Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Whenever I watch shows like this I always wish there was a guide that would show me the names and pictures of all the characters, and a dumbed-down guide to how all the various military ranks work and what the jobs are.

I enjoyed the first episode but have two questions When they went on the bombing run they were over the target but couldn't see it for the clouds, but why abort the mission instead of just taking a chance and dropping the bombs when they were sure they were at the right place?
Also, why drop the bombs in the water instead of bringing them back to the base and using them the next time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Lampsacus posted:

a) they weren't close enough to the target yet and it isn't worth the risk of flak when they aren't bombing precisely. b) weight needs to be dropped for fuel reasons. I believe they would have enough fuel to get back with the bombs but it's better math to have more fuel when it's an absolute ungainable resource in the air. Bombs are relatively unlimited when compared to the possibility that that extra fuel may be needed.

That makes total sense, I was thinking perhaps there would be an extra risk if a plane had to land badly with bombs on it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just re-watched Band of Brothers, it is even better than I remembered, but man there are a lot of characters in it. I can probably put names to five faces or so.
I am happy if Masters of the Air focuses on a smaller group of characters.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Why could the bombers we saw take off in the fog, but the other bombers couldn't? It seemed like it screwed up the whole operation.

I'm pretty sure we saw the planes radio each other in a previous episode, but in this one, everyone seemed to rely on visual evidence to see who bailed out and what was going on, did I miss anything?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Cojawfee posted:

While watching the show, I was wondering how often bombers might hit other bombers when trying to shoot down enemy fighters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHczTWkw-c

I was wondering that too, interesting video

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’m re-watching Generation Kill, it’s interesting that all these military shows have in common is that the leaders are all either incompetent or don’t care how many soldiers die to accomplish a mission, and there is no real way to complain about a bad leader.

Also, the military chain of command is incredibly confusing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That was a great episode

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Perestroika posted:

That said, I still suffer from acute goon face blindness and cannot tell anybody apart except for captain handsome, captain dickhead, and Crosby.

Same here, but then again I binged Band of Brothers and The Pacific and each series had the same issue.
Also, the problem is that there are 3 characters who all look like captain dickhead, but the way I tell him apart from the others is that he has a smirk on his face constantly.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is the show meant to be a mini-series or ongoing?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
In my head, I had been thinking of it as an ongoing series as I don't feel like there is some sort of ongoing story or direction to it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I honestly have no idea how the navigator can figure out where the planes are, i'm old enough to remember a time before GPS, but even then I hated maps.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Interesting, thanks!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Arc Hammer posted:

And yet there really aren't that many characters which makes it strange. Outside of Rosenthal, Buck, Egan, Crosby and Barry Keoghan's character I can't really name anyone. They're all so interchangeable you'd think it was part of the point that you don't know the replacement crews at all. Except that BoB did the same thing with Replacements and I can name almost all of them off the top of my head.

I can name Buck and Bucky, and there is the mustache guy with the sick flying skills who looks like Bucky, and the guy who is in England.

But I think BoB and Pacific had the same problems but for different reasons, those two shows had so many characters, and they were constantly covered in grime that at the end I could recognize only 4-5 of them.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i meant it more in the sense of that he's really distinctive looking + snafu is memorably weird in general

Yeah, even wearing a helmet and covered in grime he just looks different than the others.
Also, I really his character journey, he acts like an rear end in a top hat towards all the new recruits, but when he gets to know them he’s actually pretty nice.
I like the scene in the later episodes where Sledge’s (I think) dog dies and instead of being an rear end in a top hat Snafu just consoles Sledge.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
How exactly did the prisoners at the German camps get mail? Did the Germans just openly announce that they had a bunch of prisoners and to forward all their mail to Berlin?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Interesting, I think I was surprised because the other airmen didn’t seem to know whether the downed pilots were dead, prisoners or on the loose.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think all the plane parts of the show have been excellent, I just wish there was more of it, also an actual story.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think the finale did a lot to salvage the show, it's certainly the weakest of the trilogy but it also did a lot of things right, just as The Pacific was superior to Band of Brothers in many ways.
It's not a show I am going to re-watch for the story, but all the air missions were superb.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
How realistic are the medical treatments portrayed in BoB? It feels a little odd for someone to sustain a major wound with a ton of bleeding, and then a shallow bandage on top of several layers of clothes is supposed to help them.
I know that this is the best you can do in the field of battle, but that bandage sometimes felt a bit too effective.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I often find the military world quite strange in these kinds of shows, knowing nothing about it. I kept expecting Winter to request to be degraded or something like that, since he clearly wasn't enjoying his promotion, and his men were suffering from it.

There are also some stories I missed because I sometimes have a hard time keeping track of characters who all look alike and who don't get much character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't think I have the military knowledge to understand the Sobel/Winters storyline. Sobel hates Winters for some reason, enough to want him to get court marshaled when his men protest they get punished while Sobel is shuffled off to another position, and during the end where Winters is the superior officer, Sobel gets a gentle chiding for not saluting him instead of being sent to prison or whatever punishment is normal.