Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

the last signal... posted:

Really enjoyed episode 1, but can't help but think it's a major missed opportunity that they didn't make the entire first episode centered around training like they did with BoB. Really interesting to see some of the ins and outs of flying one of those behemoths

I did really enjoy the whole startup sequence they did. I love little details like that. I also like the old instructional videos that show how to use the norden bomb sight and whatnot. Including those things would have given us a chance to get to know the characters more and understand what they are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Madurai posted:

Also: day fighter Ju-88's?

Seemed like they weren't intended to fight the bombers and maybe just saw them as a target of opportunity before moving on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's also the matter of weight. Planes are designed with a max takeoff weight and a max landing weight. It's a lot easier on the landing gear and a lot easier to go around in case of a botched landing with a lighter plane.

Also, there's no point in bombing something if you can't tell if you hit it or not. They said in the show, the British are happy bombing anything German. The Americans want results. You can't check the results if you just drop bombs through clouds and can't see what was hit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

XYZAB posted:

I hope the rest of the series spools up nicely because I’ve got my RCAF veteran grandpa into the idea of getting together and watching it every week from here on out. I, on the other hand, will be watching The Pacific for the first time to get ahead of any spoilers in this thread. :madmax:

Spoilers: The allies win.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Someone earlier mentioned that they missed the clips of interviews of the actual people from easy company in BoB. I feel like that probably helped the actors for BoB. They were able to watch the interviews of the people they were portraying and some even got to meet the real people. Obviously, most if not all of the people portrayed in this show are dead by now, so all they'd be able to do is watch interviews if any are available.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That could be true. Also, some of the less flattering characterization from BoB was from the people themselves mischaracterizing other people who weren't able to speak for themselves. For instance, Lt. Dike. He was portrayed as being an incompetent buffoon despite having performed several heroic acts that they didn't tell us about. The show has him breaking under pressure and being unable to command the attack on Foy when, in reality, he had a shoulder wound and was messed up from that. Plus you had people like Winters and Lipton who seemed to just not like him, so they didn't care if they got the facts right.

So I guess it's a double edged sword. If you build a show out of the after action reports, then you can get as realistic depiction of what happened as you can, but maybe you don't get the personality of what happened. And if you build a show off what the survivors say later, you can get a really charismatic depiction, but it can end up slandering real life people. So I can see Apple wanting to play it safe how it depicts people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Grandpa probably doesn't have the pedantic eye that the average goon does to nitpick every single detail of special effects.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
World War II was nothing more than a silk transfer from the US to France and Holland.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think one thing (out of many) that bugged me in the first two episodes is that they seem to be going out of their way to make the Germans "faceless."

The enemy fighters never have enough definition. The Ju 88s barely get seen and I'm sure if you slowed things down to a single frame at a time the dedicated fighters would still be unidentifiable blurs.

Once again, this doesn't look like it cost a quarter of a billion dollars.

The other two shows didn't feature much of the enemy either.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder if it really is down to them wasting a bunch of budget renting the volume. I think people are too busy huffing their own farts about what a technological marvel it is to realize that it still doesn't look real and actively looks bad sometimes. Yeah it's really cool that the background is real time rendered from the perspective of the real camera, but it still looks like a sound stage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'll third the SAS suggestion. I first learned of it from a clip on tiktok about the motor pool being french and giving them enough fuel for a 500km trip that was 500 miles. The whole show is amazing and it's crazy that it really was just created from some guy deciding he wanted to do it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
New episode out. I really liked this one. It had a lot of brutal action, can't imagine what it was like to be on this mission.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Having it be in the air definitely helped. Not need to worry as much about compositing, because it's all going to be CGI unless they got some shots from the air to put planes into.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When they did that I thought "They got the guy out of there first, right?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
While it would be cool to see from the perspective of a 109/190/A6M5 Zero zooming through the formation, it is probably better that we don't. The show is from the perspective of the bomber crews.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are making a VR version. Hopefully that's good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

The decision to go down with the plane was an irresponsible and dangerous, and it's really frustrating to see it even again on TV. Just throw your drat buddy out the door and pull his cord, his best bet is getting found by Germans before he dies.

