Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This started out really solid I think. The air combat looks really good! I did not realize the belly gunner had to get locked into that tiny little ball under the plane. I cannot imagine being stuck in that little thing and coming under machine gun fire, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

LeMay later became chief of staff of the air force, so, probably not much blowback on command.

I don't understand why they did this, though. I mean, you've planned this massive air attack, oh gently caress the majority of them can't get off the ground today... isn't that an easy choice to postpone the mission? I don't understand why the idea of sending only 1/3 of the planes was even on the table.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

He wrote the date on his paper Day/Month/Year, which I think how everyone does it except for Americans because we refuse to make sense with stuff like that.

Okay, this is one area where I have to go to bat for American exceptionalism. MM/DD/YYYY makes more sense. There is a lot of intrinisic information that's conveyed in knowing the month that you don't get if you're putting the day up front. If it's May 5th, then you can glance down and see 05/DD/YYYY and immediately know it's happening in the next few weeks. If you see 12/DD/YYYY, you know that it's not gonna happen for a while, and that you'll probably want to wear a coat. Whereas if you're seeing the day first, then you don't have any useful information unless you keep reading -- you'll see 05/MM/YYYY and won't be sure if it's happening today or not.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Also yeah, I like this show but there is definitely something missing brought about by the dichotomy of the airmens' circumstances. The action scenes are terrifying and gripping and tense, but then they land at the airfield and live practically a peacetime existence with pubs and girls and parties and warm beds. I understand that we can't spend the entire series in the air, but with Band of Brothers or even the Pacific, even the non-battle scenes were more interesting because we get to see the lovely conditions that they have to survive in even when they're not shooting a gun.

I really did like the bit this episode where the shell-shocked airmen are coming back to a room full of shotglasses full of whiskey and cute WAC ladies with big smiles telling them to have all the snacks they want. Such an amazing juxtaposition with what they'd just went through, it must have been really nice to have that bit of normalcy and welcome already prepared for you.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

all i hear is a lot of cope from europeans and european sympathizers who cant figure out a reason im wrong

e: didn't they have to program in something special into spreadsheet programs so when you guys sort by date you don't get a ridiculous list where events on December 2nd show up before events on January 8th?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So what was the big deal with the Norden bombsight? I was watching the third episode again while I was doing chores, and the bombardier even made a big thing about it when they were lightening the plane, he was all pissed they had to throw his baby overboard. I can't tell what it's actually doing, though. I mean, okay, the guy seems to be lining up his little target on the buildings below, but how that all relates to a bunch of bombs falling haphazardly out of the doors I don't understand.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Almost done with a rewatch of the Pacific, and it's astonishing how much better of a show it becomes once Sledge comes on. It spends a lot of consecutive scenes with him and his company as Leckie and Basilone get less and less screentime, so the show actually feels like it has a plot -- showing him as a green recruit getting hazed by Mr Robot, going through his first battle, slowly developing that thousand-yard stare as he sees more and more horrible things. This really could have been just as good as Band of Brothers if they'd based the whole show around him, maybe flesh out another few characters in his company for a little breadth. I don't know why they had to felt they had to follow around the other two at all, the first half was so disjointed that you never really got a feel for where anyone was or what they were going through.

I also think it benefited from the previous scenes we had with Sledge, before he joined the Marines, so we saw him as a regular person being forced to go to war, rather than being introduced to him as a trained soldier. I really think Masters of the Air should have taken the hint and included a training episode like Toccoa from BoB, really helped to get that sense of them as ordinary folks having to do things they'd never dreamed of. I'm also not getting a real sense of the regiment as a band of brothers. I don't know if that's going to be nearly the same thing, though, since they're just hanging out doing their own thing in a well-furnished town rather than digging in the mud together out on the front lines.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

They probably felt like each book wouldn't be able to tell enough of a story. I think it would have been better if they just stuck with Leckie and Sledge. While the story of Basilone is interesting, it feels like they crammed it in there simply because they wanted to put him and Chesty Puller in the show, and that story by itself also wouldn't carry a whole miniseries. If we didn't already have Saving Private Ryan and it's depiction of landing on the beach in Normandy, the makers of BoB might have been tempted to show that as well, simply because it's the one thing everyone knows about Americans in WWII.

And thinking on it some more, while a training episode would have been great for this show, it probably wouldn't let us get to know many people. Based on how many planes and crew have already been lost, and knowing that the 8th took half of the USAAF's casualties, it might not be possible to have a big ensemble that goes through the whole thing like BoB did.

I wondered about that, but it's not like Easy Company starred in all of America's Greatest WWII hits, did they? I'd never heard of Operation Market Garden before the show, and obviously as paratroopers they're not storming the beach. The scenes with Sledge and Mr Robot on whatever godforsaken island were good enough to hang the whole show on, just following around their company more closely and seeing more of the war through their eyes. Especially if you include an officer like Winters who can give more of a larger picture of the war (while still being attached to Sledge's company and not being another random far-flung PoV character).

And I did a rewatch of BoB just before this (Masters of War makes me crave more big-budget WWII stuff lol) and their death toll in Bastogne was something ridiculous too, less than half of the original number came out of those woods. I don't think it would be hard to have introduced us to a bunch of civilian pilots going through training school for the sake of the juxtaposition, and then slowly pare down to the group that survive, while watching all new pilots replace everyone that came before.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

It would be really cool to see some of these on-screen, but I don't expect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtMte4yguZw

He's just so happy he finally got one of those.

...stop eating the candy, steve it's 80 years old

he keeps on eating it

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

grahm posted:

I just got caught up (almost didn't watch past episode 2) and I am surprised by how bad the show is. No character development, bad writing, Austin Butler lol, awful CGI, formulaic episodes. I'm going to finish it at this point but I'm excited to cleanse afterward with Band of Brothers.

I watched Band of Brothers and the Pacific after the first couple episodes and yeah, of the three BoB is by far the best. I think you're being a little hard on this, though, it's a lot better than the Pacific. At least it feels like there's a single throughline following around the 100th.

If I'd never heard of these before and you presented me with all three, I'd assume they started with the Pacific, ironed out some of the kinks with Masters of the Air, and then applied everything they'd learned to create Band of Brothers. As is, it's kinda bizarre that they were never able to reach those highs again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

oh ffs watching it now and the white horse with the bloody patch just walked by and like :dumbbravo:

e: lmao "he who fights monsters should take care not to become a monster" cmon y'all did not earn even a minute of this

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 16, 2024