Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This show is 10000% selling itself on Austin Butler's matinee idol vibe. I mean, those opening credits alone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Once again, this doesn't look like it cost a quarter of a billion dollars.

Part of that pricepoint would have been affected by significant delays in production due to covid, particularly when two of your leads turn out to be rising movie stars with the leverage to negotiate better deals for themselves when they had their filming time extended.

There'd also have been problems around Cary Fukunaga, who at some point was going to direct the entire season IIRC.

I also noticed that they got John Shiban in to work on some of the scripts. He's a script doctor, the kind of person you call in when your production is struggling to scrape its scripts together, which also suggests mismanagement or delays due to substandard work.

I mean, look at this credit for Part 8:

quote:

Teleplay by : John Orloff & Joel Anderson Thompson and Dee Rees
Story by : John Orloff & Joel Anderson Thompson & Morwenna Banks and John Orloff & Joel Anderson Thompson

All of that would have eaten into the budget significantly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm impressed you guys can see anything at all with shots like this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Laughing Zealot posted:

One would think that all the postponement due to covid would have given the fx studios time to polish the cgi..

I dunno if this is how it works. From how I understand it the FX company would make a bid and have to complete it within a certain time frame as a part of that bid, the show being delayed wouldn't mean more time to work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's just something so loving funny about Austin Butler's look in this. The opening credits always make me burst out laughing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finished the ep. I can see why they didn't bother characterising most of the crew lmao.

Fun stuff, though a little more character stuff, thesis, structure etc. couldn't have hurt at all.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

He's got a purdy mouth

Yeah, legit, I think this might be it. He's so pretty he makes me laugh, because he always looks like he's pising. Unless he's wearing a mask.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

joepinetree posted:

The Austin Butler thing wouldn't have bothered me if we didn't have like 4 versions of him being the only competent and dedicated one in his plane

"were done for we need to bail out" no
"we gotta ditch" no
"we don't have fuel" ditch some weight
"we gotta put our landing gear down" not yet

It's not a fatal flaw, but it does stand out in comparison to the exchanges and discussion in the crosby plane, for example.

Speaking of repetition, I thought the second episode was really bad about using voiceover to underline the differences between US and UK bombing approaches. They have that scene with the fight, whose conflict is largely premised on this tension, and then have Anthony Boyle summarize the conflict again immediately after it's all over. I thought that was really lame.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

Is the show meant to be a mini-series or ongoing?

Mini.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just caught up with it. Episodes four and five were really strong and both moved me to feelings -- I really thought I'd be more hardened against the show thanks to sheer jingoism of the thing, but it worked on me.

It's also a bit clearer where they're going with things now (war of attrition, backed by a dwindling party of regulars). Really wasn't expecting them to kill Austin Butler's character off off-screen, but it works for what they're doing tremendously well. I do wish they'd have done slightly better by the characters though, the other few shows I've seen attempt this structure really put a lot more weight into their characters, so it really hit like a truck when even the unlikable ones start getting killed off. But it works even when the characterization is a bit shallow, which speaks to the sheer strength of this as a structure.

I really wish the one spoiler I know about what's going on with the season (the second last episode is a random side story that features none of the leads) wasn't happening though. Really poor choice.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, fully onboard for POW stuff in the next episode, and Rosenthal is really working for me as the "lead" in a way neither of the Bucks did, but also I'm finally interested in the Bucks now that they're grounded and in captivity looking to escape, so this current setup is working nicely for me. Only 3 episodes left just as the series is starting to feel like it's found its feet is a shame though.

Two episodes left. The eighth episode is a complete side step.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

My only complaint is that so far they have for the most part not really treated the gunners as people and focused solely on the officers. That might be realistic, though I'm not sure. My grandfather was a gunner on a B-25 in the pacific and he kept in touch with the officers in his crew until he passed away. B-25s had less people too, though.

What do you mean by "realistic"? I'm not sure I follow.

Though, yeah, it would be nice if the show did more with its characters, it's been a consistent problem throughout.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
All this talk about classic WW2 TV and I just remembered Manhattan.

Though I guess it is fairly different, in that it doesn't directly feature combat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SuperTeeJay posted:

Oh yeah, the downed crew (who I think we last saw arriving at a train station in Paris?) suddenly turning up at the air base to say goodbye wasn't a very satisfying conclusion to that part of the story. "Will they or won't they get caught" might have become repetitive but either tell their story or don't.

This was almost definitely a consequence of covid delaying the shoot, surely. Surely.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This show obviously had a tremendously difficult development. Nick Cuse and Graham Yost, both respectable writers, are producers on the show but have no writing credits. John Shiban, a script fixer, helped break the opening episode and then vanished from the show.

The third episode has really weird writing credits too -- "Teleplay by John Orloff" but no "Story by [x]" credit to accompany that, meaning that whoever broke the actual story essentially received no credit. (This is distinct from the "Written by" credits that normally happen on episodes, and they're distinct legal terms per the Writer's Guild).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder how much of this was down to there already being delays and them just wanting to put stuff on film just to have things to go in the show. Why did we need to see Westgate doing spy stuff at all?

