Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Flikken posted:

Anyone know which mission they were previewing for next weeks episode? I kind of want yo read up on it

I see the 100th bomb group was in the Regensburg part of the famous 8/17/1943 Schweinfurt/Regensburg raid. I bet that’s what’s happening in episode 3.

There are many places to read about the mission, and it is horrific.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/schweinfurt-regensburg-raid-august-17-1943

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

mistermojo posted:

the writing and acting is frankly terrible. its like everyones painfully aware theyre in a Band of Brothers spinoff

Username/replyUsername combo

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

All along OP was thinking of the scene from Battle of Britain (1969) when a Polish pilot is shot down, and greeted with pitchforks when he says in heavily-accented English, “Good Afternoon!”

And old boy is like “Good Afternoon my rear end! Get yer hands up!” whilst people in the background gather up his parachute silk.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

"The bombers will always get through!" they screamed.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm watching SAS Rogue Heroes

This is a great watch.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I assume they didn’t spend a lot of time characterizing a lot of the people because a large number of them are going to die.

Take a look at the IMDb cast page for the show. The cast is enormous and many are in just one or two episodes.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

This doesn't necessarily mean anything. I don't know if Apple just doesn't let people know who is in what episode or what but there have been some shows where a person is only listed as being in two episodes because only two episodes have aired and then they showed up a bunch later.

Ok, that is fair.

But IMO we can all be sure we’re going to see a lot of these characters die.

I haven’t read any of the books they based this on, so I don’t know any spoiler stuff. But we’ve all seen the numbers, the losses from daylight bombing.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There has been a lot of hate directed at the CG. I can see the shortcomings, and I also really like the show.

So it pains me to add to that something that’s probably just a criticism of choices/animation.

I feel like the attacking German fighters are often animated too fast. The head-on passes, yeah for sure they’d whip by in a blur. But some of the passes that are more from 10 o’clock and others from more astern show the 109s/190s just going too fast IMO.

There is some still-extant period footage of what this looked like, from a gunner’s position.

Okay, there, I said it. Just had to get it out. But I really *am* enjoying the show.

WWII aircraft and aircraft history are totally my thing and I’m happy we are getting this now.

e: I am thinking a large bombing group is probably traveling at ~200 mph, at least after they reach the Initial Point?

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 5, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Stegosnaurlax posted:

They weren't particularly fond of the alison engines or the the american radial engines

WHAT?!?!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This has so far been the equivalent of the Pacific Australia episode.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I know bailing out and escaping was always going to be a part of the story.

So was the base life of these characters, what did they during the majority of their time while not on missions.

But my immediate reaction is there was too much of all this. And after elevating things up to eleven last episode, I felt like this was a real dropoff.

The main thing that happens in the air this episode is something we never see. Instead, we see crew members talking about it afterwards.

The coach/gametime/players going down codetalk or analogy didn’t work either, for me.

I will have to watch it again and reabsorb it all but I feel like this one was just not good overall, right now.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I rewatched this one after reading the last few posts and the good points made ITT, and I liked it quite a bit more the second time around.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

XYZAB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XnvlmcBiAk

This guy basically goes into way more detail than any sane person would care about re: what they got wrong in episode 3. Which I appreciate.

This is basically a vindication of what the show has presented, saying only that they got some of the attachments to the tips of the barrels wrong

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I enjoyed the Leckie and Basilone stories but without a doubt, Sledge’s story is the heart of the show.

I also enjoyed
Sledge’s book, and remember it having a great effect on me, though it’s been a very long time since I’ve read it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BoB just lent itself so much better to narrative storytelling. Following the same group of guys from training under a martinet to their first combat jump and all through the war, it just can’t not work.

The fragmented storytelling of the pacific does hurt it in comparison, but as previously mentioned, it all picks up seriously when Sledge joins.

His arc is the main one of the series and the heart of the show; his experience from naive boot to salty veteran, followed by his postwar stuff, is heartbreaking.

I felt kind of let down by The Pacific when it first aired, but on repeated viewings I began to view it as a story of the effects of war on the individual (as told in three cases), as opposed to the effects of war on a group.

The Pacific works much better if you view it with that lens IMO.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SA website Masters of the Air thread devolves completely into hypothetical chat about what other series would be better.

Here’s why that’s bad for Joe Biden (1/76)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Someone on Reddit (I know…) just posted that it was believed that not painting the B-17s would make them faster, but actually the opposite resulted— it made the bombers slower because the paint had “…made the planes more aerodynamically efficient by filling the rivet dimples and reducing drag”

Is there any truth to this? I know I’ve got a couple of books about fighters and fighter pilots that claim not painting them in the latter part of the war did actually add something like 4-5 mph to top speed, simply due to the lower weight.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, it did not sound right to me at all either.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve been trying to find the book where these figures were cited and not having any luck.

But as I recall, it said painting a P-47 generally added ~120 lbs of weight, depending on the camo scheme.

I could be off on that, I’m quoting this from memory and I am old.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

And in the pacific, the Navy and Marine Corps fighters were painted until the end.

