Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Wasn't the very first XFL game basically like that Simpsons episode where they watch Soccer for the first time and it's just the two teams passing the ball back and forth the whole game never scoring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Drakkel posted:

Wasn't the very first XFL game basically like that Simpsons episode where they watch Soccer for the first time and it's just the two teams passing the ball back and forth the whole game never scoring?

nah, it was vegas vs nj, vegas won 19-0 and just squashed them

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

edogawa rando posted:

I just don’t understand how one could confuse a scrum and two blokes having a sprint.

American reacts to rugby for the first time. Wmv

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

edogawa rando posted:

I just don’t understand how one could confuse a scrum and two blokes having a sprint.

Tbf, it's easy to confuse xfl with a less popular sport

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a scrum with helmets seems like it would kill somebody

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

OH MY GOD!

SCRUUUUUUM!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

I thought scrums were what computer touchers were constantly doing I don't think helmets would make that any worse

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jesus WEP posted:

It'd stop rugby forwards having quite so many cauliflower ears though, and surely that's a more pressing issue than traumatic brain injury

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STING 64 posted:

nah, it was vegas vs nj, vegas won 19-0 and just squashed them

However the guy who recovered the ball on that first scramble to decide who was returning separated his shoulder and missed the rest of the season

I sorta wanted the XFL to succeed, not because I like Vince but because 1) gently caress the nfl 2) it'd be funny to see an alternative league succeed after Trump tanked the usfl because he didn't want to avoid direct competition 3) I firmly believe that it would be good for pro football to have options if the nfl won't touch you

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Feels like this is the wrong thread to be discussing the XFL

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, at this point just make an XFL thread.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There's a UFL Thread in the Football Funhouse.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://x.com/DrainBamager/status/1781314636211462531

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Not saying it isn't totally abhorrent to imagine but it is equally unsurprising.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

I guess all the WWE fans are about to #StandupforWWE at the polls. Truly disgusting.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Can the president pardon civil suits?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

Can the president pardon civil suits?

No, the Presidential pardon only applies to federal crimes. Trump could stop the criminal investigation or pardon Vince if he's found guilty, but can't stop a civil suit.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

vince hasnt been charged?? and almost certainly wont be

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

That DICK! posted:

vince hasnt been charged??

That's true.

That DICK! posted:

and almost certainly wont be

That's extremely premature.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

gonna just hold my breath and wait on those Vince criminal convictions to happen

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

No, the Presidential pardon only applies to federal crimes. Trump could stop the criminal investigation or pardon Vince if he's found guilty, but can't stop a civil suit.

Trump could only stop federal charges against Vince as well, not local/state.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Surely TrumpVince can't wiggle his way out of this one!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Endless Mike posted:

The cynical part of me says the law doesn’t matter, corrupt actors are just going to get their way when they have the money to do so.

In a feeble attempt to stay on topic though I DO wonder how many WWE fans would vote knowing it could influence what happens to Vince. Because while taking one very rotten apple out of the bunch won’t solve everything it might be influential on other federations to say “gee, maybe we shouldn’t let this poisonous system of abuse continue.”

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Kenny Omega last night insinuated that Rossy Ogawa, formerly of Stardom, is well known in the Japanese scene to be a pedophile.

Which isn't a surprise given he's previously published gravure books containing talent who were minors, and only this week his new WWE-backed promotion were looking to sign unattached teenagers.

So, uh, does Titan Towers have a quota system for sex pests or something?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

TinTower posted:

Yeah in the company charter I think it says, "All of em!"

bartok
May 10, 2006

Don't know if this is also a general wrestling sex pest thread but in Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire the stunt double for Brian Tyree Henry was Orlando Jordan.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

TinTower posted:

Kenny Omega last night insinuated that Rossy Ogawa, formerly of Stardom, is well known in the Japanese scene to be a pedophile.

Which isn't a surprise given he's previously published gravure books containing talent who were minors, and only this week his new WWE-backed promotion were looking to sign unattached teenagers.

I’m torn.

On one hand, I think vague comments about horrible crimes is an extremely tacky thing to do.

On the other hand, sounds bad.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Trump pardoning Vince would be a disaster for the civil suits because you wouldn't have to even try to prove anything, it would all be a part of settled public record.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

a dumb moron posted:

I’m torn.

On one hand, I think vague comments about horrible crimes is an extremely tacky thing to do.

On the other hand, sounds bad.

There isn't much more you can say when victims don't want to come forward than that. Rossy is someone I assumed was just a loving weirdo and that there were cultural issues in play I didn't understand, but in retrospect I should have listened less to his friends in the Meltzerverse and more to the thought "these photo books are hosed up."

