Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

joepinetree posted:

The good:
- as the everyone else say, the combat scenes
- the attention to detail on the planes

The bad:
- Feels like Austin Butler is acting like a pilot in those 1940s movies about the flying fortresses instead of a pilot of a flying fortress
- Characters are not only super thin, but miss the depth and variety of BoB.
agreed. austin butler+the glossy hollywood cinematography=intentional pastiche of their depiction in war-time media? hard to tell how much is intentional and how much is production making the show have more... general appeal?

I feel like there are moments, like when they just clear the cliff and knock rocks off it that wouldn't have appeared in BoB or the pacific - right? Like, there is much more of an unreality to this miniseries. i'm not sayin the other two weren't dramatized or exaggerated but this feels like a step towards film instead of the pseudo-documentary style that characterized the other two.

I don't know. I love the area of operation/theatre and setting! I recommend both:
Bomber Boys - Fighting Back 1940 - 1945 by Patrick Bishop
Fighter Boys : Saving Britain 1940 by the same author

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Oasx posted:

Whenever I watch shows like this I always wish there was a guide that would show me the names and pictures of all the characters, and a dumbed-down guide to how all the various military ranks work and what the jobs are.

I enjoyed the first episode but have two questions When they went on the bombing run they were over the target but couldn't see it for the clouds, but why abort the mission instead of just taking a chance and dropping the bombs when they were sure they were at the right place?
Also, why drop the bombs in the water instead of bringing them back to the base and using them the next time?

a) they weren't close enough to the target yet and it isn't worth the risk of flak when they aren't bombing precisely. b) weight needs to be dropped for fuel reasons. I believe they would have enough fuel to get back with the bombs but it's better math to have more fuel when it's an absolute ungainable resource in the air. Bombs are relatively unlimited when compared to the possibility that that extra fuel may be needed.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

blue squares posted:

My Dutch grandparents got married in 1944 or 45, and her wedding dress was from paratrooper silk
"You've been lugging that since Normandy."
"Gonna send it home to Bonnie."

(quoted from memory, likely wrong)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Hey, this guy was all over an episode!

gosh BoB is so good. The problem is I've seen it so many times. No, actually that isn't a problem. Time for a rewatch rewatch! Actually the problem is I, like no doubt many of you, can just say the lines before they are said haha

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

joepinetree posted:

In terms of WW2 TV shows, if anyone is trying to scratch that itch, I'd check out World on Fire. A tad too melodramatic at times, and certainly not the best visual effects, but it does tell a decent story.
Oh thank you for this ^^ haven't heard of it!
I'd chip in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_War

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

New episode out. I really liked this one. It had a lot of brutal action, can't imagine what it was like to be on this mission.
hell yeah can't wait to watch it after work yo!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm only 6 minutes into e3 but had a little thought and this is the place to share them.
This show is extremely my poo poo in a few ways, but aside from that unconditional love, I do think its emulating BoB and sort of merely a copy of a copy of it. Which is fine because, quite frankly, it's 2024 and everything is a copy of a copy of a copy and its all been done before better and if this is what we get then fine.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 2, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

Reading the book, one story it told was of a crew that made a pact that if they went down they'd do it together. During a later mission their plane was going down and one gunner who joined after the pact was made jumped out and said that the rest had stayed on the plane because the ball gunner was stuck and they wouldn't leave him.
Masters of Air book or another?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I get a little confused about when the release time is, because I'm in the outer badlands of the south Pacific, but I'm assuming its in the next number of hours! excited!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

I believe it drops on Fridays US time, so if you're around Aus/NZ like me then it'll be on Saturday.
hell yeah!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

Did the German infiltrator rat himself out by singing the US anthem like he'd rehearsed it, while the other two were obviously working from long-term memory?
there were a few tells. yes he did sing the anthem rehearsedly, he also got a word wrong AND his accent slipped up a few times (even at the end when he said ja-eah to the lighter).