He intended to land it, not just crash with his buddy just because.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, I assume they didn’t spend a lot of time characterizing a lot of the people because a large number of them are going to die.

Take a look at the IMDb cast page for the show. The cast is enormous and many are in just one or two episodes.

This doesn't necessarily mean anything. I don't know if Apple just doesn't let people know who is in what episode or what but there have been some shows where a person is only listed as being in two episodes because only two episodes have aired and then they showed up a bunch later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i hope there's some blowback on command because knowing that 2/3rds of the troops involved in the super-complicated never-been-done-before plan weren't going to be there and figuring 'gently caress it let's roll' anyway seems a little irresponsible

LeMay later became chief of staff of the air force, so, probably not much blowback on command.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wish they would bring the production quality of Greyhound to this show. Maybe it's easier to film around an old war ship, but that movie looked great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Oasx posted:

Why could the bombers we saw take off in the fog, but the other bombers couldn't? It seemed like it screwed up the whole operation.

I'm pretty sure we saw the planes radio each other in a previous episode, but in this one, everyone seemed to rely on visual evidence to see who bailed out and what was going on, did I miss anything?

Because their radios are open to everyone. While there was secure radio communication available, the technology at the time required a record that played noise and then another record that would play opposite noise to subtract the original noise to get just the voice back. This isn't really possible for a bunch of planes. So when someone keys their mic to say "Hey, Frankie, speed up, you're falling out of the formation", Germany hears that transmission and now they know you've got bombers in the air and are about to fly to Europe. When they are radioing each other while flying around in Europe, Germany already knows there are bombers in the air, so it doesn't really matter if you draw attention to yourself with a radio transmission for 100 loud as gently caress planes flying overhead.

I don't know if they used them here, or if they just aren't showing it, but there was a plane called the Assembly Ship. It was another bomber that was brightly painted with stripes and polka dots and its job was to get the other planes into formation quickly. Without radios, it's hard to tell what plane is what when they all look the same aside from nose art. So you get up into the air, look for the clown plane and you know that you're supposed to form up behind that one in a certain position. Then once everyone is formed up, the lead plane of each formation can figure out where they are supposed to be with everyone else.

If the field itself is socked in, they might not know what the conditions up in the air are, so they don't want to risk it. LeMay probably figured it would be fine once they got above the fog and out of the clouds and could form up. Though I think it was still stupid to try to be a tough guy and go anyway when the other squadrons weren't going.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I know this is a serious show, but I want them to include something stupid like when airline pilots accidentally key the radio for the cabin announcement.

"Ricky, is Cleven still following us?"
"Hey Ricky, let him know I'm right here."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
While watching the show, I was wondering how often bombers might hit other bombers when trying to shoot down enemy fighters. Then I found out about this video. Turns out the answer is not very often. The guns had fire interrupters and were mounted in a way to prevent them from being pointed at vital parts of the plane. I also imagine that the gunners get pretty good at knowing where a friendly bomber is going to be, so they will know not to shoot in certain directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHczTWkw-c

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Doing some quick wikipedia math, the B-17 had a cruising speed of ~180 mph. A BF-109 has a cruise speed of 370mph. So one coming from the front will look like it's going 550mph. One flying in from the back would look like it's going nearly 200 mph. So I could see them going by in a blur if they were trying to get through the bomber formations as fast as possible to get a few shots off without being hit themselves.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I mean I assume something akin to this happened in real life but in terms of a television episode I'm not sure what the intended takeaway is for the audience? That anybody who didn't achieve this miracle was just not good enough? Somebody said Buck reminds them of some dude from a propaganda film and yeah it really feels like it at times.

