Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I wasn't foolish enough to expect them to recapture the lightning in the bottle that BoB was. I'm enjoying this a lot so far, but it definitely feels more like a modern Apple TV show than the old HBO series. Not necessarily a bad thing, just slightly different. It's still got the staples I love though.

Eagerly awaiting the next episode, and probably going to get the steelcase DVD set for this once it finishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

XYZAB posted:

I thought that one crew chief was going to set those kids on fire by accident what with the fast and loose gasoline pouring and little girl wearing what looked like a burlap sack.

Your expectations for this miniseries are wild.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I am very, very interested in the downed guy in Belgium trying to make his way back to England though, hope that gets some time.

Oh we will. I knew that they'd shove some sort of ground war plot into the series to balance out all the air war stuff happening, and our guy stumbling into the resistance seems to be the ticket for that.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Okay I understand the complaints against the CG now, because yeah I watched that B17 go down and thought "huh that doesn't look all that natural." It's still a very minor distraction to me from everything else going on though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

Was I supposed to know why the new CO guy from a few episodes back “isn’t like the other” COs because he had a zippo on his desk? I feel like I missed something there and it was bugging me.

The zippo being in pristine condition is what stood out to me.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I can't complain if americans being dumb means more dead nazis. Same I can't fault Guarnere too much for lighting up that horse patrol.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Not sure what it is, but yeah I was legit surprised I was reading "EPISODE SIX" at the top of the episode. Feels like it should've been 4 of 10 or so. But yes I can't hold it up to expectations of pacing set by an over two decade old HBO series.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i do dislike that the three british men who have had speaking parts have:

criticized the americans for idealism, then tried to punch the americans
criticized the americans for their pronunciation
criticized the americans for being drunk and horny

there couldnt be one cool british guy, like a sassy whiskey drinking spitfire pilot or or a sassy whiskey drinking winston churchill or someone

This would hamper the illusion of America Won WW2 that Amblin always clutches to.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

"The thing I have nostalgia for is amazing, anything new in comparison is absolute trash" is an annoyingly common attitude with any form of media.

Maybe it's the enshittification of everything in the world that's causing people to cling to everything from the past and reflexively reject anything new. :shrug:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I think i remember seeing somewhere the hard deck for a fighter bailout in 1945 was about 1000 feet, the chutes probably had a 200-300 foot drop from pull to full canopy..

I'm glad goons aren't in charge of adapting historical accounts into cinematic experiences.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Where was the denouement? I hate to compare this series to BoB, but the stark contrast between Points and this finale is hard to ignore.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The book itself is kinda messy as its more of a history of the bombing campaign versus a cohesive story narrative, and then you have the development hell issues of the show on top of it.

I feel like this is the actual issue for the most part. The actual accounts simply do not lend themselves to as much of an engaging plot as the story of easy company.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's no wonder HBO passed on this. Apple TV certainly got what they wanted, though, which is ~:20bux: of my money.

Is this actually how it went down? HBO was presented with a third amblin WW2 series a decade later, and they denied it being produced based on the quality of the premise? I suppose it's possible, but it seems a bit farfetched with how I understand media works these days.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 15, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

So I guess with the relatively wet fart of the back half of MotA, this is just going to turn into a general Playtone/Amblin WW2 series thread right? I'm overdue for a Pacific rewatch.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

An enemy at the gates based on the book would be great. There's way more going on besides the sniper duel and also maybe set some ideas about the way the soviets fought the war straight?

Lol no way, there aren't any Americans to wax poetic about the war there.

Just do the Sniper Elite thing of making the protagonist be an american OSS agent planted into the eastern front for reasons. But I guess that would be fictionalizing accounts too much for a Playtone/Amblin thing.

My bet would probably be on the italian campaign too, if we're lucky enough to get a fourth series. That or boat stuff.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe get some professional help if your solace is misery?

It's been a long time since we've had a Playtone/Amblin WW2 series, and sheer production goes a long way to creating an enjoyable entertainment product. I feel like it had a decently promising first half, but fell apart a bit as it got into all sorts of weeds in the back half. I don't think the end sum of it all is bad, but it definitely fumbled the ball a bit. I had relatively leveled expectations going into it compared to others though, I feel.

Some people are just happy to watch nazis getting their end, myself included. Maybe there wasn't enough of it with this series, but I'll still take what I can get.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The joke is that everyone had some sort of cameo in BoB. Simon Pegg, Jimmy Fallon, Tom Hardy...

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's weird to think about a "weakest" BoB episode because they're all so good in their own ways. The different directors, writers, and character focus of each episode is so entirely on point.

It almost feels like an anthology of mini WW2 movies, but it's all connected chronologically to easy company, the band of brothers.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 23, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

This is almost the WW2 Amblin thread now isn't it?

Yeah it basically is now. And I guess generation kill counts as an honourable WW2 amblin series for this purpose.

Been too busy to start my pacific rewatch, but it's not like I'm not gonna be making my own Jerusalem posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Works for me, with SPR essentially being a prototype for amblin ww2 series.