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

the difference in dates rule because in a depiction of ww2 you get to see a nazi get shot in the face

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ja-yeah!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Laterite posted:

I don't know what it is but this show is really doing it for me.
Yeah same. Just a bit sad it's only 9 eps, not 10. And it's overtly padded by intro, etc. more Good content for me please 🥺

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

rewatching the pacific e01 and the alligator creek battle 36 minutes in is so dark and dimly lit its actually really effective. you can't see much, just flashes of tracers and moving bodies in the bushes. it makes me feel like masters of the air is not only sleek and slightly overcooked with its hollywood visuals, but hasn't really depicted anything in an incoherent or chaotic manner yet. everything is as clear as possible, which i guess makes sense given how unclear and confusing this theatre could potentially be to depict. so they course correct. still, the pacific is its own thing with its own editing problems, but i'm enjoying th contrast with masters of air :D

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I just did a rewatch of the pacific as well and its interesting to think back on.
-some really great jump edits where you go from civilian life to the horrific battlefield.
-lots of great character detail and texture. lots of little, incidental moments that helped make Band of brothers good too.
-favourite eps: 3 (australia), 6 (peleliu airfield), 8 (iwo jima), 9 and 10. the send off in 10 is good and bittersweet. sob.
-like BoB you have some incredible acting by bit-part one shot actors. everybody from the intelligence officer to the ladies and chaps back home in america + australia.

i do recall the reception was pretty mixed. in retrospect, i'm just grateful we got a pacific theatre miniseries :)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

yeah i wonder if they could have leaned into the fragmentation a bit more. like, each episode has a brand new primary cast and island/setting. then you could have characters appear in the background of other eps, playing tertiary roles, maybe having some small crossovers. i guess they could save that idea for the 2039 sequel miniseries: set in the ???? theatre!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Laterite posted:

Ages ago there was a UK miniseries called Piece Of Cake, about a RAF squadron during the Battle of Britain, that I recall being pretty good, at least when I was 11-12 or however old I was when it aired in the US.

Looks like it's on YouTube at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33VpQsI2gPw
amazing thank you. somehow this balances the universe by providing about 5 extra hours of content i feel we're missing (not owed) from MotA.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

As a kid I devoured every published journal and memoir of POW camps and I am HERE for this next ep :D
i was racking my brain to think 'did i ever come across the two bucks in my childhood reading hmm' i cant recall
Especially Colditz ones haha! this was my favourite: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26570157-padre-in-colditz

the funny one about colditz ones is you had so many POWs writing diaries of the events you got to read about the same drat incidents again and again from every single angle. I feel my lens of ww2+allied airmen was first just all these books and I will forever have love for the setting. hell yeah. now as an 'adult' i'm currently reading Rat King by James Clavell (which is semiautobiographical and is about a POW camp in the East)

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 23, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I can't help but think the Tuskegee Airmen inclusion is just a teaser for a series that'll never see the light of day or be scheduled to debut in 2051 or something.

It's interesting how the show gets better the *less* they rely on the inexcusably sub-par CGI.
Yeah this season is screaming passed. Its like we've just started to get to know these mofos. And I can't tell if its because BoB has embedded its tropes in our heads after 20 years of rewatches or if its something in MotA's writing. Or maybe the masks? Who is to say!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The cool Commonwealthers will be the kiwi boys. "75 (NZ) Squadron was engaged constantly against Germany from 1940 to VE day. The squadron flew more sorties than any other heavy bomber squadron in Bomber Command and lost the second most aircraft of Bomber Command.[11] The highest Commonwealth award for valour – the Victoria Cross – was awarded to Sgt J A Ward for climbing out onto the wing of a Wellington he was second pilot of, when on an operation over Europe, in an attempt to put out an engine fire. Although badly damaged by enemy fighters' canon shells, the aircraft managed to return to its base"

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It honestly feels like the length was shortened by covid or austarity measures at Apple tv or something. The total length of the series minus intros and 'next time' trailers has to be ----
like averagely 40 mins at episode * 9 = 6 hours. Which is basically half that of the pacific and BoB. geghhhh at least we have shogun at the moment

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^ That is true. And interesting info on the writing situation too. I mean, I could be wrong but feel I first heard about this show in like... 2010?? 2014?? it could have been released in any given year between then and now and been a completely different show depending on which year it was released.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

This miniseries should have been 14 episodes.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The way storylines were dropped makes me feel this was scripted for viewings to tv executives.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

yeah echoing the above posts, 100% this season displays visible and explicit signs of being in development hell.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I bet Gatwa had like, one scene, and then when he was cast as, or well received, as ol docky who they used every last .mp4 in which he appears. Hence weird cuts like the one where he is listening to the mission brief or whatever.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I just realised we are living in a television dark age, which follows a golden age. It tries to ape but it's going to take another paradigm shift in order for tv to be good again.

