Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

the last signal... posted:

Really enjoyed episode 1, but can't help but think it's a major missed opportunity that they didn't make the entire first episode centered around training like they did with BoB. Really interesting to see some of the ins and outs of flying one of those behemoths

They didn't even have to show ALL of the training - just their last bombing practice run before making the flight to England. I felt like the entire Greenland sequence was superfluous since we already figure out Bucky is an rear end in a top hat naturally through how he acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The narration also feels very heavy-handed.

We're only two episodes in. I hope it hits some kind of stride, but this is not what I was expecting after so long in development with a quarter of a billion dollars spent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chubby Henparty posted:

Remembering the movie or show where a parachute comes down in the village and the wellbeing of the guy is just about as important as the scramble to salvage the silk

Actually, in this instance I believe the guy is a German but all the women in the village come out of the woodwork to harvest the parachute silk before the Home Guard comes and scare the poo poo out of him because they all have knives and scissors.

I unfortunately can't remember the title of the movie either. :sigh:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think one thing (out of many) that bugged me in the first two episodes is that they seem to be going out of their way to make the Germans "faceless."

The enemy fighters never have enough definition. The Ju 88s barely get seen and I'm sure if you slowed things down to a single frame at a time the dedicated fighters would still be unidentifiable blurs.

Once again, this doesn't look like it cost a quarter of a billion dollars.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

vuk83 posted:

Same way that topgun worked because the had viper as an antagonist in the air scenes

The only antagonist in the "air scenes" in Top Gun is Maverick.

Everyone else is doing their job. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, so that was a watchable hour of television.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

algebra testes posted:

Also them Just teleporting back to England felt a bit off as we've seen them fly everywhere else.

I'll forgive it as the denouement of this episode finally made it feel like a coherent show with higher stakes. The lack of having to see lovely CGI also helped.

But I can't forgive the fact that the characters don't seem to have any experiential aging in their faces. Butler's character looks the loving same as he did in Greenland.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Greyhound was good, but they really didn't need to turn the uboats into supernatural killer whales.

I kinda feel like Greyhound did not do any favors to this show. Hanks et al. clearly got all :hmmyes: about the green-screening and minimal set work and copy/pasted it for MotA.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I just binged 2-5, and I am confused on one thing, how did Crosby Survive when everyone else apparently died. He just kind of pops up and Bubbles is all "i thought you were dead!" and he's all "Nope!". Did he get fished out of the North Sea?

He navigated his plane to an RAF base, apparently "one degree off" and they'd have ended up in the water.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Honestly, when the bombardier was waiting I thought the lead plane was a dead stick with everyone in the nose section dead and the plane was stuck on autopilot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Two episodes left. The eighth episode is a complete side step.

Yeah, I can't help but think the Tuskegee Airmen inclusion is just a teaser for a series that'll never see the light of day or be scheduled to debut in 2051 or something.

It's interesting how the show gets better the *less* they rely on the inexcusably sub-par CGI.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Weirdest sex scene ever plus cat soup? this show is pissing me off.

Yeah, Pvt. Janovec knew how to properly lay some pipe.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

the pacific had the huge advantage of rami malek being one of the main characters

Malek hadn't really hit it big yet. Mr. Robot was still a ways off. His biggest claim to fame before then had been playing the Pharaoh in the Night at the Museum movies.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The worst thing one can say about this show is that unlike BoB or The Pacific, I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about seeing the next episode. That might be muddied by the fact that I'm paying for Apple TV to watch it instead of filez'ing it.

I went out of my way last night to end my evening early to watch Shogun because it's so much better of a show it's crazy. I look forward to that show.

I'm hard-pressed at 7/8 episodes to recall a single scene from this show thus far that I'll seek out nostalgically on YouTube in the years/decades to come.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 7, 2024

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

There's no cobra maneuvers and no "I'll get you, you africans!" so it's not nearly as bad as Red Tails.

And how a human can still function while getting riddled center mass by 30mm Minengeschloss that make 7.62mm holes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember my grandfather telling me that they were so fast that he could only see them for a second and it was only a plane he saw late in his tour

This is the 262, I don’t know if I ever asked him about the Komet specifically

It didn't help that Hitler considered the 262 a strike aircraft first and foremost and not a fighter, and that really hampered its development and fielding because Messerschmitt then had to put R&D on making a strike fighter instead of just an interceptor. And that they had lost so many of their most experienced pilots by the time it was operational. AND the fact that it ate its own engines wickedly fast.

And. And. And.

Wehraboos love to talk up the 262 like it was some unbeatable wonder weapon (like every other "superior" maintenance nightmare the Nazis built to impress The Little Corporal), when in actuality it was a prototype they hurried into service. The Nazis did a lot of interesting sub-variants of the 262 but all that did was give the Allies and the Soviets new ideas.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 10, 2024

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"I slept through the invasion?"

"Yeah, Croz. The CGI team says drinks are on them for not making them have to render low-level bombing runs. They were able to fill the time with more haggard-faced shots of Austin Butler."

I think another thing that bothers me is that they're still focusing more on Austin Butler, Callum Turner, and Barry Keoghan (:rip:) when Anthony Boyle and Nate Mann are unquestionably the dudes carrying what little of this show that works on their backs.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 10, 2024

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

PS if you ever a chance to go EAA Airventure in Oshkosh, WI for whatever reason, go.

