Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

Remembering the movie or show where a parachute comes down in the village and the wellbeing of the guy is just about as important as the scramble to salvage the silk

The Parachute Ball (Short 2012).

It’s a short movie with two Germans landing into a farm house with two old gals who want to go to a dance. One is a good nazi, one is a bad nazi, they fight, and the ladies thank the good nazi and make their dresses out of the silk in it. It’s a good little short story, can recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Eason the Fifth posted:

Rewatching The Pacific and Band of Brothers in between episodes of this. Noticed a few things:

The crop of actors in this show seem impossibly young compared to the people who played e.g. Leckie and Guarnere (although Sledge will always be the kid from Jurassic Park). The men doing bombing runs into Germany weren't far removed from kids, but neither were the 17-year-olds jumping into Normady or fighting in Tarawa, so it's still strangely noticeable.

BoB has some hard scenes but The Pacific is brutal and gets into the characters in an unpleasant but hugely important way. You could contrast the non-combat eps of BoB with Leckie's episodes away from combat (on libo in Australia and then on medical leave after his issues urinating himself); the first has a wholesome sense of brotherhood, while the second is gently caress-you honest.

It was completely accidental, but BoB aired right before and the first couple of months after 9/11, and I think the sense of patriotism and nationalism carried over into the public sentiment for the show. The Pacific came out in 2010 after a decade of war and uncomfortable truths about American brutality and I don't think it's an accident the series reflected that. I'm wondering what (if anything) Masters of the Air will inherit from the present.

The actors in this show actually match much better some of their counterparts in reality. In BoB, they tended to be bit too old. The real war had 23 year old majors flying airplanes, which in a TV show would always feel a bit too young.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Batcat posted:

in that crosswind landing Cleven throttles up the engines on the wrong side of the plane, though since the whole point of that was to show what a hot-poo poo pilot he is maybe he was making it harder for himself on purpose idk).

He puts rudder left, right wing low, and then adds more thrust on left side to help counter the leftward movement on ground track.

That appears to be a physics workable solution to it if I remember the steps correct.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The wing being dipped low is the main deciding control for the ground track, the balance of rudder opposite and the asymmetric thrust are what keep the plane aligned mostly right.

If there’s no left side thrust increase, I believe it would not be at a favorable bank to to keep the right wing low, even with the rudder being kicked on the left.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

Ball turret worst turret confirmed.

The death of Curtis (Barry K) was a real shame. Quite effective in how they set it up, having him almost make it, but then I guess something snagged the front of his fort, pushing it into the ground at an impossible angle. RIP to a real one.

The decision to go down with the plane was an irresponsible and dangerous, and it's really frustrating to see it even again on TV. Just throw your drat buddy out the door and pull his cord, his best bet is getting found by Germans before he dies.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

McNally posted:

Both times he tried crash landing he came up short of his intended landing area. Bailing out would have been a better choice.

Especially since the plane is hosed, in both cases it can not be saved, and it was nigh uncontrollable, which warrants hitting the silk.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I love The Pacific, and loved Sledge in it. However, I read With The Old Breed after that. What a disappointment. A disjointed book with poor grammatical structure. A mediocre writer would be an insane praise for Sledge as an author, sadly. He has passion and cool stories, but can't write well at all.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Almost no Jews from Western Allies were separated or sent to concentration camps. There’s few exceptions, but generally you could expect to be able to wear a Star of David and be treated fine at the POW camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
World Wars have bit of a different level of acceptable risk. The objective is not to avoid risk.