I'm sorry if this post sounds dramatic, it must be the influence of the masters of the air music score.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Cool! See you all in another fourteen!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ahh don't make me watch BoB again for what must be literally the 40something time. Yes! Cowboy, fricking acted by Andrew Scott!! "Scott has described the working atmosphere on Band of Brothers as "awful"."😔

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Fantasy future seasons (assuming they are good haha):
Eastern Front
Burma
Desert Rats (I know, I know there is that series)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Well written, Jerusalem.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

He should have done it a long time ago, would have saved us all this trouble.

Or something like that! god band of brothers is so good. why couldn't MotA be that good :( i know pacific had mixed reception when it aired but has now been reappraised better. i wonder if, somethow, MotA will also be seen as better in years to come. ahh i'm just trying to keep a false hope alive.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I think they were French soldiers, who, understandably, really did not like the Germans.

Also the Webster yelling at the marching prsioners is good in illustrating the advantage the western allies had over the Germans; you have horses! What were you thinking!?

The Germans never had enough trucks and logistics vehicles so they still used horses to move stuff around, even in the early and mid war when the Reich was at its height of power.
Yeah I felt they were French. But I'm no expert on ww2 uniforms and they didn't have any visible insignia but they felt French??
I rewatched Why We Fight last night and jesus christ what a well edited episode. Maybe its just that I'm in my 30s and not a teenager (like when i first would watch and rewatch BoB) or maybe its because Masters of the Air is so NOT well edited (in comparison) but yeah. There are so many moments that just breathe. Not every interaction between characters is overtly for the plot. And the way Nixon and the fancy lady have these two incredible bookmarked moments without any dialog is just mwah. Having Liebert (sp?) translate and tell the Jews they have to go back in their cages felt a little forced for the emotional moment - like,,, couldn't Winters have found anybody else to translate? And if he was the only one in the company/present that could speak German,,, that feels like an oversight considering they are now in Germany. Regardless, a beautiful episode, a fantastic simple flashforward framing device and some tremendous acting by Ron Livingston Nixon vat 69 guy

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

At least in the context of the show (not sure how many spoke it in real life), only two members of Easy were fluent in German: Liebgott and Webster, and Webster was currently off threatening the shopkeeper while they confiscated the food.
There is this great moment in the German town street set piece where Webster is in the background milling around and he enters centre stage for about two seconds practically mugging the camera. Speaking of which, this episode really reminded me how much they utilized the ensemble cast in the background of scenes. You have the shortest glimses of characters and its great.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also, the West knew
good post in entirety. and yeah they did. i feel the holocaust story beat in both BoB and MotA serves to fortify the fallacy of west ignorance. which feels very hollywood/american to still include and its always demostrated through the protags showing shock on their faces as well as disgust/sadness.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

skooma512 posted:

He was the S-2, or intelligence officer. While I was doing a fact check, I saw he became the operations officer after Market Garden.

And yeah, I was stoked for MoA to be about you know, the bombers, and then it became a POW show. I've said before ITT it was kinda cool to get a POW story since it hadn't been done in probably decades, but I thought this was going to be about the bombers.

I'm sure many posters excited about MoA played the 2000 game B17 Mighty 8th, did anyone else play the 2002 Codemasters game Prisoner of War? You were a bomber crew member that got shot down and ended up in POW camps and had to sneak around to gather stuff in order to escape.
I didn't realize he became an operations officer, so i'm still learning new things about BoB too huh. Also, i think one of my favourite things about MotA is that, for the briefest few seconds, we got an Eastern Front BoB show : p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

yip can almost quote that scene off by heart like everybody else whose seen this show a billion times. but in my mind he was just demoted to a lower ranking officer.

re: eastern front, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP_Z7Li3VM4 i love this and i wish we will get a full 10 parter of the eastern front one day (impossible dream)