I'm gonna be really cynical and say that this series was heavily reworked during one of the rounds of delays, and one of these late decisions was that the show needed to include a greater diversity of characters and viewpoints. But they've implemented these characters it in such a way that emphasizes their tokenism.

Very frustrating, but pretty typical of the way that these committee driven productions end up going.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I generally think this kind of show benefits from having the ensemble in close proximity to one another. Which is to say it'd be a good idea to tell a story about the Tuskegee boys or the Hundred, rather than both -- certainly given the struggles this show has already demonstrated in terms of characterisation and focus, splitting the show even further would only exacerbate already existing problems.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't the point of it so you could film more natural looking outdoor shots in a studio? Like it was just intended to be background while you built a set in the foreground.

Tell that to half of what it gets used for.

Nearly every outdoor scene in the new Avatar The Last Airbender is just some people being crowded into a neat circle of tangible space, big enough to fit maybe two market stalls and some actors, but not quite large enough to allow for significant lateral movement by e.g. the camera or actors.

There's a scene late in the season where the characters arrive in what's meant to be a thriving city with a significant populace, and there's maybe 15 people on screen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I think for scenes where they are in the planes and the background is either sky or ground is a good use case for the volume. It allows them to get proper lighting and also lets the actors react to things outside the plane because it's happening on the volume screen They built an entire B-17 for location use, as well as the front of one for use in the volume. It's really bad when they should just be filming on a regular set or on location.

Yeah, agreed, with the caveat that production has backgrounds decided on before filming, and not something like a Shazam 2 situation.

The Netflix show 1899 did some pretty cool things that you could really only achieve with Volume, involving actors touching and interacting with the wall despite it displaying things that shouldn't be interactable, like the horizon. That was pretty cool. It's a technology with possibility, but when used badly it just adds to the weightlessness that a lot of poor implementations of typical CG already suffer from. Except worse, since it's all encompassing.

I think this show gets it right during the plane scenes though, as was said.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was gonna wait until the finale aired before suggesting this, but my going theory is that the series was reworked multiple times during various production stoppages, resulting in a fairly broken product.

e.g. I suspect that pretty much everything Bel Powley's character (Westgate) gets up to after her introductory episode was not originally on the cards, and her role was expanded in a series of quick subplot scenes because... I dunno, I can only speculate. Because it's cheaper than the war scenes? Because the show didn't have significant roles for women? Because she was available for filming but some of the dudes from the previous episode weren't?

Anyway, this resulted in the ridiculous montage in the most recent episode, whose cross cutting with Anthony Boyle's scenes implies that Powley took roughly eight hours to walk up a corridor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Westgate does feel like an attempt to expand the depiction of the war beyond male soldiers since there's zero female speaking roles in Band of Brothers (unless you count screaming Dutch collaborators getting shaved or women riding Tom Hardy) and The Pacific's only has the rather limited Basilone romance and Leckie's awkward fling in Australia.

This is Caroline Dhavernas erasure and up for this I will not stand.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ninurta posted:

I'd ask how much this cost, but after Secret Invasion, who knows where the actual money went.

Holding contracts during covid, movie star money and I suspect having to pay out Fukunaga after they dropped him from directing the entire thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jehde posted:

Is this actually how it went down? HBO was presented with a third amblin WW2 series a decade later, and they denied it being produced based on the quality of the premise? I suppose it's possible, but it seems a bit farfetched with how I understand media works these days.

Unclear. Here's the timeline as I understand it:

HBO had been developing it with Amblin Entertainment back in 2013, but that stalled out over the next few years. The actual reasons for this have never, as far as I can tell, been reported, so your guess -- unworkable premise, technology that wasn't there yet at an acheivable price point -- is as good as mine.

Apple and Amblin then announced they were developing it in 2019 (which, depending on how this transfer went over this could also account for the show's costs) at which point it only went into active filming in 2021.

July 2021 the show went on pause due to covid, which is around the point where additional directors (other than Cary Fukunaga, who worked on the first half of the series) were announced. Allegations of Fukunaga's misconduct broke in October and continued into the following year.

I don't know when filming completed, but wikipedia says something about them having a twelve month license for the mock RAF base they custom built for the show. So my guess is that they completed in 2021 and then the show went into post for several years.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 15, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

I like Barry, he looks like something Hergé would draw. Was a shame to see him die so early but IIRC at the time of filming he wasn’t really a known actor.

Killing Of A Sacred Deer was 2017, which is probably (still?) what he's most famous for. But in 2021 he'd have just filmed The Green Knight and Eternals, and possibly his The Batman cameo, so he was definitely known as an up and comer in the industry. Enough that his early death would probably be intended to come as a shock.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Was James Murray's character randomly vanishing after episode six historically accurate or just some sort of actor availability thing?

I reckon there was a draft of this season where this guy was more prominent and actually got something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrMojok posted:

I suspect they totally rewrote episodes 6-8 at some point during development hell, when they had executives or new writers saying “We should show the POW camp, work a romance in somewhere,” etc.

And perhaps the original plan for episodes 6-8 had a bunch of the stuff we’re talking about, that we would have liked to have seen.

Eight was almost definitely rewritten, given the episode's director has a writing credit on it.