Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
All this could be easily avoided by just fictionalizing the name of the units and soldiers and saying 'inspired by' or whatever, it might not be 100% accurate but the nerds can go read the book if they're interested and it opens the door to better drama and prevents slandering dudes who had the balls to go into war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

XYZAB posted:

I thought that one crew chief was going to set those kids on fire by accident what with the fast and loose gasoline pouring and little girl wearing what looked like a burlap sack.

this would be a significant twist for a spielberg product

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
had the chance to watch the second episode in HD on a regular television and :wtc: even the mess hall scenes look like they're composited together. covid surely can't have prevented them from sitting in a hut in a field outside of norwich.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
much better episode, only really bad cg shot was when they ditched the ball turret, rip punchy new york guy

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Cojawfee posted:

When they did that I thought "They got the guy out of there first, right?"

well they saved an extra 150lbs by bolting the door shut, and they'd already picked up an extra 20lbs of entrails on the wing

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i hope there's some blowback on command because knowing that 2/3rds of the troops involved in the super-complicated never-been-done-before plan weren't going to be there and figuring 'gently caress it let's roll' anyway seems a little irresponsible

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

those planes cost a lot!!!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i also don't get the reading that buck is hyper comepetent, he seems to be scared and fronting more than anything

when he grabs his copilot and screams "we're just going to sit here and take it", he doesn't radiate cool leadership, he just seems to be justifying this incredibly lovely situation to himself

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Jerusalem posted:

Entirely possible I'm just reading the intended portrayal wrong, absolutely. The character just bugs me I guess :shrug:

its austin butler

the dude is handsome squidward in a bomber jacket

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe they should have written Hitler a letter to have his planes fly slower so we could get a better look at them in a TV show 80 years later.

they did, hitler was a pro tier troll and strapped a jet engine to a plane instead

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
it's hard to build suspense about your main character maybe getting ned starked in episode 4 when there's footage of him freezing in a POW camp in the intro

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
my favourite part of the pacific was when sledge and snafu took a few weeks off and wrote bohemian rhapsody

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

mcmagic posted:

I'm only capable of paying like 65% to this show but did they kill Elvis offscreen?

i mean elvis: the movie killed elvis offscreen so there's precedent

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
speaking of greyhound, is it recorded in history that germans would paint easily identifiable and improbably massive evil symbols on their submarines and then taunt americans with wolf noises?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Cessna posted:

For the most part U-boat insignia was pretty dopey:

greyhound would have been a lot better if it was the snowman submarine and they taunted the americans with "Vott killed ze dinosaurs, greyhound? ZE ICE AGE!!!!!"

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
its remarkable how much better this show is when its Hunks Having a Bad Time in Planes and not Hunks Having Feelings on the Ground

which looks like what we're getting next week

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
jesus, how much lead was in the paint?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
one thing that occurred to me on a rewatch of the latest episode - waiting for the lead bomber to drop their bombs. Is the bombardier in the lead plane responsible for aiming the entire formation's bombs, and the other bombers just drop blindly assuming that because they're in position they'll hit the target area? Or is every bombardier taking individual aim and they're just waiting for permission to drop out of some sort of protocol?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

THF13 posted:

There's a eastern theater crew who were known to go out of their way to do pretty much exactly that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iuq3Wfz3RA

oh god a white guy covered in norse tattoos

the algorithm's going to be recommending me pro-rhodesia videos for the next six months

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i love it when steve1989mreinfo pops up in the wild

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
these fuckin masters of the air didn't go in the air at all this episode!!! what the gently caress!!! i want my money back!!!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i do dislike that the three british men who have had speaking parts have:

criticized the americans for idealism, then tried to punch the americans
criticized the americans for their pronunciation
criticized the americans for being drunk and horny

there couldnt be one cool british guy, like a sassy whiskey drinking spitfire pilot or or a sassy whiskey drinking winston churchill or someone

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Masters of the air + shogun is a night of quality television the likes of which i never thought id see again

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the pacific had the huge advantage of rami malek being one of the main characters

no mistaking him, and if he's on screen then the other dude is sledge by default

then there's... knock-off jon bernthal, writer guy...?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Malek hadn't really hit it big yet. Mr. Robot was still a ways off. His biggest claim to fame before then had been playing the Pharaoh in the Night at the Museum movies.

i meant it more in the sense of that he's really distinctive looking + snafu is memorably weird in general

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

KTS posted:

You mean along with actual Jon Bernthal?

man they shoulda reversed those castings

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

SuperTeeJay posted:

“Masters of the Air” is an odd title for a show about bomber crews being slaughtered.

i mean they've only been in the air in 3/7 episodes so far

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
alright the tuskegee bombing scene looked like absolute poo poo

ive been convinced theyve been saving their budget for something big, but with dday done in 8 seconds im starting to realise maybe the cg is just bad

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
still lolling that they did this but for d day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR_Dx0PIvwc&t=44s

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
my favourite bit was when cros did an abyss gazes also speech wondering if hes as bad as the nazis because he shoved someones face into scrambled eggs

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Buck, Bucky, Rosenthal, Crosby, spy chick, wrench bro…

egg face, baby face, shot down blonde guy who left baby face, tuskegee 1 (loves america), tuskegee 2 (loves drawing), tuskegee 3 (bad neck), london ineedamanski

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Justin Credible posted:

Man alive I thought that morose babyface was gonna do the most quoted line with the Abyss. So he says a slightly less known/parroted one and I'm like.. hmm, bad but better than the alt.. oh. You're just going to say them both on top of each other. God drat it's so badly written lmao

I mean props for the actor doing his best delivering it but jfc get one tenth of a percent of a clue here writers

in one draft i'm certain rosie came back with something like "interesting that you quote nietzche. i'm reminded of a quote by the brilliant jewish physicist einstein..."

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

jisforjosh posted:

This thread is my solace. I'm in a BoB/The Pacific group on FB that's primarily for memes and I feel insane with how much love the show is getting

the two episodes where the masters of the air do stuff in the air are legitimately great

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
weren't nazi rations basically meth + crackers

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

loving michael fassbender was in band of brothers?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Previously in the movie I thought it was trying to somewhat subvert all that stuff and show Fury's crew as cynical survivalists who didn't really care about being True American Heroes and would in fact loot, rape, murder prisoners, torture people, and shoot children in their quest to survive this maniacal war. Then at the end they just commit suicide.

It absolutely doesn't land it, but I think Fury is trying to do something like that, what with all the 'best job I ever had' stuff. The crew are complete gently caress ups who recognize they don't belong anywhere else (see the egg scene) and choose to stay and die with the tank because they know - particularly after everything they've seen and done - they won't fit in anywhere else ever again.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
my biggest question about hacksaw ridge was how 300lb middle aged vince vaughn managed to haul his fat rear end up those ropes on the cliff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
masters of the air: the show where we talk about the holocaust on the ground