Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I started rewatching The Pacific after watching the first few episodes of this and I was surprised at how Heroic and Good the soldiers are portrayed as. Even if they do bad stuff they're still heroes because what they're doing is necessary and important.

When compared to something like All Quiet on the Western Front it feels downright hoo-rah patriotic (though of course WW1 is often portrayed as pointless while WW2 is the just war).

A similar series I enjoyed as much as The Pacific is Generation Kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I have no idea what Hogan's Heroes is but I just imagined the last Masters of the Air episode post credit scene being Sledge coming in to invite Buck into the PTSD initiative.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

This is very tangentially related but has there been good/accurate depictions of Pearl Harbor in cinema/TV? I know there's that movie from the 90s (ish?) but I heard it's terrible.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Well I watched Midway and I can't say I enjoyed it at all. Though I couldn't really pay attention past the first half.

It's hard to believe it was made in 2019, feels like an early 00s film, . There's no pathos, the characters are trite, warfare is a milquetoast and not even slightly terrifying PG13 affair. Heck, the CGI is probably worse than Masters of the Air. What is even the point?

Some choice moments:

The line from Doolittle "people.. They're bombing people.." like they didn't just do the same thing a few hours ago.

Midway gets attacked but they still got time to stop and calmly quip at each other.

"This is for Pearl" says the bad rear end pilot as he single handedly wins the war.

The Good Honourable Japanese stays with his ship as it goes down.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Though to be fair, even if the military as a whole knew it doesn't mean that the rank and file did. Heck, even if they knew theoretically it'd still be a shocking site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Doktor Avalanche posted:

And in reality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenstrasse_protest

The protests, which occurred over the course of seven days, continued until the men being held were released by the Gestapo. The protest by the women of the Rosenstrasse led to the release of approximately 1,800 Berlin Jews.

Despite his promise to Hitler, Goebbels did not try to deport the men of the Rosenstrasse to Auschwitz again, saying the risk of protest was too great

The protests on Rosenstrasse were the only time in which a protest against the "Final Solution" in Nazi Germany had occurred against the regime.

Yet if you read the whole article it was clear that there were very special circumstances here. It allowed the regime to do poo poo that it wanted to do anyway. Citing this as an example "oh if they had just protested even a little it would've solved it".

I think it would've helped, especially in the early days, but it is a bit overblown here when you look at the details of what happened.