I know late-model Thunderbolts and P-38s fought over there near the end of the war, and I think I remember some of them being unpainted.

Perhaps that was late-war US Army Air Corps regulations ported over to the Pacific, whereas the USN and USMC never changed theirs?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Laterite posted:

Ages ago there was a UK miniseries called Piece Of Cake, about a RAF squadron during the Battle of Britain, that I recall being pretty good, at least when I was 11-12 or however old I was when it aired in the US.

Looks like it's on YouTube at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33VpQsI2gPw

It’s a great show, I have it on dvd!

They had five or six Spits, although in the book Eagle Squadron flew Hurricanes, and they had three of the 109 Buchons.

They did reuse some footage from the 1969 BoB film, but overall Piece of Cake is great. Squadron Commander Rex, the one other pilot who’s a real dickhead, and a couple of others were good characterizations.

Ray Hannah flew a Spitfire Mk IX under a bridge for a shot in the film.

I also liked how in this last episode of Masters, during the opening briefing they said “we believe the neighborhoods around the factories are occupied by factory workers, therefore gently caress them and their families.”

Glad they aren’t shying away from that aspect of this.

e2: also a little chute-shooting, :nice:

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 19, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Haha yeah, the one who decides to start flying his plane upside down during the Battle of Britain.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My knowledge of that is limited to the 1970s tv show Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Because of this I believe it was the other way around… the aircraft crew chief was the one who beat the poo poo out of the pilots.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Poor Simon.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Snafu just disappeared and nobody heard from him for decades.

He finally showed up at a unit reunion sometime in the 70s I believe.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just LOL that we have a three day timeskip because dude was asleep

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In a shocking but award-winning twist in the final episode, the story is suddenly now told only from the POV of the Germans.

It ends when the last of the four Jagdflieger co-protagonists is one-shot through the canopy. Instant cut to black and then twenty seconds of silence, followed by the credits.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Always interested in warbird restorations!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

HBO also made a killing off the sales of BoB DVDs, while sales of the Pacific were much lower.

It may be that with as much money as HBO spent on The Pacific, they took a bath on the series, which helped to put them off this one.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This was the video I was remembering when I posted last night.

I’d give a tl;dw summary but it’s been a while since I watched it as well, and I can’t watch ATM.

This is all this guy’s speculation, but from what I remember, the conclusion is that it certainly does appear that they lost millions on The Pacific.

https://youtu.be/rv6SpXvqZU0?si=-QfXWlO-JDK5O5_i

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I suspect they totally rewrote episodes 6-8 at some point during development hell, when they had executives or new writers saying “We should show the POW camp, work a romance in somewhere,” etc.

And perhaps the original plan for episodes 6-8 had a bunch of the stuff we’re talking about, that we would have liked to have seen.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I hate to jump on the dogpile here.

I watched the final episode earlier today. And while WWII aircraft, mainly fighters, are totally my jam, it just kind of left me cold.

Too many cooks standing over the pot on this show.

It made me start rewatching BoB. And I know it’s a very unfair comparison, but man Masters just completely shrivels and pales next to just the first two BoB episodes.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So am I, I’d definitely be down for that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I swear if you spend enough time at airshows or watching videos with great audio quality, you can hear some slight difference between the Spitfire Merlin and Mustang Merlin.

Perhaps something to do with the exhausts. Or maybe it’s just my imagination.

Of course, with them knowing their general location, I suppose they likely wouldn’t have expected any Spitfires to be there.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Entire episode about the dude who is an officer working at the tank repair depot, who becomes convinced that Shermans are FLAMING DEATHTRAPS

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Private Smith, so very weary
Cracked an eye, all red and bleary

Grabbed his rifle and did not tarry
Hearing Floyd, but seeing Jerry

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I remember when The Pacific aired, there was a tie-in book with the same name that was meant to be a kind of supplement to the show.

It’s an oral history of the USMC in the Pacific, broken into four parts.

1) veterans talking about what their lives were like before Pearl Harbor

2) induction and training

3) the war

4) their lives after the war

It was in the fourth section that I read something that’s stuck with me ever since, and it has everything to do with the nature of the war in the pacific, which very early on became a war of annihilation. No quarter given or expected by either side, etc.

In this guy’s account of his postwar life, he talks about getting discharged and starting work at a post office in Philadelphia, where he stayed for thirty years before retiring.

At this same post office were two other Marine combat vets. These three guys weren’t in the same units, but they’d all had similar experiences with the savagery that characterized that part of the war.

These three guys became friends, and they’d all get together along with their wives and hang out. Close friends for decades.

But according to this dude, the three men never really discussed the war at all, amongst themselves.

He did say that every once in a while, something funny would happen that reminded one of them of something else funny that had happened during the war. Then they might exchange funny, lighthearted war stories for a bit.

But as far as discussing combat? And loss of friends, and the overall hellish experience?

Not once. Not once did these guys, who shared this unique experience, ever discuss that stuff. Not in thirty years working side by side, and seeing each other socially outside of work.

I think that says a lot about the nature of the war in the pacific, and I’ve never forgotten it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, the Sledge arc and the three-episode Peleliu story is really the heart of the show, for me.