest and most profitable company

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
He's a young man in the prime of life like Tyrone Power, I think he can build it all back up from the beginning.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Vince wouldn't try to buy another company or start a new one because it wouldn't be The Big Leagues. He's the sort of person who would never allow himself to be anything other than the sole dictator of the biggest and most profitable company

Both versions of the XFL would like a word.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

flashy_mcflash posted:

Both versions of the XFL would like a word.

I guess that's fair. He really thought at the time that he could eventually grow enough to compete with the NFL though

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

I guess that's fair. He really thought at the time that he could eventually grow enough to compete with the NFL though

who could have guessed that it's really expensive and hard to fight the number one competitor in a market when they have a 40 year head start

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Shard posted:

who could have guessed that it's really expensive and hard to fight the number one competitor in a market when they have a 40 year head start

Part of the thing with the XFL was that their season started right after the super bowl so there shouldn't have been any competition

But running a legit sport league is a whole lot different than running a wrestling promotion and he was obviously very bad at it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Didn't Vince try to buy the Carolina Panthers first?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

He only relaunched the XFL in the first place because Charlie Ebersol started kicking the tires about buying the name rights to launch what would later be the AAF.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

also just remembering the love of naming things extreme in the late 90s and early aughts but spelling it like xtreme. That is a drat moment in time to me.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Shard posted:

also just remembering the love of naming things extreme in the late 90s and early aughts but spelling it like xtreme. That is a drat moment in time to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDaKTTZtJZY

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sports Entertainment Xtreme, bro.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm sure in Vince's mind he already thought the XFL was bigger than the NFL.

Also, LOL at Vince thought people would be in awe of the XFL's version of the Super Bowl being called "The Million Dollar Bowl" where the winning team would split a million dollars amongst themselves.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vince thought he could cash in on the sports rights bubble and also catch the audience that were loudly stating they wouldn't watch the NFL anymore cause of players kneeling for the anthem/protesting racism. And neither paid off

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

i never believed those people would stop watching football. It's too ingrained in our society from childhood to death

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

And on top of all that the XFL games weren't even that entertaining. Bad football is bad football, it's tough to lie to yourself about that like people do bad wrestling.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I distinctly remember his announcement of the revival having a classic conservative line in the vein of "We're not political but players aren't allowed to take a knee!!". As if it wasn't already embarrassing before that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

And while it's a little thing it was funny making Vince admit on the stand that he himself couldn't play for the XFL because he was charged with a felony.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shard posted:

Which is a lesson he should have learned from trying to launch the WBF! It's kind of amazing all the same dirty tricks that served him well in wrestling didn't work in bodybuilding.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Beyond Bodybuilding never really having a chance to be a big mainstream thing both the NFL and the Wieder's ran way better businesses than what the territories ran when Vince went national. So not only did he not have the advantage of having a big media market behind him like we bought the WWF he also didn't have incompetent competition either

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I distinctly remember his announcement of the revival having a classic conservative line in the vein of "We're not political but players aren't allowed to take a knee!!". As if it wasn't already embarrassing before that.

The original XFL's selling point was "no fair catches" because they were trying be like "yeah, those wuss returners can't just wave off the other team". There was a 5-yard halo rule, though, so even though a returner had to run with the ball, you had to give them space to catch it. It basically didn't make a difference.

Oh, and when they built up for several weeks that there would be cameras in the cheerleaders' locker room.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

CellBlock posted:

The original XFL's selling point was "no fair catches" because they were trying be like "yeah, those wuss returners can't just wave off the other team". There was a 5-yard halo rule, though, so even though a returner had to run with the ball, you had to give them space to catch it. It basically didn't make a difference.

Oh, and when they built up for several weeks that there would be cameras in the cheerleaders' locker room.

Still creeped out by the ESPN 30 for 30 on the XFL where Matt Vasgersian talked about Vince in his ear telling him to basically be as perverted as possible talking about the cheerleaders.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My racist step father actually stopped watching football for two years over that garbage stuff

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CellBlock posted:

Don’t forget the rugby scrum instead of kickoff that injured players before the game even started

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Don’t forget the rugby scrum instead of kickoff that injured players before the game even started

It wasnt a rugby scrum, they put the ball at midfield and then one guy from each team ran from like 20 yards out in opposite directions at full speed to grab it and in the first game a guy separated his shoulder doing it

This was their replacement for A Coin Toss

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Alaois posted:

It wasnt a rugby scrum, they put the ball at midfield and then one guy from each team ran from like 20 yards out in opposite directions at full speed to grab it and in the first game a guy separated his shoulder doing it

skill issue

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Alaois posted:

I mean, I too thought it was dope right up until it wasn't.

In my defense, I was 16.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheKingslayer posted:

And on top of all that the XFL games weren't even that entertaining. Bad football is bad football, it's tough to lie to yourself about that like people do bad wrestling.

We have college ball for all the bad football we could ever want, and at least those guys have the excuse that they're not getting paid to be good at it. :D

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

this kicks rear end tbh

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

They should have made two guys play a game of Powerball from American Gladiators instead

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

CellBlock posted:

Which, if I remember right, was paid off with a classic Vince swerve where they finally get the cameras in there and it was Rodney Dangerfield in nothing but a bath towel

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oaf02lcJ7g

They started a football game with this?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It wasn’t a scrum it was a two man sprint for the ball and someone was injured during the first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

weekly font posted:

It wasn’t a scrum it was a two man sprint for the ball and someone was injured during the first one

I just don’t understand how one could confuse a scrum and two blokes having a sprint.