Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

M_Gargantua posted:

If anything this is just making me want a Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors / Battle of Samar / general Leyte Gulf miniseries.

I’ve storyboarded the battle off Samar in my head as a movie a dozen times. It works so incredibly well, but you’ll never get a studio to make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrMojok posted:

There has been a lot of hate directed at the CG. I can see the shortcomings, and I also really like the show.

So it pains me to add to that something that’s probably just a criticism of choices/animation.

I feel like the attacking German fighters are often animated too fast. The head-on passes, yeah for sure they’d whip by in a blur. But some of the passes that are more from 10 o’clock and others from more astern show the 109s/190s just going too fast IMO.

There is some still-extant period footage of what this looked like, from a gunner’s position.

Okay, there, I said it. Just had to get it out. But I really *am* enjoying the show.

WWII aircraft and aircraft history are totally my thing and I’m happy we are getting this now.

e: I am thinking a large bombing group is probably traveling at ~200 mph, at least after they reach the Initial Point?

This is my biggest issue. The CG looks just fine in stills. The airplanes have the right proportions, the detail is good, but the animators just have absolutely no idea how airplanes fly; Any time anything moves, it’s just wrong. I call it the Red Tails effect. Numerous instances of airplanes doing things that are physically impossible; There’s a scene where a B-17 gets hit and starts to yaw in complete circles while still traveling forward at mostly the same speed as the rest of the group. Wings coming off and the airplane not rolling. All of the takeoff/landing/go around scenes set off my aviation uncanny-valley alarm.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrMojok posted:

Someone on Reddit (I know…) just posted that it was believed that not painting the B-17s would make them faster, but actually the opposite resulted— it made the bombers slower because the paint had “…made the planes more aerodynamically efficient by filling the rivet dimples and reducing drag”

Is there any truth to this? I know I’ve got a couple of books about fighters and fighter pilots that claim not painting them in the latter part of the war did actually add something like 4-5 mph to top speed, simply due to the lower weight.

Anyone that thinks a wartime paint job would be more aerodynamic than bare metal is delusional. Pretty much all modern restorations have paint that is just comically better than what they left the factory wearing, both in formulation and in application quality.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aircraft structures are made from clad aluminum. When you polish it and keep it clean, it’s extraordinarily resistant to corrosion.

But ya, wartime aircraft had really short lifespans even when they survived intact. Combat is really rough on airplanes, and other factors would almost always remove them from service well before corrosion was an issue.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I appreciated that they didn’t add a “are you really dogfighting with them?!?!?” line in that scene. When I realized what he was doing, I expected it immediately, and it would have ruined the tension imo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

It's a commitment, but the best anything I've ever read on the Pacific War is Ian Toll's recent trilogy of books on them. I went on a longer spiel about it earlier in the thread so I won't do that again but it's a modern series and seems pretty drat definitive on the overall Pacific campaign. It does a fantastic job of weaving the human story with the tactical/strategic stuff, what it was like on the various home fronts, geopolitics, and gets into the various weapons of war/technology as well. Book 1 (Pacific Crucible) is basically the lead up to Pearl Harbor through Midway, Book 2 (The Conquering Tide) is Guadalcanal through Saipan/Battle of the Philippine Sea, and Book 3 (Twilight of the Gods) is late 1944 through the end of the war.

Seconding this.

Additionally, The Fleet at Flood Tide is by the author of Neptunes inferno, and is also an excellent deep-dive on the USN in the closing phase of the war.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MeinPanzer posted:

This gets at my main problem with this show. I'm happy to have them focus on different aspects of the airman experience, but so much of the non-flying segments so far have just been clichéd. All Germans being either creepy interrogators or vicious, yelling guards; the Americans getting into fights with snooty Brits; downed pilots trying to escape the gestapo with resistance help; the married American man who amid the chaos of war strikes up a relationship with a British woman... The only main cliché they've swerved away from so far has been the camp interns meticulously planning an escape.

I just wish they had trusted the audience enough to present more nuanced narratives.

Masters of the Air: Actually Masters of the WWII Cliché

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Masters of the Air should have been a darkly ironic title.

Basically, shoot it 100% from Crosby’s PoV, and see the entire wing get blown away around you nearly every episode. First episode sets up camaraderie and friendships and what you assume are main characters, and then every succeeding episode (one mission per episode) is a nightmare of lost friends and trauma. Introduce new crews and then have them lost one or two missions later. You could make an actually meaningful series, instead of a collection of WWII tropes collected by a baby boomer, loosely collated into a folder and then handed to a video game art director.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The 1995 Tuskegee Airmen movie is better in every way. It even has real airplanes throughout.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

M_Gargantua posted:

Assuming you mean Down Periscope rather than confusing Watership Down

Down Periscope is the most accurate of all navy movies, if the question is what is life on a submarine actually like.

To the film’s credit this is an opinion that is universally shared by the submariners I’ve met personally, and not just goon submariners.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arc Hammer posted:

While I'd like 10 episodes you could tell this story in 9 if they focused it better. Instead we're getting flashes of a structured narrative interlaced with a dozen other stories that don't feel like they're going anywhere.

It’s very much a producer saying “hey we have to include X” over and over again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

joepinetree posted:

Amblin/Hanks/Spielberg have gone out of their way in every show to make non-American troops look bad/uppity/ungracious in some way. While I would love a good eastern front series, I want these folks as far away from it as possible.

Make the focused unit Ukrainian.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Burns posted:

Did any of you watch/listen to the hour by hour play of the World War Two channel's D-Day special? I would unironically love to see a sort of Longest Day 10 episode series of JUST that day. Focused as gently caress.

You could shoot the whole first episode first-person PoV of a British glider troop to really drive home how batshit the entire plan was.