Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Batcat posted:

Fair enough, thinking on it now I can see it weathervaning but I think that would be a particular case with the B-17 and that huge tail. I still don't like that scene though.

I liked the scene because it shows something about pretty boy. That’s he’s a drat good pilot.

I think it works better than trying to recreate currahee. Also curahee worked in part because they had an antagonist in sobel. Same way that topgun worked because the had viper as an antagonist in the air scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Someone on Reddit (I know…) just posted that it was believed that not painting the B-17s would make them faster, but actually the opposite resulted— it made the bombers slower because the paint had “…made the planes more aerodynamically efficient by filling the rivet dimples and reducing drag”

Is there any truth to this? I know I’ve got a couple of books about fighters and fighter pilots that claim not painting them in the latter part of the war did actually add something like 4-5 mph to top speed, simply due to the lower weight.

But not painting, wouldn't it lead to more maintenance cause by rusting?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Oasx posted:

How realistic are the medical treatments portrayed in BoB? It feels a little odd for someone to sustain a major wound with a ton of bleeding, and then a shallow bandage on top of several layers of clothes is supposed to help them.
I know that this is the best you can do in the field of battle, but that bandage sometimes felt a bit too effective.

So battlefield trauma, can be roughly categorised in 3 types.

poo poo that will kill you instantly or in the next 10 minutes.
poo poo that will kill you in an hour.
poo poo that will kill you in days, because of infections and what not.

So battlefield trump management, consists of treating the latter two categories.
So any limbs wound, will get a tourniquet applied.
And after that the wound is bandaged, also to prevent dirt from entering the wound.
The powder they put in the wounds in ww2, was sulfa powder, as an antiseptic/antibacterial treatment.

And then evacuation up the chain, for further and more advanced treatment.

If the bandage is effective, it is because the wound was in 2 of the latter categories.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Forest's haunted!

But sir?

Forest's haunted!

Some of that powder they put on the wounds is a coagulant, to stem the bleeding.

That powder is sulfa powder, an antibiotic.

Anti coagulation powders were first patented in 1989.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I was catching up on the WW2 channels videos and I watched the one on Artillery, and the Americans had timed how long every single type of shell they fired from every single type of gun so they could coordinate artillery strikes from multiple sources, so their barrages were not just 105s of whatever, but a whole mix of calibers that would probably play havoc with the germans because the explosions hitting you would be random.

I'm sure you can find copies at used book stores, but the book Enemy at the Gates give a really good detailed account of Stalingrad, and there is another by the same author about Berlin, but I forget what it was called.

The point of the coordinated artillery barrage, also called time on target, was that research showed that caused the most amount of casualties in the first 6 seconds from the first round hitting, and after that the enemy troops had hit the dirt or found cover.
So 36 rounds hitting within 6 seconds, where much more effective than for example 6 rounds every 10 seconds for 2 minutes.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
The 761st weren’t directly part of the main relief of Bastogne.

Per the wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/761st_Tank_Battalion_(United_States)

As part of the effort to drive the Germans from the vicinity of Bastogne, the battalion fought to capture the municipality of Tillet [fr], less than 15 km west of the town, in early January 1945.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

God, its amazing the British did as well as they did before the Americans showed up. Their entire conduct of ww2 was disaster outside of North Africa. Oh lets invade Italy, the soft underbelly of europe *grueling mountain warfair that basically gets forgotten in favor of D-Day*
Oh well, that didn't work, well, we're on the continent, Gerry must be on his last legs, just old men and boys, tanks don't have any ammo or fuel, lets attack through Holland to get across the Rhine easier. Don't show me all the intelligence that shows that its defended by Panzer Divisions and eastern front veterans, we say its old men and boys, its old men and boys. Obviously these where something that was thought up without thinking about practical applications, as all accounts say they were torn off during the jump, either by the planes slipstream or the shock of the parachute opening.

Oops.

That's kind of a over simplification of it, but its hard to say the British conducted the war in this really weird way, that it was just a matter of time before they won simply because they're British and have a can do attitude.

Ah okay. I never get these American letter/number designations that are used. It makes sense he was the intelligence officer based on how he is shown during the show. He's always looking, paying attention and making inferences on the information he gathers. Probably also the kind of job a Rich Kid gets in the army.

If it was its own show, a POW story would be interesting, but the bombing stuff just suddenly takes a backseat once that takes over. I don't think we see any bombing missions in the back half of the show?

1. Italy and their navy was knocked out of the war, the Germans had to transfer troops to garrison Greece.

Also the western allies were under pressure to attack somewhere in 43, and France was out of the question.

2. Regarding intelligence, it’s always easy in hindsight to find evidence why or why not something is a good idea.
The Dutch resistance was thoroughly comprised, so allied intelligence didn’t trust them.

3. The drop in Normandy was a shitshow, primarily cause the transports were to low and fast. As I recall the British drop on the left flank was better executed.

vuk83 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 9, 2024