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

MassRafTer posted:

There isn't much more you can say when victims don't want to come forward than that. Rossy is someone I assumed was just a loving weirdo and that there were cultural issues in play I didn't understand, but in retrospect I should have listened less to his friends in the Meltzerverse and more to the thought "these photo books are hosed up."

Yeah that’s why I’m torn. I mean, picture books with underage girls is something in plain sight, and even without vague comments from Omega, is something that should make anyone be like “hey what the actual gently caress.”

Does Rossy even talk to Meltzer? I thought the only guy who talked to Dave was Fumi Saito.

Edit: I should clarify I’m torn about my “hey vague posting isn’t cool” comment. I’m not at all torn on underage girl exploitation and abuse, which is a resounding “do not do that.”

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

a dumb moron posted:

Yeah that’s why I’m torn. I mean, picture books with underage girls is something in plain sight, and even without vague comments from Omega, is something that should make anyone be like “hey what the actual gently caress.”

Does Rossy even talk to Meltzer? I thought the only guy who talked to Dave was Fumi Saito.

Edit: I should clarify I’m torn about my “hey vague posting isn’t cool” comment. I’m not at all torn on underage girl exploitation and abuse, which is a resounding “do not do that.”

Rossy's sidekick hung out on the board and was an obvious source for a lot of Dave's false Stardom reports.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave saying the Marigold dojo guidelines didn't generate and blowback in Japan sure did feel like a fed line from a Rossy loyalist cause while I'm sure it didn't get as much as here it probably 100% did get blowback in places

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

someone should show the recruiting call for unmarried 13 year olds to all the qanon freaks in nxt and ufc

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

MassRafTer posted:

Rossy's sidekick hung out on the board and was an obvious source for a lot of Dave's false Stardom reports.

Man Dave just doesn’t give a poo poo anymore does he?

I like Dave a lot and he was the only game in town for so long, and so much incredible history and stories are in the WON, but geez if you don’t care anymore man just retire ya know? You have nothing to prove, Dave!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

a dumb moron posted:

Man Dave just doesn’t give a poo poo anymore does he?

I like Dave a lot and he was the only game in town for so long, and so much incredible history and stories are in the WON, but geez if you don’t care anymore man just retire ya know? You have nothing to prove, Dave!

He clearly stopped double sourcing a lot of stories so when he says "the reaction in Japan" he probably means the same thing as when he reported every company is in discussions with Riddle, that he talked to Rossy and Riddle (or one of their friends) and they told him that.

Same as when I said when this just started that he should but would not do any digging into the Vince story. Thurston and Pollock broke the identities of the corporate officers by doing a little research and then asking Grant's lawyer. Dave won't do anything like that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The crazy thing is just a short bit later he mentioned Stardom changed its Dojo start age to 18 when Bushiroad bought it which clearly implies there is blowback about starting age in Japan!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
There's absolutely been history of joshi talent scouting minors still in highschool for years. Even stories and rumors about elder joshi promoters and stars forcing the younger trainees into doing things against their will along with the rampant avaliable drugs and alcohol use with some of the minors. Rossy is from that old school joshi era. I don't think proper stardom push back of the bikini photo books started until they qwre putting a starlight kid in them and more western fans were aware

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

he is actually still there

quote:

I love how you're always so vague, because you want something to be true, so badly. And you do not know the guy. Whatsoever.

Yet countless people go out of their way to support him. Jungle, Kairi, Iyo, Unagi, Yuna Manase, Fuka, Momoe Nakanishi, Michiko Ohmukai, Yumi Fukawa, Ai Fujita (who all want their girls to work for him), all the ones that left Stardom to Marigold, all the Stardom members that went to visit him at his house the week he was fired and brought him flowers and food and thanked him for everything, the parents of the kids that were supposedly sexualized (while the parents were present at the photoshoots). Yeah, he's public enemy #1.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Look if some people love and support the guy there's no way that guy could possibly have victimized people. Show me one example of a recent story about a wrestling promotor that disproves this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bunch of new documents popping up on Court Listener today, notably, a response from Vince requesting the case be moved to arbitration citing the NDA he and Janel Grant signed, with a copy of the agreement attached.

EDIT: I'll add links since I have them.

Memorandum in support (basically, Vince's arguments) - https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ctd.157647/gov.uscourts.ctd.157647.30.1.pdf
Attachment (the NDA) - https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ctd.157647/gov.uscourts.ctd.157647.30.2.pdf

CellBlock fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 23, 2024