Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm sad they don't have the veteran interviews at the start, but I can understand why.

It's kind of refreshing to see early-model B-17s--I wonder when the changeover to the -G will happen.

Also: day fighter Ju-88's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Oasx posted:

I just re-watched Band of Brothers, it is even better than I remembered, but man there are a lot of characters in it. I can probably put names to five faces or so.
I am happy if Masters of the Air focuses on a smaller group of characters.

Well, hold that thought, because it's evident from the opening credits that we're going to have a whole raft of fighter squadron characters come in at some point.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm already enjoying this series more than The Pacific.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think Greyhound is the only BoB At Sea we're going to get.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

That's actually another thing with the bombing scenes. There doesn't seem to be any lead time between the bomb bays opening and the explosions on the ground 20,000 feet below.

The action has focused on the trailing elements of the strike, so they're arriving over the target as the lead elements' bombs are hitting.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

The Brécourt Manor Assault is a masterclass of filmmaking and it alone makes Day of Days a strong contender for best episode of the series.

The night shots after the initial jump are their own class in how to light a night scene and make it comprehensible, as well.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’d like a Flying Circus movie. WW1 is hot again

Careful--we wanted a Richtofen movie, and for our sins, we got one.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Waxing fighters to get an extra 3-4 knots out of them was absolutely a thing. I don't know if it would pay off for bombers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

one thing that occurred to me on a rewatch of the latest episode - waiting for the lead bomber to drop their bombs. Is the bombardier in the lead plane responsible for aiming the entire formation's bombs, and the other bombers just drop blindly assuming that because they're in position they'll hit the target area? Or is every bombardier taking individual aim and they're just waiting for permission to drop out of some sort of protocol?

The process changed over the course of the war--early on, every bombardier was aiming individually. As time went on, the procedure went to drop on the leader's drop.