Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Doing some quick wikipedia math, the B-17 had a cruising speed of ~180 mph. A BF-109 has a cruise speed of 370mph. So one coming from the front will look like it's going 550mph. One flying in from the back would look like it's going nearly 200 mph. So I could see them going by in a blur if they were trying to get through the bomber formations as fast as possible to get a few shots off without being hit themselves.

The speeds here are interesting because it reminds me of reading how a Bf-109 ace (can’t remember his name) said that one of the reasons he got so many kills was that he would wait until the enemy plane filled his windscreen before he’d fire. That makes it all the more insane if he was flying that fast while doing this. Of course he was downed more than once due to debris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
No they need to do the theater my grandfather was in: The Caribbean. He was a dentist in the navy and had harrowing stories about stuff like seeing a huge spider in the dental clinic on the ship

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah I thought that was kind of funny about the British officer saying Americans got rowdy and drunk in pubs. Sure, the British definitely do not get drunk in pubs and start fights 🙄

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Jokes on you, Spielberg has a legion of alt accounts