Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The interesting question is the Russian air force vs. US Air Force. US Navy was the best in the world by a large margin in 1945. The Russian army was better than the US and British combined. In a hypothetical post war (and non nuclear) fight the battles in the air would have a big impact on events too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6xLMUifbxQ

German production was it's own worse enemy. Whoever said that Germans weren't great engineers, they were just perfectionist was spot on.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I rewatch Band of Brothers every couple of years, and in the final scene when Winters quotes Grandpa about being a hero in the war, I choke up every time. Hell, I choked up a little bit just typing this.

I will always maintain that the interviews with the real soldiers are what really makes Band of Brothers an unrivaled piece of art.

The chance to talk to them during production had to help with the authenticity. The real life pilots covered in MOTA are all gone, most for a few decades.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

There was a The Rest is History series on the rise of Nazism. One of the lessons is how gradually the Nazi state introduced worse and worse measures, but also how much local volunteerism there was. The hatred for Jews predated the Nazis. They just let it loose and accelerated it whenever it cooled down.

The German complicity was part fear but it's also part having someone in authority tell you it's alright to hate. They absolutely earned that feeling of shame. It's also true the Nazi state was intent on turning anyone who wasn't cooperative into dirt.

So screw these people but also shutter at the situation they were in.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

One group not mentioned yet is Jehovah's Witnesses, who were identified with a purple triangle. They were put in because they refused to join the Nazi party or to fight. They were the one group that could have left the camps by simply signing a paper saying that they renounce their religion.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's a great show, but god drat it's hard to watch.

This is going to come out of nowhere but the end of The Pacific made me think "This is why jazz became what it was post war." I don't know that I'm expressing it right but it was a rando thought considering the headspace of these Marines post war. All those veterans trying to decompress and find peace of mind, it would make sense that they would be drawn to a genre that was relaxed, free form and had no demands on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The US also benefited from the British experience. They could sit back, watch how German tactics played out and figure out a counter for Blitzkrieg.

Also, by the time American forces were in Europe the luftwaffen was shredded. The German army couldn't show it's face in the daylight without risking being shot up by roving P-47's.