It's extremely difficult to get a hotel reservation anywhere near Oshkosh because you have to book them literally the day the rooms become available.

Staying within driving range and then just getting there stupidly early and waiting for the gates to open is the most viable option for most.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Is there a ww2 thread?

There is a MilHist thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

That is all really cool information. I had a vague idea how planes flew, but nothing about their ability to glide. Just falling out of the sky would only result in loosing control surfaces I assume?

Now look up what autorotation entails. :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The book itself is kinda messy as its more of a history of the bombing campaign versus a cohesive story narrative, and then you have the development hell issues of the show on top of it.

I'd have honestly preferred another five years of development hell to whatever this is.

It's no wonder HBO passed on this. Apple TV certainly got what they wanted, though, which is ~:20bux: of my money.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

I enjoyed the show. Probably won't rewatch it in the future though.

Yeah, again, that's what messes with me. There's not a single scene from this show that I can see myself looking up again in the short to long term future.

I even thought the "cards" at the end were poorly done because "oh hey, you probably don't know the Tuskegee Airmen well enough so to make up for the fact that we put them at the back of the bus end of the series, here's the info on the two who were on camera the most."

And lastly, I felt like the "stars" of this show were Croz and Rosie, but they couldn't ever get away from/over the loving ~heartthrobs~, one of which was a pro-grade rear end in a top hat and the other was James Dean'ed to the point where his every moment on screen felt like I was watching a Top Secret! remake.

This show needed more time in the oven. We wanted fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and instead we got borderline raw cookie dough. It's still (mostly) edible, but it's still a loving disappointment when you were expecting cookies.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Just rewatched Currahee from Band of Brothers and seriously, even one episode of training in Masters of the Air would have made a huge difference. In Curahee you get to know characters, personalities, histories etc all with the ever looming first mission hanging over everybody's heads and getting closer and closer, as opposed to Masters of the Air showing Buck and Bucky drinking and dancing before Miles Teller Buck goes to Iceland and acts like a huge rear end in a top hat all while Val Kilmer Buck spends the episode looking like he (justifiably) hates his "best friend".

Yeah, ideally the show should've started with their last training sortie before making the Atlantic crossing, with no showing of the "pit stop" in Greenland.

"Well, fellas...we're as ready as we're gonna get" juxtaposed with "Bucky" getting in those two sorties and seeing what it's like.

This show managed to be both abbreviated and superfluous all at the wrong times.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

buddy they're in the uk. holland and the uk are not that close. that was also the one person from the ground crew with lines too.

Much like Top Gun: Maverick, with Hondo being the only enlisted representation for the entire Navy.

Maybe in Top Gun 3 they'll have *two* non-Nobles who'll actually have a moment where they're not talking about officers and their derring-do! :allears:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

So what was the mission that secret spy English lady was on? What did she accomplish?

It appears she was able to pass as French and trained in IMINT. But that what the Resistance (and French refugees who went to work with the SOE) was for, which makes those scenes all the more superfluous, because

From what I remember in the book, and it's been a while, she wasn't a spy, she just worked for/with SOE.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chair In A Basket posted:

That could be problematic

:godwin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mllaneza posted:

A big part of the Red Army's success in 1944-45 was that they'd built up a strong leadership corps out of officers who'd survived 1941-1943. They had much more experience at large-scale combat than the Americans did. Montgomery had good experience with 8th Army, but the Soviets had officers with a year of two of successfully running army groups.

It does beg the question about how much better the Soviet Union would've done in WW2 had Stalin not :commissar:ed all the Generals whom he thought he couldn't trust, or who could conceivably outshine and potentially overthrow him.

Darth Brooks posted:

The interesting question is the Russian air force vs. US Air Force. US Navy was the best in the world by a large margin in 1945. The Russian army was better than the US and British combined. In a hypothetical post war (and non nuclear) fight the battles in the air would have a big impact on events too.

The persistent problem(s) with the Russian/Soviet Air Force have always been lack of training, lack of spare parts and veteran maintenance personnel, inefficient and lovely engines, lack of prompt logistics (when you can elephant walk C-17s in a row that stretches farther than the eye can see, you win), and only until VERY recently with the Su-3x series and MiG-31 variants which have very respectable radars, an over-reliance on Ground Controlled Interception that's still paying bloody dividends in the sense that you almost had a nugget Russian pilot shoot down a UK Rivet Joint because he "misheard" his orders (the missile didn't track).

No other air force in the world can do this, and it's been the same since post-WW2, the airplanes have just gotten faster and fly higher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCbCv3T1HJM&t=124s

Even in the first real direct match between the Americans and Soviets over Korea, the MiG-15 wasn't suited for dogfighting and air superiority - it was a ground-controlled interceptor designed to knock the poo poo out of heavy bombers. Even in the most *even* of matchups, where veteran WW2 pilots went up against each other in their respective side's best jets, I think the kill ratio was still ~1.5:1 in favor of the US, and nearer to 6:1 when less experienced pilots faced off against *any* American pilot.

I'm also reasonably sure that even in the heyday of the post-Barbarossa Soviet Air Force, they never pulled off a B-17-style heavy bomber formation with Pe-8s and TB-3s, given that they built less than 100 Pe-8s, and, uh, Stalin did not really use the Pe-8 very well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petlyakov_Pe-8#Wartime_use

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 20, 2024