I don't think we are meant to take away anything from this aside from "war is really hosed up." We are just shown what people had to go through and the decisions they made in the moment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you're just reading into it too much. Why are you presuming they didn't think to dump extra weight overboard? At no point was it presented as Buck coming up with a new technique for getting more range that no one had ever thought of before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i also don't get the reading that buck is hyper comepetent, he seems to be scared and fronting more than anything

when he grabs his copilot and screams "we're just going to sit here and take it", he doesn't radiate cool leadership, he just seems to be justifying this incredibly lovely situation to himself

He says it in the scene. He didn't want to sit out the rest of the war in a pow camp if there was a way for him to make it to Africa.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Mabel Thompson has already lost 3 of her hunk sons, so we need to go find the fourth and bring him home.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I do think it's funny that they act like the bomb sight is this super amazing device when it really wasn't. Yeah it lets you drop bombs on the target, but it wasn't as accurate as they acted like it was, which is why they were still pretty much carpet bombing. It could account for the plane's speed, and the wind at altitude, and the side slip and all that, but it couldn't account for any winds between the plane and the ground. They were still dropping dumb bombs from tens of thousands of feet and had to hope that some of the bombs dropped in the formation landed on the actual target. It got the job done, but Norden advertised it like it could drop a bomb into a pickle barrel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You didn't complain about the CG a single time, I know you didn't really watch it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe they should have written Hitler a letter to have his planes fly slower so we could get a better look at them in a TV show 80 years later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

I get a little confused about when the release time is, because I'm in the outer badlands of the south Pacific, but I'm assuming its in the next number of hours! excited!

It will be up within the next 15-20 minutes from this post. It never seems to go up exactly on the hour but within a few minutes it shows up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It felt like the Apollo 13 episode of From The Earth To the Moon except at least there was an Apollo 13 movie you can watch to see what happened.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Did we lose Bucky off screen, wtf? I'm guessing we get a flashback next episode and he's captured.

Bucky was in London. Buck was the one who flew the mission and it seems like his plane went down.

REAL LIFE SPOILERS, NOT FROM THIS EPISODE:

Based on the real history Buck's plane went down and he ends up in a POW camp. Bucky's plane goes down on this next mission and ends up in the same POW camp. Buck is in the POW camp until January 1945, so this we probably won't see him fly a plane in the rest of the show. We'll probably get some episodes of them in the camp. I assume we'll see the bombing campaign from someone else's perspective considering we haven't even seen any Mustangs yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

He wrote the date on his paper Day/Month/Year, which I think how everyone does it except for Americans because we refuse to make sense with stuff like that.

I guess I'd get blasted then because they had us write the date as DD Mon YYYY when I was in the air force.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Look how they grizzled my boy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree, it did give us a view of what the war was like for the normal people of England. I assume the England we saw in BoB was more rural, so less likely to get bombed like London would be. Though it does seem weird that they'd get a 2 day pass to London, where they could end up dead from a German bomb vs staying on base that isn't getting bombed. It was a drastic difference compared to the Australia episode where they were out of the fight so it's just them living their lives and also there's some American Marines in town.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just realized that the bombing of the Messerschmidt plant was like all the baby Messerschmidts swarming the bombers for attacking their mother. Really makes u think.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

XYZAB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XnvlmcBiAk

This guy basically goes into way more detail than any sane person would care about re: what they got wrong in episode 3. Which I appreciate.

Luckily it seems like these are all effects mistakes. I assume they had experts on the sets to make sure the actors were doing things correctly for the time, and maybe the effects people didn't have that as much. But they could likely fix these things in 20 years when the show gets remastered for 8k or whatever. They could re-render the gun barrels without the sight posts and the K3 gunsight could just have the filter and the range finder sight added in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Phenotype posted:

So what was the big deal with the Norden bombsight? I was watching the third episode again while I was doing chores, and the bombardier even made a big thing about it when they were lightening the plane, he was all pissed they had to throw his baby overboard. I can't tell what it's actually doing, though. I mean, okay, the guy seems to be lining up his little target on the buildings below, but how that all relates to a bunch of bombs falling haphazardly out of the doors I don't understand.

The Norden bomb sight is an analog computer that is able to take the plane's altitude, speed, and side slip into account and point directly at where it thinks the bombs will hit when released. When going for a bombing run, the bombardier has control over the plane via the autopilot. He can point the plane where it needs to be and even fly the plane on a parallel path to the target to account for wind all while the bomb sight stays pointed where the bombs should hit. He waits until the target gets to the crosshairs of the bomb sight and releases the bombs and they hopefully land where they are supposed to. It wasn't as accurate as Norden claimed it was, but it was very advanced and did a decent job.

Here is a training video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=143vi97a4tY

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 10, 2024