Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

:stare:

Jesus loving Christ......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

That could be true. Also, some of the less flattering characterization from BoB was from the people themselves mischaracterizing other people who weren't able to speak for themselves. For instance, Lt. Dike. He was portrayed as being an incompetent buffoon despite having performed several heroic acts that they didn't tell us about. The show has him breaking under pressure and being unable to command the attack on Foy when, in reality, he had a shoulder wound and was messed up from that. Plus you had people like Winters and Lipton who seemed to just not like him, so they didn't care if they got the facts right.

So I guess it's a double edged sword. If you build a show out of the after action reports, then you can get as realistic depiction of what happened as you can, but maybe you don't get the personality of what happened. And if you build a show off what the survivors say later, you can get a really charismatic depiction, but it can end up slandering real life people. So I can see Apple wanting to play it safe how it depicts people.

I read an interesting interview with an enlisted dude from Easy Company who was field commissioned and became an officer in another company and he said a lot of the stuff in BoB (the book and the movie) was either greatly exaggerated or flat out made up (Speirs running through the German lines in the attack on Foy). He pretty much said there was clique in E Co. and the story was told entirely from their PoV. There was only sentence about him in the whole book and from what I recall it was Winters' opinion that he had watched too many war movies and swore too much.

E: His name is Col. Ed Shames.

Oasx posted:

Why could the bombers we saw take off in the fog, but the other bombers couldn't? It seemed like it screwed up the whole operation.

From what I recall from The Bomber Mafia, LeMay drilled the poo poo out of his crews on instrument flying. So his command (the first dummy attack on Regensburg) had the skills to pull it off, but the rest didn't and had to wait.

I know it's fashionable to poo poo on Malcolm Gladwell, but I really enjoyed The Bomber Mafia, despite thinking he reached exactly the wrong conclusion from his interesting narrative. I came away from the book with even more respect for LeMay and I'm not sure that was Gladwell's intent at all.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 3, 2024

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I remember in my hayday of 90s flight sims (SWOTL will always be #1 in my heart) reading in PC gamer about dudes that played the Das Boot PC game in real-time. They'd do like 3-day long patrols and take naps during it, so these run times aren't a surprise to me at all.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lucasarts games came with amazing books. I still have mine somewhere. Yeah, I adored Finest Hour. Aces of the Pacific was cool, too, even though not Lucasarts.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I loved the juxtaposition of the tropes of the fate of the ball turret gunner and Curtis. In typical Hollywood war movies, a last bit of desperate grit would've gotten the turret open and they'd have escaped at the last second, and Barry would've made a rough landing and pulled his buddy out of the plane. In real life? Nope, they all die exempt "the coward". I hate the term as much as hate The Last Jedi, but to me this is a competent use of subverting expectations.

As far as ditching weight it was standard practice but as stated above each B-17 would've been in different shape depening on things like how badly damaged the engines were, how much extra drag the airframe damage was causing, how much. 50 cal the gunners shot already, how many damaged pieces fell off the plane, how much fuel leaked out from damage to the tanks/lines, etc. First contact was the last time they all had similar fuel loads.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes: In my limited personal experience (OIF I) good leaders were really loving good and hypercompetent in their MOS (especially warrant officers), but bad ones were comically bad and absolutely crushed morale. This was true from squad leaders all the way up to battalion COs. But that said, leadership skill probably falls along a bell curve. Most leaders are just average folks who get things right most of the time, and people don't tend to write books or make movies about them.

What’s up OIF I buddy. I was in 2BCT, 3ID. This is all true and then add on top of that the bias of those telling the story. Band of Brothers and Generation Kill both had authors that were pretty tight with certain participants. I’m sure that unconsciously both paint certain leaders in either very flattering or unflattering lights based on that alone. So as a result you get these either super good or super bad leader tropes onscreen.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

From a few pages ago, regarding inconsistency in German POW camps. Weirdly the services ran camps for their opposition's services. IE, the Luftwaffe generally handled all allied aviation POWs and the Kriegsmarine had a camp for allied sailors they captured. This generally translated to better treatment than Army camps for ground troops, but even they, in general, were treated okay. The still mostly bought into the "knights of the sky" view of aerial combat, at least on the western front. I'm not really sure if they extended that view to Soviet pilots, but could see it going either way.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

God drat, that was a stellar episode of TV.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

My only complaint is that so far they have for the most part not really treated the gunners as people and focused solely on the officers. That might be realistic, though I'm not sure. My grandfather was a gunner on a B-25 in the pacific and he kept in touch with the officers in his crew until he passed away. B-25s had less people too, though.

The song might alienate MAGA viewers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsx8nYOrBsk

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 25, 2024

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

What do you mean by "realistic"? I'm not sure I follow.

Though, yeah, it would be nice if the show did more with its characters, it's been a consistent problem throughout.

Yeah, sorry I could have phrased that better. Maybe it is realistic that the officers didn't spend a lot of time with their enlisted crew members outside of the plane. I don't know how strictly fraternization was enforced in the 8th Air Force compared to today.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i do dislike that the three british men who have had speaking parts have:

criticized the americans for idealism, then tried to punch the americans
criticized the americans for their pronunciation
criticized the americans for being drunk and horny

there couldnt be one cool british guy, like a sassy whiskey drinking spitfire pilot or or a sassy whiskey drinking winston churchill or someone

Dickhead/arrogant commonwealth allies seems to be a common trope in Speilberg/Hanks WW2 projects. See also British tanker in BoB and the rear end in a top hat Aussie dude in The Pacific ("I suspect that's one Yank we don't have to worry about anymore").

