Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well the early reviews I read weren't very positive so I put it off while I was watching something else. Caught up just now after running out of other backlogged shows. And sadly, it's not great. Yes I did watch all the episodes anyway lol.

I didn't come close to puking like the Ars reviewer but I thought it way weaker than BoB or even the Pacific. The CGI is unfortunate but the biggest problem for me was the overall structure and pacing of the show. I don't know the source material so no idea what they've done with that.

I suspect that some issues are just fundamental to what they were trying to cover. There aren't many flying B-17s so everything has to be CG, the missions, from what can be shown on TV, are very repetitive - fly over Germany, get flak, fighters, gunners shoot at them in the distance, some planes get shot down. Rinse, repeat. Very high casualties so you don't get to know or care about anyone.

Still, there were also some poor decisions on their part that didn't help. Spending some time in training could've let them have some TOPGUN shenanigans to get us invested in the characters, the spy lady that was only doing spy poo poo for two scenes, the escape from Belgium, the Tuskegee Airmen, etc. IMO they should've either expanded them to take most of an episode or dropped the subject. Also all the time skips and skipping over some of the major milestones. Like they could've done something about D-Day, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I recently (well, like 2 years ago) read the crazy long Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer (the audiobook, which is an insane 50ish hours long if I remember right) and while there is A LOT to take in, one of the things I remembered most vividly from going through it is just how much that big German business was TOTALLY loving cool with the Nazi party and supported them.

As for the German people at large, when I was younger I gave them more of a benefit of the doubt- they were subjects of an evil regime and had also been through some wild poo poo post-WW1, so maybe they were kind of just victims versus a majority playing an active part. As I've gotten older and (sadly) seen a rise in nationalism/extremism and see how easy it is for various groups of people to be vilified and just how many people are actually totally cool with it....I'd assume a good portion of the population either agreed with the Nazi way of doing things or at the very least didn't necessarily disagree with a lot it. As long as it was happening to "those people" (whatever group a person may of disliked, for whatever reason), it was probably ok.

As someone who has always been fascinated with the interwar time period and done a good bit of reading/studying on it in regards to how the world went kinda batshit crazy, it's pretty scary seeing a lot of political rhetoric going on today that harkens back to it.
It's been over a decade since I've read Rise and Fall but yeah it's great. One I read more recently that is relevant is "They Thought They Were Free" where the author interviewed a bunch of regular Germans in a small town in Hesse. I don't recall any of them being enthusiastic nazis but they were all cool with it and didn't think Hitler was that bad.

quote:

The interviewees had the following occupations: baking, cabinetmaking, clerking at a bank, collecting of bills, police, sales, studying, tailoring, and teaching. Walter L. Dorn of the Saturday Review wrote that the interviewees were from a pro-Nazi bloc that was the "anti-labor, anti-capitalist, and anti-democratic lower middle class".[2] The tailor had served a prison sentence for setting a synagogue on fire, but the others were never found to have actively attacked Jewish people.[2] Mayer read the official case files of each interviewee.[5]

What I took away from all is that yeah most of them were complicit, but it's hardly unique to the Germans and as we've seen since countless times since then, pretty much anyone is capable of of doing or letting poo poo like that happen.

E:

D-Pad posted:

I need to rewatch Generation Kill. That show did not get nearly enough love for how good it is.

It's awesome. Way better and more enjoyable to watch than this. A big part of that is likeable (mostly) characters that you get to follow the entire time imo.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 9, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They very much were though