Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
After the first episode I feel like they rushed through way too much to get to the action. So much was copied from Band of Brothers but not the important stuff like the rapport between the leads or the time spent establishing stakes in training. All the exposition is obvious, characters seem stereotypical at best and the voiceovers are uninteresting. After rewatching Band of Brothers recently I felt like you could remove almost all of the battle scenes and still have an incredible show. The first and last 2 episodes of that series had no action at all and are probably my favorites. This one feels like if you removed the battle scenes you'd have a whole lot of nothing.
I thought the CGI was pretty lousy, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
After watching the second episode I feel that it’s pretty embarrassing how the credits sequence tries to recapture the magic of Band of Brothers with random slow motion and sepia toned images. I never watched the Pacific, but did it do the Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan desaturated grainy look? It just worked so well for the story and helped sell some of the cheapness of the sets or effects in BoB due to it being TV. This show is just so sharp and colorful and it makes it look phony a lot of the time.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

It did, but it was themed around drawing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ahVL4u6rmI

Sorry, I meant the look of the whole show. I was just also noting that the intro for Masters of the Air mimics the look of BoB but not the rest of the show.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Oh I gotcha, sorry I misread. The Pacific did do the washed-out look too, and sometimes it didn't always work. Not giving MotA a pass since it's 14 years later and much more money, but the Pacific had some particularly bad-looking CGI shots:

Yeah, even movies sometimes have bad compositing. I'm usually pretty forgiving of those sorts of things on TV - the Eagles Nest in Band of Brothers had some terrible CGI but it was the background of one scene so who cares. Masters of the Air both has a very clean and bright look to the visuals which makes everything super noticeable and has extensive storytelling through CGI due to it being about planes. The crash in Scotland looked like a cartoon - I felt it had no tension when it should have been an exciting, scary scene.
I feel like I'm just seeing too much in every scene, everything is too defined and sharp. It makes the costumes look weird too.