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

I do like the more positive interactions between the Americans and the locals, the kids are good at not being teethpullingly annoying, despite being kid actors with British accents. Tommy is cool too; very rare to see that sort of casting in a period piece like this.

Isn't there a line in Memphis Belle from a British woman to one of the Americans, something along the lines of, "My father couldn't stand you Yanks. Until you started dying." I always thought that was a great scene. I really need to watch Memphis Belle again.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

soviet elsa posted:

Buncha posts about how Saving Private Ryan has no Brits in the immediate vicinity of Omaha, and yet in 16 pages of what would make good shows, not one “Red Army but based on Soviet memoirs, not Enemy at the Gates”

If I want to see Russian combat vehicles getting destroyed I just check Twitter.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Shouldn’t the P-51s have jettisoned their drop tanks as soon as they went into the scrum?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Just getting caught up on the thread so here's some stray thoughts.

First, I think it's easy to not remember having trouble keeping characters straight the first time we watched BoB two decades ago versus having seen it a bunch of times and also actors in it becoming more famous afterwards.

Regarding the attitude that Americans won the war by themselves, yeah, sure there are people that think that but also let's not forget about our cultural factory. Of course Hollywood is going to be more interested in making war movies about Americans and those movies are going to be pumped out and around a lot more aggressively than say, a French film about Dien Bien Phu or something.

I don't think MOTA is bad by any stetch but except for episode 6 it's not at the same quality level as BoB or The Pacific (which is the best of the three). Yes, Rami Malek stole every single scene he was in. Him letting Sledge sleep on the train kills me. That said, James Badge Dale's performance is underrated.

Speaking of underrated, Charlie from Girls was incredible in the criminally underrated George Clooney produced Catch-22 series.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

I am almost positive that half-assed poo poo was included solely to head off criticism of the show having an all-white cast, and without the show's creators really caring about the black aviators' stories at all otherwise

This is what I think happened too but wouldn't go as far to say they didn't care. Just trying to shoehorn another storyline into an already bizarre narrative that didn't really have the space for it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Sorry if I a 12 year old bayonets my friend I’m going full Anakin and gonna murder some younglings. gently caress those kids.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

a dingus posted:

I've never heard this before. Is there any evidence for it or is this just goon stupids?

Goons LOVE communism, comrade!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Jesus Christ this is getting really loving stupid. "The way I define efficiency..." get over yourself.
Like, the complaint was an easy and obvious one. If they didn't want to show a massive battle east of the oder, they could have just portrayed what actually happened in the real world, where he landed behind Russian lines after the Russians reached the Oder, instead of in no man's land before. But I guess we now know who appreciates the after school special vibes of eastern front/concentration camps tour the show went for. No need for another multiparagraph essay on how actually the jingoism of the show is totally true, im done with this.

Sorry you're mad that people aren't agreeing that Russia was "by far the most organized and effective Army in the world" because, despite trying to move the goalposts, that was the original claim. Maybe don't want watch American produced shows about American units if you're so offended by failure to capture the glory of the Red Army?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It's like when military movies have embarrassingly bad uniform mistakes that most privates in basic training could've corrected. You could probably find someone to check them for free. Then people always trot out the stupid urban legend that "you have to have one mistake in the uniform or it's illegal."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The Doolittle Raid was the equivalent of Rocky opening up a cut on Drago.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Also, there were a lot of BS stories about German atrocities in WWI (babies on helmet spikes lol) so that probably added to skepticism.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Yeah it’s pretty well known that anyone who experienced real combat doesn’t like to talk about it. It’s traumatic

My grandfather was happy to share stories about the time he ran into his old friend on an island in the middle of nowhere, or how they got to have ice cream the night before a giant battle, but never talked about how two of the ships he was on were sunk and how he spent several days in the water after one

Also lied about his age and joined when he was 16

My grandfather was a gunner on a B-25 in the pacific and the only story he ever told me about the war was how one night they were driving a jeep down the jungle road in New Guinea that was normally clear but they were blacked out and they ran over a big log that almost knocked a few guys out of the jeep. They next day driving back they discovered it had actually been a python.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've been watching more of The Pacific and Leckie's kind of a pretentious little tit, isn't he?

At times, yes, but I liked him more and more every time I watched the series. He is a really well rounded character, as written and as acted. The Pacific lets you see even the "good" main characters be dickheads, in a way BoB does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

A great post.

It's a great show, but god drat it's hard to watch.

I will never forget how viscerally they succeeded in making the audience feel the thirst of the Marines on Pelilue when they were fighting for an extended period of time with no water. And yeah, love the scene where Snafu protects Sledge from crossing that line. The way Sledge zombie-style repeats "Jap germs" while his mind is computing this new information and the tension on Snafu's face while he waits to see if his story worked is just a flawless scene.

There are some scenes from that series that really stuck with me and really hit me in the feels. Spoilered in case people are inspired to watch it for the first time (and they should!)

1. When everyone gets up to salute CPT Haldane's corpse as it comes back down the hill and then Gunny Haney's mind breaks and they have to usher him away.
2. Basilone's widow visits his family, my God, once the emotional glass breaks. And then at the end you see she never remarried.
3. Sledge breaks down while dove hunting. For real, little Timmy Murphy from Jurassic Park was sensational in this series.
4. Sledge's interaction with the mortally wounded woman he mortared on Okinawa. When this episode aired I think I just :stare: at the turned off TV screen for a good 5 minutes after the credits finished.
5. Snafu lets Sledge sleep peacefully instead of saying goodbye. This scene wrecks me every time I see it
Bonus :3: one - Leckie asks out Vera.